cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bumper Hitch

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I am looking at installing a bumper mount hitch receiver on mt 2007 Laredo 29RK. No plans to tow any type of trailer but want to attach a bike rack for two bikes or a cargo platform to set my generator on. I know the bikes are not heavy, the generator is a bit heavier. Looking for feedback on if this is acceptable or should I go with a frame mount. Thanks in advance.
M. Dollar
11 REPLIES 11

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Dollarbill60 wrote:
Hello all. I am looking at installing a bumper mount hitch receiver on mt 2007 Laredo 29RK. No plans to tow any type of trailer but want to attach a bike rack for two bikes or a cargo platform to set my generator on. I know the bikes are not heavy, the generator is a bit heavier. Looking for feedback on if this is acceptable or should I go with a frame mount. Thanks in advance.

As the others have said, the "bumper" is basically a sheet metal tube to hold the stinky hose, nothing more. 2 ways to go on this. Cut off the old tube and weld on a new, heavier, tube. You likely won't be able to use the tube to store the hoses, so be prepared for that. This is that I did on my Komfort and the shop said I'd be good to go up to 300 lbs capacity, but NOT any towing. Second would be to add a frame mounted hitch assembly. Many FWs now come with holes in the frame to allow a bolt-on kit to be installed. If you don't have the holes already, you're SOL until you're out of warranty, as =any= mods to the frame are likely to void the warranty. Once out of warranty, you can drill or weld to your heart's content to get what you want.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Not to hi-jack the thread but as a side note that may be helpful.

What some of the problem is that they bounce a lot and if the rack is not tight in the receiver that added movement only amplifies that bounce.Stressing not only the mounting point but also the bike rack.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. I have a whole tool box full of them.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider. This will keep everything tight.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

So does drilling 2 holes in the receiver, top and one side, and welding on nuts so you can screw in a couple bolts to keep the hitch tight. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
check trailer manf could void warentee

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to hi-jack the thread but as a side note that may be helpful.

What some of the problem is that they bounce a lot and if the rack is not tight in the receiver that added movement only amplifies that bounce.Stressing not only the mounting point but also the bike rack.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. I have a whole tool box full of them.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider. This will keep everything tight.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
The replies were what I expected. Found a Curt and a Draw-Tite. I will go frame mount Class III. Thanks.
M. Dollar

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Only if it is connected to the frame.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
I was just reading up online on some other forums about this, be careful the bumper can fail. You might want to weld up some support brackets on it.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not really a bumper. It's a light gauge metal tube designed to hold a sewer hose. It can and will fall off with any amount of weight applied to it. Have a local welder look at it and weld on some reinforcements.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dollarbill60 wrote:

You MIGHT get away with bikes hanging off that weak a$$ bumper, but I would never hang a generator off of it.

Our bikes will soon be going on a Pin Box bike carrier, and the generator will be in the truck bed. I have followed other trailers, and watched bikes almost bouncing off of carriers, sure would not want my generator back there.

Frame mount is the only way for the generator.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well the receiver should be attached to the frame.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Cumminalong
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a frame mount,look up Curt Hitch,they are not expensive for the quality ,well built unit.