cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Calico ghost town ((updated with pics))

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else heading up to calico ghost town for valentine's day / presidents weekend? We just booked 3 nights but we are not taking the toys. It's our first time going there and we are excited.

LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
13 REPLIES 13

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz great photo's looks like good times.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Fun place the kids loved it.

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the information.

I visited Calico once as a kid but that was more than 50 years ago. Should be fun to see how it compares to what I remember. (hopefully my memory will be working the day we visit!!!!)

Hap

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
There's really two camping areas one more inside by the town the other is more for OHV access.

We are pleased to announce the opening of the Calico OHV Trail that runs from our campground to the BLM OHV riding area. BLM & Calico Ghost Town have joined hands in creating an easement for our OHV riders. Come & enjoy our Desert Trails and our Old West Ghost Town.

Note:Heads up! ODESSA Canyon is like a shooting range.

http://www.sbcountyparks.com/reservations/flash/flashreservations.asp?park_idno=2

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/Parks/CalicoGhostTown.aspx

Yup. one area is designated for OHV and the other isnt. From what i understand is there is a trail from the campground that you ride a short distance to the OHV areas. So the CG's are in the same area but you have to ride out to the BLM OHV trails.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
There's really two camping areas one more inside by the town the other is more for OHV access.

We are pleased to announce the opening of the Calico OHV Trail that runs from our campground to the BLM OHV riding area. BLM & Calico Ghost Town have joined hands in creating an easement for our OHV riders. Come & enjoy our Desert Trails and our Old West Ghost Town.

Note:Heads up! ODESSA Canyon is like a shooting range.

http://www.sbcountyparks.com/reservations/flash/flashreservations.asp?park_idno=2

AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Hap Hazard wrote:
We're thinking of stopping by Calico on our way back from the Las Vegas NASCAR race. Does anyone have any photos of the campgrounds or information on their facility. Is the campground within walking distance of the town? I'd like full hook-ups as I won't have any toys with us.

Hap

Cool we are at site c09. When i called the rep said they were out of full hook up sites, so i got partial which is electricity. Its our first time there so i am assuming the sites are fairly close, if not we have bikes ๐Ÿ™‚ to cruise around. Check out calicotown.com they will be having civil war re enactments sat/sun and monday.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
One of the areas is camping only (no off road vehicles) full hookups and is walking distance. Can't remember the name of it.

1-800-to-calico

2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking of stopping by Calico on our way back from the Las Vegas NASCAR race. Does anyone have any photos of the campgrounds or information on their facility. Is the campground within walking distance of the town? I'd like full hook-ups as I won't have any toys with us.

Hap

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
Be sure to visit the wood shop (on left as you go in) the lady in there is a hoot. She (if she is still there) will show you some "puzzles" that are amazing... and maybe give you some too.

Thanks dudes, I'll definitely check that out, the kids will have a blast.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to visit the wood shop (on left as you go in) the lady in there is a hoot. She (if she is still there) will show you some "puzzles" that are amazing... and maybe give you some too.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Y-Guy
Archive has a lot of posts from over a year ago on Calico ghost town

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Cool place but it's more like an amusement park than a ghost town or museum. Not surprising since it was built up by the Knott's Berry Farm guy. The best stuff is in hills behind the town, as said above, things like the bottle house and the mine. No matter what you'll have fun there.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Been there several times over the years. The bottle house is neat. Mining and drinking. What a life. Interesting history.