cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back up bearing kit

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
My local farm store has replacement trailer bearing kits by timken. I would like to get a kit to carry with me as a backup. They have a 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch, and a 3/4 inch kit. My seals are 2 1/8 inch I D , so I don't know where to measure to decide which kit I need. I have the original bearing numbers, but get lost trying to cross reference. Any suggestions? I depend on you folks.
Thanks
AL
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill
26 REPLIES 26

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Homey B wrote:
OK, I'm new to RV owning, and maybe I missed something here.

We're all talking about changing hubs/spindles/bearings on the side of the road, after an at-speed failure, when we have the spouse/kids/pets all going crazy about "where are we? what happened to the trailer? what are you doing? when will we be going again?"

Talk about steely nerves... For me, there's a time/place for roadside assistance, and this seems like one of them.

IMHO, of course. YMMV, as it quite possibly does.

Keep your bearings packed like your owners manual says and you shouldn't have any problems. I have never had a problem in the past 20 years with bearings.
HR

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you think you would need to carry a spare set of bearings?
HR

NEWS4US
Explorer
Explorer
You can get Timken Bearings at Autozone. They handle most of our Timken product.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I didn't do it at roadside, happily there was an exit and CG close by where I noticed the problem. Just north of SLC. But I did the repair at the CG and had a heck of a time finding the parts I needed. But that was mainly because my hub uses the Dexter Nev'r lube bearings. Finding the bearings was not a problem but the other hardware: e clips, washer and so on were a big problem. Since I caught the problem right away, or rather someone else flagged me down, the hub and axle were OK.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Homey_B
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I'm new to RV owning, and maybe I missed something here.

We're all talking about changing hubs/spindles/bearings on the side of the road, after an at-speed failure, when we have the spouse/kids/pets all going crazy about "where are we? what happened to the trailer? what are you doing? when will we be going again?"

Talk about steely nerves... For me, there's a time/place for roadside assistance, and this seems like one of them.

IMHO, of course. YMMV, as it quite possibly does.
Jeff and Reni (and Scooter)
2004 Ram 2500 QCSB 4x4 Hemi 4.10
2008 Copper Canyon 252FWRLS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
while your on this subject, every time you stop, feel the hub, it should be just a tiny warm. if its hot to the touch, it needs attention. very soon.

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I carry a complete hub all put together , and filled with grease ,for my boat trailers ,keep in a plastic bag, ready to install. and the tools to change it. pull yours apart and get the inner and outer bearing numbers and the seal . any parts store should help you.

This is the best insurance policy. If you ever suffer a bearing failure on the road, or at speed, you will probably destroy the hub (or at least the races) as well in the process. It happened to me with our boat trailer. I was lucky enough to have been near a Tractor Supply that was open for another 30 minutes. I was able to buy a non-galvanized hub assembly to get us home and got a true replacement after we got home. Eventually I picked up a spare tire and hub carrier for the boat trailer. We always carry the old spare with our utility trailer now.

Don't forget a brass drift or hammer to remove old portions of the bearing. If they overheat during the failure, they have a tendency to seize onto the spindle.

On the subject of insurance against bearing failure, an IR or Laser thermometer is a great tool to check for abnormal wheel temps when you make stops.

OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
In my own case I have found TT bearings impossible to find at Napa or anyplace except for a RV parts store.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure the right ones are, which is the point I was trying to make.
Superbumper

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Your axles and hubs are probably Dexter you might want to check with them for the correct replacements. You can buy third party bearings but I would never think to buy them at a farm store. Those are probably intended for local use flatbed trailers or maybe horse haulers. I have bought replacement bearings at NAPA but I had the right part numbers.

BK
You probably know Timken bearings are good ones. I have to get that out in the open.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a complete hub all put together , and filled with grease ,for my boat trailers ,keep in a plastic bag, ready to install. and the tools to change it. pull yours apart and get the inner and outer bearing numbers and the seal . any parts store should help you.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your axles and hubs are probably Dexter you might want to check with them for the correct replacements. You can buy third party bearings but I would never think to buy them at a farm store. Those are probably intended for local use flatbed trailers or maybe horse haulers. I have bought replacement bearings at NAPA but I had the right part numbers.

BK
Superbumper