cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to lock up utv

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, im going to be hauling my Yamaha Rhino on flat bed trailer from Ak to Ca this fall. Our 5th wheel is already in Ca so we will be using hotels on the way, so what's the best way to lock the Rhino to the trailer so I don't get up & find it gone?
Thanks Ken
2014 Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700
15 REPLIES 15

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Large cable with a large lock that small bolt cutter won't cut through. And string on a few small xmas bells with zip ties on the cable as well. Watch you stuff around Bear Valley cut off or Barstow area CA
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the in put, I have insurance & im building a 2" receiver that locks rhino to trailer using a receiver lock. & I like the idea of taking off my alum rims & tires, I can put them in truck bed under locking cover. We are snow birds so when I get south going to look in to in closed trailer.
2014 Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700

Y-Guy
Insurance
Heavy duty cable/chain
Lock Alarm

We open hauled all of our ATVs and 8 gas cans. Cable locks help but I liked the use of the 15' Lock Alarm. If the cable is cut the alarm is set off, same if they try to break it. I used it when we transported and while at camp.

Keep in mind that if they can get the trailer off easily they can have the whole thing gone very fast too. Insurance is your best bet, the other things keep the honest people honest.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Anmacc2 wrote:
I'm always amazed by what I read here.... In forty years I've never done anything more than simple precaution and I've never had anything stolen or vandalized.
You must live in a very rural area and never travel in the "new world order" of what is mine is mine and what is yours is mine...... ORV theft is very high in major riding areas. Many are not registered or titled, so very easy to sell.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
If thieves want it bad enough they will get it.

A good friend of ours was on his way to Canada to hunt Caribou two years ago. Stopped at a restaurant for lunch. Came out and his pickup, trailer, and UTV. were all gone along with all their hunting gear and guns. The truck was recovered a year later when it was sold by the thieves and the new "owner" tried to register it. The authorities said it wasn't uncommon in that area of Canada for unscrupulous outfitters to steal UTVs and such and never come out of the backwoods hunting camps with them. Almost never recovered.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
DuneJunkie wrote:
thiefs look for easy takes. they don't want to spend time getting to your stuff.
so, that being said, make it difficult. heavy metal chains locking them down to the trailer. not only to they spend time cutting, it also creates noise. back the trailer in so the are not able to just roll them off a trailer and go, park other vehicles on either side.
however, i agree with the others, have everything well insured w/ photos. in the end, if a thief wants it, they will get it.

I agree locking it to the trailer with a good chain/cable is one way, but I would make it hard to get off the trailer too, by locking the ramps/ramp gate up too.
Another thing if you have any after market accessories radio, gps, lights/light bars, and wheels/tires that can be taken off do so, as these are what most thieves are after, just ask my SIL.

P.S. make sure that the trailer is locked to the TV the best way too.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Consider selling it up North and buying another rig down here.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm always amazed by what I read here.... In forty years I've never done anything more than simple precaution and I've never had anything stolen or vandalized.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

DuneJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
thiefs look for easy takes. they don't want to spend time getting to your stuff.
so, that being said, make it difficult. heavy metal chains locking them down to the trailer. not only to they spend time cutting, it also creates noise. back the trailer in so the are not able to just roll them off a trailer and go, park other vehicles on either side.
however, i agree with the others, have everything well insured w/ photos. in the end, if a thief wants it, they will get it.
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC Duramax/Allison, with 18K SuperGlide Hitch
2008 385 Fleetwood Gearbox
2015 Polaris Rzr4 1000
2002 Honda 400ex
2009 Polaris Outlaw 90

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 30' 3/8" Gorilla cable and good security padlocks. All this does is keep the petty thief honest, as the career criminal will have the proper equipment to defeat ANY precautions. When you lock up the machines, do not forget the ramps and/or tailgate too.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 dozen ATV's running around the Western US, 2 per flatbed trailer. The field crews that use these ATV's stay in motels. All we do is run a length of chain through the ATV frames and around the trailer steel sides then use a lock to secure the chain.

In the past 15 years the only ATV that has been stolen was in Tucson AZ and it appears that the crew forgot to chain this one up. Its running mate was still on the trailer chained up.

We leave ATV tire repair and emergency stuff in the soft bags setting on the ATV's and have never had anyone mess with that stuff. Some times the trailer with bikes is left in the motel parking lot with just a tongue lock attached and no one has ever drug off a complete trailer set.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using an enclosed trailer? That would be a good start.
If not, can you take the wheels off and chain it to the trailer?

DOITHARD is correct.if someone really wants it, they will probably take it. Deterring and slowing down the thieves is about all you can do.

Bedlam
A cheap motion activated alarm on a dedicated battery and a round chambered if the alarm does not scare off potential thieves. Loss of property is not worth taking a life and it is not worth risking your life to protect your property, but they don't have to know that.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend a guard dog remain with the UTV for the duration of the trip and do what DOITHARD suggests.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU