cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Building a trailer receiver/hitch to tow behind fifth wheel

Reeko08
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if any body has a set up like that. If you do, send me info on the specs that they use to build your receiver. (Thickness, square tubing. Etc) pics will help a lot. Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
C.B. wrote:

Here's what I put on my Cedar Creek.
Link:
www.buyersproducts.com/product/trailer-accessorylight-towing-hitch-receiver-180?criteria=1801125
Not only used for towing.

Stabilizing also.

C.B.

This is just what I have been looking for. There is no price on that link. Mind if I ask what it set ya back?

Sorry for the delay. Medical problems.

Check with Tractor Supply for a price.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one I found on ebay that would fit the I-beam frame. I think I would also add a V on the front of it from the center of hitch forward about 3-4 ft to the frame on each side just to give the center more support.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASS-3-MATTE-BLK-RECEIVER-BUMPER-TOW-KIT-2-RV-TRAILER-HITCH-FOR-UP-72-FRAME/382309797147?hash=item5903708d1b:g:1PMAAOSwjodaMa3J&vxp=mtr
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We had our Jayco HT 26.5 RLS modified with a professionally done hitch right after we bought it with very heavy duty square tubing, welded to the frame which had been reinforced about five feet forward towards the axles. I am unable to attach pictures but, if you want some, I can send them to you. Send me a private email address and I'll get them sent to you. We tow a Crestliner Super Hawk 1900 boat and trailer attached to our hitch and, when we weighed it last year, the package weighed over 3,500 pounds.
John A. Lichty

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OH NO, we now have the welding police. Yes, you can have a better looking weld with a wire feed, but hard to get the penetration of the good old stick welding. Do you really think those welds are not up to the application????
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
Bipeflier wrote:

Have you looked under any RV's lately? Those don't look too bad by comparison to what Lippert is turning out.

Good point. I have 15 years of structural welding under my belt and it just makes me sad to see people call themselves a professional and turn out work like that. I would be ashamed to take someones money for that.

I have seen some real nice looking โ€œprofessionalโ€ welds that held almost as good as chewing gum.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Given the state of the average FW frame build, I'd reinforce the frame all the way to in front of the rear spring hangar before hanging any sort of receiver on the a$$ end. I remember one build detailed here, where the builder went 4 or 5 FEET forward, with 3 cross-members, all attached to the tube attached to the receiver tube. Was towing a small fishing boat, IIRC.

A question to the engineer types... Could something strong enough be built out of aluminum for weight reduction? Would you have issues with bi-metal reactions, if you did? Just curious...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:

Have you looked under any RV's lately? Those don't look too bad by comparison to what Lippert is turning out.

Good point. I have 15 years of structural welding under my belt and it just makes me sad to see people call themselves a professional and turn out work like that. I would be ashamed to take someones money for that.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
Itinerant1 wrote:
This is what I had added. I picked up a 12" long 2" receiver from napa and had a welding shop build this. I use it mainly for the bikes but I suppose it could pull a lite trailer.

Please dont take this the wrong way because you didnt build this, but I would go find the person that did and slap them up side the head and ask for a refund. They should not be taking peoples money and calling themselves a welding shop.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
No offense taken. After 2 years 15k miles some off road rough conditions and still there. Those welds might not be machine perfect but they are better than some I've seen on trailers being turned out on new trailers that folks buy everday and think they have a well made trailer.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
This is what I had added. I picked up a 12" long 2" receiver from napa and had a welding shop build this. I use it mainly for the bikes but I suppose it could pull a lite trailer.

Please dont take this the wrong way because you didnt build this, but I would go find the person that did and slap them up side the head and ask for a refund. They should not be taking peoples money and calling themselves a welding shop.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Itinerant1 wrote:

I would have put the cross pieces/channels as far apart as possible and the rear one as close as possible to the rear fiberglass IF I was going to pull a trailer. More than good enough for two bikes.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
I built our own hitch for the 5th wheel. There are two 45 degree gussets behind the hitch plate that extend rearward and upward. Main mounting slides into the box frame 18" on each side. It's rock solid and good for a 7k trailer. First two pics are unpainted pre-assembly, and material is 3/8" and 1/2" thick flat plate except for 2x6-3/16 rectangular tubing laid flat times 2

Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer

12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any specs for you but I've had a custom fabed rear receiver hitch made for all three of the 5th wheel trailers we've owned. Plus several GN equipment trailers. I like my hitches heavy for pulling other heavy trailers if need be.

The braced box style hitch is tied into the main frame rails.
I like 4"X 4"X 1/4w steel square tubing at the rear and 2" X 4" X 1/4"w to the main frame rails and front. Basically a welded box with cross bracing welded to the main frame rails.

I did a quick google and youtube and several custom made hitches popped up.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides