cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Braking expectations

wacdmc
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought I would throw this out there. I have an 11K pound fifth week towed with my Chevy 2500. I have the Tekonsha Prodigy as my brake controller. This unit is about 7 years old.

My question is should this setup be able to lock the camper's brakes at slow speed when I have the controller set to maximum during setup? My experience is that it will not. I have had the RV dealer check the brakes and they are working fine.

I'm just wondering what others experience with similar sized campers and if I'm just expecting too much out of the brakes.
33 REPLIES 33

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
If you want good trailer braking, do the Disk Brake upgrade. You'll be amazed at the difference.

That is an understatement!

My Dad and I swapped his electric brakes on his HH Premier to Kodiak disks. He was amazed at the difference and wished he had done the conversion much earlier. He also has the oil bath bearings and likes them.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want good trailer braking, do the Disk Brake upgrade. You'll be amazed at the difference.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
To check my brakes, rolling at 3-5 mph, manual lever will stop everything, truck and trailer. THIS IS ONLY A TEST. P2 towing 15K. Works for me.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
The instructions that came with my brake controller is that you do not want the trailer brakes to lock up.

Locking up the trailer brakes means the tires have lost traction and you no longer have control over the trailer. It can lead to a jackknife situation.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am curious do you know anyone or have you used a MaxBrake and a Direct link? If so how do they compare?

My built in controller on my 11RAM works better than a P-2 but nothing compared to the MaxBrake. I have read about people that had a MaxBrake then went to an integrated 12 or newer RAM and did not install their MaxBrake. I am looking forward to using the builtin controller on my new 15 RAM. If it works as I hope it does there will be a lightly used MaxBrake on the market!

Funny how those that never moved beyond the Prodigy products think they have the best available. My first trip with the MaxBrake showed me that there was a whole new world of braking available. If my MaxBrake fails and I can not find an used replacement I will look at Direct Link. Chris

I really hated the P-2 but I figured at the time it was the best out there!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Timay wrote:
Does the MaxBrake get its input from the trucks computer (like the Direct Link)or is it attached to the brake line?

Tim

Load Cell attached to brake line.

Chris

Don't forget to top off the brake fluid before heading out!

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
X2 with bigdon68 and Schomer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timay wrote:
Does the MaxBrake get its input from the trucks computer (like the Direct Link)or is it attached to the brake line?

Tim

Load Cell attached to brake line.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Timay
Explorer
Explorer

Tim

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am curious do you know anyone or have you used a MaxBrake and a Direct link? If so how do they compare?

My built in controller on my 11RAM works better than a P-2 but nothing compared to the MaxBrake. I have read about people that had a MaxBrake then went to an integrated 12 or newer RAM and did not install their MaxBrake. I am looking forward to using the builtin controller on my new 15 RAM. If it works as I hope it does there will be a lightly used MaxBrake on the market!

Funny how those that never moved beyond the Prodigy products think they have the best available. My first trip with the MaxBrake showed me that there was a whole new world of braking available. If my MaxBrake fails and I can not find an used replacement I will look at Direct Link. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timay wrote:
Anybody know how the Direct Link compares to the MaxBrake? Do they work alike?

Tim

Direct link plugs into the vehicle test port and grabs data from the can-bus signals to work the trailer break system. So if done correctly then it is close to a factory integrated controller. Problem seems to be there are few users available to report on how it works in real life!

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody know how the Direct Link compares to the MaxBrake? Do they work alike?

Tim

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Once set up your stopping with the RV should feel the same as stopping without it. It will take longer to stop due to the extra weight.

With a 7 yr old set up it's time to check all of your connections. On my old TT I went through and soldered all of the connections. I had cracks in the insulation where the wires were ran through the axles. Don't forget to check the pigtail to the tow vehicle.

If your due for brake shoes consider replacing the entire backer plate assembly, magnets and brakes shoes. Shop online for best prices. This is a easy switch, once the hub is off you cut the two magnet wires and remove 4 nuts. The hard part is making sure you mount them on the correct side.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Why is the prodigy junk?

Remove the whole brake master cylinder part...I don't care about an obsolete product....not that it's not any good it's just not available or supported by a manufacturer any more.

The prodigy is still supported. Every device I have ever owned from Tekonsha has performed flawlessly. I recently wired in a Prodigy to my Minivan over my old stand in Tekonsha Voyager that I failed to remove from our last truck when we sold it. That Voyager was a great break control once I read the instructions and understood how to use it.

The boost feature on the Prodigy seems easy enough to set and the gain seems easy enough to set.

So please tell me...why is prodigy junk.. Because I have no problem going back to a Voyager if it is.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I should not really call it "junk". Tekonsha does make quality products. I had the P-2 and got sick of constantly having to change the setting depending if I was going thru a campground for example and had it set on 3 it would send you thru the window. Or be on 1 on the freeway and hit the brakes to basically have nothing happen then urgently get the setting changed.

Once you use an integrated controller or a MaxBrake like I currently use other controllers just don't come close!

Properly setup you should NEVER feel the trailer back there when braking. You should feel exactly like you do when driving your TV solo while braking.

Maybe the P-3 is better, I personally don't know.

"I should not really call it junk."

"Once you use an integrated controller or a MaxBrake like I currently use....."

"Maybe the P-3 is better, I personally don't know."

The above snippets speak for themselves..:R

The P-2 and P-3 are inertia controllers.
They work well, but don't react the same as a system "integrated" with the TV's brakes.
"Back when" controllers *were* integrated with a "T" at the master cylinder. ex: Kelsey Hayes (sp?).
Worked excellent....until ABS came along.

Truly "integrated" controllers are/were: Brakesmart and MaxBrake.
Jordan was a different system - manually actuated when the TV brake
pedal was depressed.
All three are/were excellent controllers - although (about 3-4x) more expensive than the inertia type.

All three are out of business...:(
So - *NO* customer support if you purchase a used one somewhere..:(

Direct Link is the newest (and currently only) integrated controller
available.
DL has applications for most "normal" TVs.
For some tow vehicles -like HDTs- it's a truck-by-truck "maybe", with the company offering a firm "maybe" (in advance) for compatibility.

In summary:
An inertia type (like the P-2 or P-3) should be rated as "good" or (the P-3) as "better".
The DL rates a "best" - at a price.
Just as - disc brakes are a quantum leap above drum brakes!

Which one do you want -or can you afford- for your next panic stop?..