cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boat behind 5th wheel

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone tow a small boat behind their 5th wheel? Do you use a camera's to keep track of it? Interested in people who actually tow a boat.

This is not a thread about the legality of double tow. I already know in some states it is illegal but in others it is perfectly legal.

I am also aware of length limitation and stopping requirements.
24 REPLIES 24

Helipilot
Explorer
Explorer
We tow double with a camers, primarily to keep an eye on the second trailer and load. We just drop the small trailer, park the fiver and then position the other trailer where needed. Good luck!
Roger and Barbara
On the pale blue planet, retired and happy!
2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW
2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3 with vanity slide

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I towed a 18' 3400 lb bass boat behind a 26' 5th wheel trailer for over eight years. The boats trailer outside/outside tire was 102" so I had no problems seeing the back of the boat and the trailer from the fenders on aft.

We traveled at nite much of the time so a camera wouldn't show anything.

My camera does shows up good in the dark. I have a camera for a couple reasons. I tow a lot with my cover on the boat so I like to be able to keep an eye on the cover. Mainly I like the camera because I can see when I'm clear to get over in front of someone. I can see my fenders but with the overhang of the motor and prop you have to guess or run farther holding up traffic to make sure you're not cutting to close. It also makes it nice when hooking to the boat when doing it by myself. I know exactly when to stop and line up straight with the hitches.

Here's my view........

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
One thing to consider, I have a class 3 hitch mounted on the back of my Daydreamer to haul my cargo trailer which worked just fine however I'm getting some frame flexing now and was told by Cedar creek that they won't do anything for me as the hitch negates the warranty which I call B.S. on, this is the first negative thing I've had to say about Cedar creek!

Red Green: We now come to the part of the show called "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!"

It's a Lippert thing - if you add the hitch the warranty is toast. I had the same thing on my Keystone, but one summer and the warranty is over anyway so who cares ๐Ÿ™‚

The Redwood comes with a Lippert 3,000 lb hitch, so warranty is covered if you don't exceed the weight.

Something to keep in mind towing a trailer behind, the side stress on the spring hangers can cause problems on those cheap lightweight Lippert spring hangers and shackles - watch them!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 18' 3400 lb bass boat behind a 26' 5th wheel trailer for over eight years. The boats trailer outside/outside tire was 102" so I had no problems seeing the back of the boat and the trailer from the fenders on aft.

We traveled at nite much of the time so a camera wouldn't show anything.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider, I have a class 3 hitch mounted on the back of my Daydreamer to haul my cargo trailer which worked just fine however I'm getting some frame flexing now and was told by Cedar creek that they won't do anything for me as the hitch negates the warranty which I call B.S. on, this is the first negative thing I've had to say about Cedar creek!

Red Green: We now come to the part of the show called "If it ain't broke, you're not trying!"
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Piece of cake!

I didn't have a camera, but a 2 axle trailer tows very steady and true. As others have stated, I could always see the fenders in the mirrors so I never really felt the need for a camera.

Had to stop doing the boat because the new 5er is longer and I exceed the length limit locally, but do tow a Jeep. I installed a camera for that.

Just be sure to make sure your hitch and pin box are rated for both trailers.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Anyone tow a small boat behind their 5th wheel? Do you use a camera's to keep track of it? Interested in people who actually tow a boat.

This is not a thread about the legality of double tow. I already know in some states it is illegal but in others it is perfectly legal.

I am also aware of length limitation and stopping requirements.

To answer your (real) question:

Whether you use a camera or not is your choice.

No different that "keeping track" of a single tow that's hard to see, like a toad behind a MH.

Some do, some don't.

Whatever rings your chimes...:W

~

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I double tow, a tandem axle 3k# atv trailer with surge brakes, and I do have a rear camera. The trailer does track within the arc of the fifth wheel, and the camera really isn't necessary.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Last one, with the old truck at Moab.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
With the Lund fishing boat. I notice NO difference pulling this tandem vs towing solo.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
With the ATVs, at the top of the infamous "Ike Gauntlet".

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
With the old truck. Went from Colorado to Glacier NP this trip.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thousands of miles with this.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
With my Malibu.