cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Question

AzRocket
Explorer
Explorer
Since I keep my RZR stored in my toy hauler, I was keeping the trailer plugged in to power so I could keep the RZR on a trickle charger. But someone told me I shouldn't do that because it would damage my trailer battery. Had something to do with it being more like an actual charge to the trailer battery instead of a trickle style charge, thus hurting the battery. Anyhow, my question is, is it ok for me to just leave my trailer plugged in all the time or will it hurt my battery?
2011 Ford F-250 XLT
2014 Genesis Suprdme 32 CR
2013 Polaris RZR XP4 900 Walker Evans
12 REPLIES 12

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Page 3 here...

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/ComponentManuals/Converter-WF8955-PEC-OperatorManual.pdf
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

AzRocket
Explorer
Explorer
I searched and found I have a WFCO 8955PEC converter. From what I read,it sounds like a 3 stage converter and will allow a trickle to my battery.

The main (generic) manual that came with my trailer didn't specify which converter I had, but said to just check the electrolyte level often if leaving it plugged in. Thanks for the suggestions/info guys.
2011 Ford F-250 XLT

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Ok well I have my trailer stored need to my house and it's plugged in 24/7 along with my toys on chargers no issues at all. Just check your battery levels once and a while you'll be fine!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
disconnect the Razor and trailer batteries when stored, reconnect a couple of days before leaving to "top off" the trailer battery.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
I have had my RVs plugged into shore power 24/7 except wheh towing for over 30 years with no problems. Old single stage converters had a tendency to boil batteries. Newer converters are not made that way any longer. But, if your worried replace the converter with a newer three stage model. Check your batteries water level monthly and quit worrying about what others might tell you.

x2

I used to leave my RZR in the hauler on the charger w/ no problem. If you are not using 12v there is no reason for the converter to switch modes. 120v just feeds through.

Same here.....
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I have had my RVs plugged into shore power 24/7 except wheh towing for over 30 years with no problems. Old single stage converters had a tendency to boil batteries. Newer converters are not made that way any longer. But, if your worried replace the converter with a newer three stage model. Check your batteries water level monthly and quit worrying about what others might tell you.

x2

I used to leave my RZR in the hauler on the charger w/ no problem. If you are not using 12v there is no reason for the converter to switch modes. 120v just feeds through.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can open the door of the converter/charger unit and the model info should be displayed. You also should have a folder that came with the trailer showing all of the added appliances etc.. This will have one for the converter/charger unit as well... My folder was stuck inside where the hot water heater was located. They also come inside the kitchen drawer sometimes as well.

Its really a good idea to learn all of the things associated with your trailer while at home. Finding things out up in the high country of Northern AZ is not a good place to go looking for things when troublshooting failures. This will free you up to enjoy the RED ROCK canyons and mountains around the Sedona area...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

AzRocket
Explorer
Explorer
I know there is a battery disconnect inside the trailer. Not sure if that disconnects the battery from the entire system or what. I know if I don't pull the switch out, things won't run off the battery, but it will still start my generator. I don't have a solar panel because I don't know how I'd run the wire into my trailer to my RZR.

I don't disconnect my battery out of laziness I guess. It actually never crossed my mind.

Not sure what convertor I have. Where could I check that?
2011 Ford F-250 XLT

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Whats model of your convertor?

If you have a 3 stage convertor then plugging something in will probably kick it out of float mode and charge at 13.6 volts...

I see nothing wrong with it... Just check water once a month...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Install a battery disconnect switch on the TH.

Get a 20 watt solar panel & use it to maintain the RZR battery.

No need to be connected to shore power for that purpose alone & by disconnecting the RV battery from the system you won't have to be concerned about it possibly boiling out.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
So why not disconnect your batteries completely from the toyhauler? If you are always plugged in to 110, then that is where the draw should be from, not battery.