cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Border letter

N6761U
Explorer
Explorer
I was just looking at my online statement for the loan on my 5th wheel and noticed something about a Border Letter. After opening it I discovered that in order to take my RV into Canada or Mexico I must first make a request 30 days prior to leaving stating when I will leave and when I will return. In turn they (BofA) will send me a Border Letter (permission slip) to take the RV out of the Country. Has anyone else discovered this with there loans.

Steve
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I've had my FW to May-hee-co twice, but never thought twice about it, other than to call my agent to make sure I'd be covered. Would never have thought about Canada. I have no intentions to go back to May-hee-co, so that's a moot point.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's likely expensive to repo out of country, so if you were a deadbeat and didn't pay the note, you could roll the rig into Mexico and tell BoA to come and get it. Sounds like so-called border letter is more to let BoA know the rig is out of the country, and and was said to be be sure insurance will cover it while it's there.

If it's a law, it's there to protect the lender, not you, so there is nobody to "catch" you in Mexico. Sure BoA could call the loan if they found out, but likely wouldn't, and even if they did, likely couldn't get to the rig to repo it anyway.

That said I would play by the rules and get the letter if I needed it. I have not seen any such requirement in my USAA loan docs/

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Wondering if it has anything to do with your insurance coverage...since B of A basically owns your rig, maybe they want to make sure that you have out of country coverage...??

This would certainly make sense. They may be just looking out for their interests here.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
The law says if the RV is financed, it MUST have that letter in order to be taken into Mexico and I believe Canada has the same law. However, most folks do not acquire the required letter and as long as there is NO reference on your registration as to a lien holder, no one is the wiser. However, if you are caught in a foreign country without the letter, I imagine the lien holder has the right to call the loan. A catch 22 situation.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if it has anything to do with your insurance coverage...since B of A basically owns your rig, maybe they want to make sure that you have out of country coverage...??
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of that before, and we took ours into Canada last year. No one asked for anything other than our passports.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.