cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bumper pull toy hauler, adding a second A/C unit

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 34' unit, open garage and would like to install one of the new A/C heat pump style units so I can have heat and cool in my bedroom. My concern is the front of the toy hauler slopes dowward for about 15 feet to the nose. This would put the A/C unit at an angle and not flat like most all I have seen. Just curious if this is a problem running the unit or not?

Next I know I left out some information needed so let me have it with the questions!:S
12 REPLIES 12

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Mine weighs about 10,500 empty. We push 14,000 with 150 gallons of water, both fuel tanks full and four ATVs. Of course that is with all the food and other items. We pull it with a 3500 Ram. No problems pulling it around but the 1,900 lbs of tougne weight was a challenge. We ski camp so the added heat to the front would be awesome as it gets real cold up there when it is in the teens at night.

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
I’m in the same boat as you, been trying to figure out how to install one up front. Not to hijack your thread, but how much does your TH weigh and what do you tow it with? I have a similar size, 35 ft weighing about 11k loaded up with golf cart, bikes etc

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
WildCard is right look at the breaker panel and you should see a breaker marked "second AC"

I had a different model a few years ago and it was wired for a second AC in the garage area. There was a second breaker and when you removed the vent garnish there was a electric junction box there. Made the install real easy.

If it had not been prewired I don't know if I would have added the second AC.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
1st thing I would do is look inside the breaker panel for the spare wire
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
I am concerned they prewired the second unit at the vent in the back instead of the front. I guess I wil need to pull open cealing around vent area to see if there is wiring. It could be a real challenge otherwise as you stated and my wife probably wouldn't like the exension cord hanging down by the bed!

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are 50 amp that's good for a second AC. The next thing is, are you prewired for a second AC in the bedroom? If you are prewired then I would have to guess that the manufacturer thinks it's OK for a second AC in that location. If your not prewired then you got some work to do....
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can, my bedroom unit is at quite an angle. I've not looked inside to see how they handle the condensate. That's the only real issue, the A/C cycle is not gravity dependent.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most 50 AMP Unit's come pre-wired for a 2nd AC in the bedroom so you should be all set. I would check with the local dealer to be sure but that is standard.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes my TH is 50 amp. It has a standard unit in the main area but my bedroom does not get much heat or cooling from the ductwork since it is so far away.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Bob wrote:
Is your rig 50AMP? Will this new addition require 50AMP - I know running both at once is quite the load.

Yes two A/C's = 50amp
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Is your rig 50AMP? Will this new addition require 50AMP - I know running both at once is quite the load.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen them mounted on sloping roofs before as long as it's flat where its going(no off jointed area's) besides, you won't have to worry about water puddling with a sloped roof. I'm sure others have more info than I....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)