Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bunkhouse Fifth Wheel recommendations

Family__Guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all -

My family and I traveled for 4 months in a basic, older fifth wheel, and decided we want to do a year or more in a newer model across the US and through western Canada and Alaska in the summer. Based on the criteria below, I have only found one model:

2013 or later Keystone Avalanche 360RB (apparently no longer manufactured)
The Avalanche 390RB is the closest current model
http://www.keystonerv.com/avalanche/

Here are our criteria:

MUST HAVES
1. Bunkhouse with:
A. two slides
B. lots of inerior storage
C. Either a built in desk to accommodate 4 or room to put a table and 4 chairs
D. half bath
E. two bunks
2. At least 5 slides (Bunkhouse: 2 Kitchen/Living: 2 Bedroom: 1 but would prefer 2)
3. Dining table that seats 4
4. Price around $25,000

NICE TO HAVE:
1. Double refrigerator
2. Automatic Levelling system

MUST NOT HAVE
1. Definitely NO exterior kitchen
2. Poor quality

I have looked at dozens of floorplans and prices, and so far I the Avalanche is the only one that has everything we want. However, the reviews I've read have been mixed.

The other model that I would love to have, but is simply out of our budget is:

Grand Design 365DEN
http://www.granddesignrv.com/solitude365-floor.php

With that model, we would have to take out the couches in the rear and add our own bunks and table/chairs, but that's not a big deal for us. The main thing I like about the Grand Designs is the amount of positive user stories regarding how they stand behind their product.

I have looked at and rejected many other models based on floorplan alone, and may update this post later with all of those that I have reviewed but decided against.

I would certainly like to have at least 2-3 models to choose from, so if anyone has any other models they would recommend, I would certainly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Family Guy
11 REPLIES 11

Family__Guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all -

Thanks very much for all the information.

In particular, Mastercrafta - thanks for the Cypress 38BHR - It certainly looks like the floorplan we want, and will see if I can find one without the outdoor kitchen.

I fully realize that with the $25,000 budget we're not going to get exactly what we want, nor is it going to be the best quality (perhaps that item may need to be demoted to "nice to have"). I am looking at options that would enable us to squeeze another $5000 into our budget, but $30,000 would be our absolute top figure. I am not expecting to get a new model for that price, so am looking mostly at 2012-2014 models.

To add some context, we purchased a 2004 Forest River Wildcat for $8600, and spent another $5000 in 4 months repairing it. The real pain that we are hoping to avoid is repair delays happening about one day or more out of every two weeks. At the very least I am hoping that a 2012 or newer model may have less repairs than our old 2004 Wildcat.

I did find a 2013 Avalanche 360RB for $30,000, but wasn't really ready to pull the trigger because I wanted to see if there was anything out there that was close to it for that price. It was sold the day after I let them know I was not able to move forward, so I know I need to be 100% ready when a deal like that comes along.

Thanks again for your comments, everyone - I really appreciate the feedback.

Family Guy

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
that's way too low of a budget, mine is a lightweight 1/2 bunkhouse layout and sticker price is 62K (Canadian) for a 2016.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

mastercraftka
Explorer
Explorer
2008Wildcat wrote:
The $25,000 budget is the killer. You won't even find a quality travel trailer for that much.

Yes I missed that on the OP. Hec we paid 35k last year for a new trailer that was a POS. The one I have now sticker price is 82K and it doesn't have auto level.
2016 Cypress 38BHR
2011 2500HD 4x4 Chevrolet Duramax

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
The $25,000 budget is the killer. You won't even find a quality travel trailer for that much.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

mastercraftka
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Cypress 38bhr 5 slides, residential fridge etc, but with the outdoor kitchen. When looking at we didn't look at ALOT but didn't see many without the Outdoor kitchen.
I wished this one would have the auto level and I think the Oakmont we looked at did but it just wasn't has nice inside and not as well made.

Maybe some other cypress models do or Redwood which is the step up from ours.

Good luck.

Mike
2016 Cypress 38BHR
2011 2500HD 4x4 Chevrolet Duramax

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Rockwood Signature with two slides, one in the living room/kitchen area on the drivers side and a second slide for the bunk room on the other side. It has a half bath across the rear. The sticker price was $37,000 on it in 2011 when we purchased it for less than that. We have taken several two and three month trips in it with our two grandsons, ages 11 and 12 currently. Worked fine for the four of us and occasionally our daughter, the boys mother, would go with us or meet us somewhere.

I would suspect that the OP is going to be looking at a price about triple
or $75,000 give or take and working with a custom builder to get all the features mentioned. By the time all the features are added, probably looking at something close to 40 ft in length, which would need a bigger truck than what we are using, a Chevy 3500 DRW diesel crew cab, LWB 4 x 4. Think I saw something about Nexus RV was going to start, or has started to build some 5th wheels. Never had one of their rigs but understand they will work with a buyer to custom build much of the unit, as long as the buyer has the money and willingness to pay for the custom work.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

HighSpeedAlumin
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add, we wanted the living room windows on the Right hand side of the RV so we could watch the kids from inside if we needed a break from them. Most RV manufacturers don't do this and I don't know why. But the Windows on the right side was mandatory for us to watch the kids. It's also nice to talk to friends or guests when cooking from inside by not isolating the person inside by a wall.
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn W/ Air Suspension.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS

HighSpeedAlumin
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, we home school in a Grand Design 323BHS with 3 kids for 4-6 months at a time + a 65lb dog. (We enjoy taking breaks for the kids to come back and visit their friends.). I don't know if your just starting out, but we love the outdoor kitchen. It is used a lot more than I thought we would use it, and people are always commenting on "how they wish they had one but you need a bunkhouse!" Tons of storage, so everything is in its place. just don't overload it and exceed the weight ratings. We use storage in the rear kitchen for extra TP and paper towels and such so were never needing them. The rear bunkhouse has a lot of drawers for the kids clothes which was hard to find (I don't know where kids put their clothes on a lot of other bunkhouse models)? We took out the couch in the BH and use that area for extra storage/clothes/shoes. Has a large pantry which was mandatory for us, so we don't go broke feeding a family of 5 3 meals a day. Definitely need a 1 ton truck. Good luck!
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn W/ Air Suspension.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
When I was researching for my family we liked the "Open Roads" models, that had most of what you are looking for. Unfortunately I didn't see any models that were close to the price range that you are looking at, but at the time (4 years ago) the models with the bunk rooms and the bath and a half were fairly recent options so there wasn't much on the used market yet. Hopefully there are a few now. For other reasons we ended up with a MH so I can't help much more. I researched by going to the large dealership sites and in the search block typing in bunkhouse and looking at the longest ones as those were more likely to have the extra bath. Those will primarily be new but you might be able to search for older years with the same model numbers.
Good luck. Roadschooling has been fun and the kids love it.

Family__Guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply Dave and Amy.

Unfortunately, the exterior kitchen is a deal killer for us. We simply would not use it and want as much space as possible in the bunkhouse - mostly for roadschooling.

mach8274
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Columbus 385BH and love it. It does have an outdoor kitchen which you said you don't want. It has everything else on your list. Good luck!
Dave and Amy
Anthony-2005
Norah-2008
Sasha the weiner dog
Sadie the wonder dog
Spencer the shepherd dog
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH Fiver "No Worries II"
2016 F350 Super Duty 6.7L PSD, CC, DRW, Lariat "Mistress II"
Ford 26.5k fifth wheel hitch