cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Online

Rick_MC
Explorer
Explorer
We have been searching for a new 5th wheel. We really liked the Montana 3730 FL but it is out of our price range. We have decided on the Cougar 367 FLS. Since we are from Long Island, we are limited with dealerships. We have been speaking to a few places in Michigan online and have negotiated a decent deal that includes a trade for my current 2011 5th wheel. My problem, the new purchase all depends on getting the trade in value that was discussed over the phone. Yet it is only a verbal trade price conditional on an inspection at the time of purchase. I don't want to drive 750 miles only to have them lower the trade price after an inspection. I know that I could walk away from the deal, but I would potentially lose the downpayment and the time and money to drive there and back. Anyone have experience with long distance purchases?
2008 F350 Lariat DRW 6.4 PSD Super Duty 4.10 Rear
2018 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
Q5 Curt 20K Slider
2008 F250 Lariat Super Duty Firestone Air Ride Bags {sold}
23 REPLIES 23

Rick_MC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Cummins12V98. I found a cougar 267fls a few hours from here, took a drive to see it, and it definitely doesn't compare to my Komfort. I was hoping to see the unit in person before ordering and I'm glad we did. So for now still looking around. Thanks for all the advice!
2008 F350 Lariat DRW 6.4 PSD Super Duty 4.10 Rear
2018 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
Q5 Curt 20K Slider
2008 F250 Lariat Super Duty Firestone Air Ride Bags {sold}

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
These days, on-line sales are a viable alternative to restrictive choices from local dealerships. I bought two trucks that way, one, 800 miles away and was not disappointed. Dealer reputation is on the line so I don't believe any established dealer is going to jeopardize that. Exchange as many pictures of your RV as you can, including tires, roof, and any flaws, chips, dents and excessive rust so your value won't be altered when you arrive at the dealership for something you hadn't mentioned Lots of luck.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think you'll have a problem. It's a simple numbers game. As long as your unit isn't trashed and in reasonable condition they will take it for the amount offered. I imagine they give you a low ball figure but if overall the numbers work make the deal.
When I traded in my unit the dealer never did inspect my unit closely.
My unit was in great shape with a few nice mods but the dealer could have cared less. Gave me a trade in price which I thought was fair and kept the deal moving without looking at my unit at all.
Base on my deal I don't think the condition of your unit is critical to the deal. They just want to sell the new one! Profit from the new sale trumps all other factors.
Ultimately used inventory goes on another ledger. Within the used inventory there are winners and losers for the dealership. As long as new units keep rolling out the door everyone is satisfied.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought RVs from both General RV and Lakeshore. On three different transactions I was quoted a trade in price sight unseen and neither dealer ever tried to adjust the price. Both are large, high volume dealers (General is larger and markets under one name, the owner's of Lakeshore own several other dealerships in Michigan operating under different names) and both have been in business for many years.

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
We traded in a 2011 Cardinal fifth wheel for an ordered 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES. Vermont Country Campers gave us a trade in price after I filled out an online form about the condition of the trade. The whole transaction was done via email and US Mail.

They kept their word on trade in price and kept their word on sales price. At delivery, no surprises, just an honest transaction by a family owned rv dealership in northern Vermont.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should be fine especially if the dealer knows you're in between two deals, they will want to get your business over the next guy.

I agree about the term, "they won't get hurt on the deal" for that's how it works.

If you don't like the trade it may be in your best interests to try and sell the unit yourself but they (the dealer) need to off load inventory and always have buyers looking for deals on used units so it's what they do.

Never came out ahead on a RV deal until we sold a 2001 Arctic Fox 1150 after we had it for 4 years, made $1400 on that deal and could not believe it.

YRMV, Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

winger999
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a pop up from Lakeshore many years ago, and they were pretty straight shooters then. If you are driving to Muskegon, you should take a drive down Division Avenue in Grand Rapids. If you are heading north on US131 toward Grand Rapids, get off at 76th Street, head east. You will hit Division almost immediately. Head north, you will see Camping World first, then RV World, Veurink's RV Center, Terryton Travel Center. We bought a new camper at Veurinks's, by far the smaller of each of these. They are a family owned place, we were very happy with our trade in and new camper.

I would get off of Division after Terryton and back on 131, Division gets a bit rough the futher you head toward downtown GR.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would think that they have a pretty decent cushion in that trade price, or they would not do it. That being said, we know they don't give much on trade, and they have extra cushion since they haven't seen it.

How much money are you leaving on the table by trading instead of selling?? $10k $15 ??

I'd at least try to sell it myself for a month or so to see what kind of interest you get. You will know in the first week if you will have much interest. If it doesn't sell, then you can always trade it. Might be well worth the hassle. Price it $5-10K over the trade in price and see what happens.

When we bought our TT dealer offered us $2000 for our Popup, I put and add on craigslist about 10pm on a Tuesday. My email and phone started blowing up. First person that called met me at the house after I got off work, and paid me $5000 (asking Price) in cash. I had 3 more people on the way to look at it, that I called and told them it was sold.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I did it on my current 5er. Negotiated everything over the phone. No deposit either. Only drove 250 miles.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to actually talk to someone, preferably a manager or even the owner, rather than just communicate via email. You will get a better "feel" for the people you are dealing with.

If comfortable, I would offer a substantial REFUNDABLE down payment. Get your financing, insurance, and DMV necessities all arranged. Then make your trip. IF either party is not satisfied, then they can cancel and you get you deposit back.

You are making a substantial effort to make that drive so the dealer should understand you are a serious buyer. If they balk at the refundable deposit, wire it to them or mail it to arrive the day you arrive there, then your commitment making the drive along with money in their hand should be sufficient. In that manner, they are not out anything. The only danger is if someone buys that trailer before they get the money.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We made a deal on our current tt while trading our old one. Price was negotiated sight unseen. They just asked the general questions about options and condition. They didn’t even look at it when I dropped it off and picked the new one up.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If this was the camper I really wanted, I'd do like F-TROUP (above) suggested, make it a week trip and have fun doing it.

True story:

We still had our pop-up and were camping at the KOA near Richmond, Indiana. Back then, the Camping World was still Tom Raper's RV. On a whim, we decided to pay a Friday visit at Tom Raper's as we heard on a television advertisment they provided free hot dogs and sodas. We "REALLY" thought, hey ... let's go at lunch time! So we did!

Well.... the next day we broke camp at the KOA and went back to Tom Raper. We then returned back to the KOA a few hours later and that night we slept in our brand new Dutchmen Sport travel trailer. (Absolutely didn't see that coming!)

So you know, you're in a good position to make a very enjoyable trip and have quite an exciting time doing it too!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have traded in two and on both the dealer quoted the trade sight unseen. Both honored that quote when delivered. They know what they're doing and any way you look at it are giving you nothing more than wholesale so you're taking the typical soaking, but it can be convenient and sometimes makes the most sense. A lot of trades head straight to the auction, especially in MI where they seem to have a lot of dealer auctions with RV's for some reason.

I've negotiated a couple times at a distance with Lakeshore, I believe her name was Cheryl. From what I experienced they will give you straight up numbers new and trade. Low and agreeable/reasonable price on new and wholesale trade, but will flat out tell you they are not really interested in trades.

You may want to check into THESE GUYS. They're really good as far as dealers go, and may have something that interests you or can get you what you want at the right price. They certainly won't screw you on a trade. And it may save you a little traveling as far.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
My bil has been satisfied with his purchase from lakeshore rv