cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone in MA tell me what registration fees are for 5er?

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to sell my 5er but have never registered it in MA. I moved to MA from CA and never used the trailer or registered it. Just trying to decide if I should register it before I sell it or sell it without the registration and let the new owner register it. Kind of depends on the cost of registration.

I have looked at websites and I am confused if the fees will be $20/1000# as a trailer or a flat $50 as a camper.

Can anyone that has their trailer registered in MA tell me?
2004.5 Siverado 3500 DRW Duramax LLY
2001 Cougar 276 EFS (Sold, trying to figure out what to replace it with)
13 REPLIES 13

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Walter. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am not sure if I will register it or not. I have it stored right now at my uncle's house but want to move it to my house to sell. It is only a few miles. I just have to decide if I want to register it to move it or just move it at night and hope I don't get caught.

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and if you have never registered in MA you would also pay a $50 title fee. Not sure why you would want to register it if you are selling it. Tell purchaser they need a plate...

If you decide to register, it will take approx 6-8 weeks to get your MA title.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
$50.00 per year - When you register - VERY IMPORTANT - Tell them you want Camper Plates (not trailer plates) - Tell your insurance company you want AHN Camper Plates.

Otherwise a trailer plate typically used for utility/construction trailers will be $$$ per 1000 lbs. (I think the current rate is $20 per 1000 lbs.

We have ALWAYS registered our RVs as Camper plates without any problems and currently have a 5er registered with them.

Walter
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
No one in MA with a 5er?

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Since it's in your name and you didn't "use" the fiver in Massachusetts, you had no obligation to retitle it in that State, so no problem there. Link to rules.

I see no reason why a buyer would hesitate- Title transfer is just paperwork, isn't it? I don't see anything about a required inspection or anything at this MA. page...

You can also offer to go with them to the DMV to do the transfer- a practice I myself prefer anyway when selling a vehicle/trailer. I like to be ASSURED that such liabilities have been legally transferred out of my name before I see the last of them!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
The CA title is in my name. I thought about just signing it over to any potential buyers. Would be cheaper and easier for me. My concern is the CA plates registration expired in 2010. So I think any buyer would have to leave to trailer at my house until they could get it registered and then come get it. Do you think that would discourage people from buying the trail?

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
If the California Title is in your name, I see no reason to retitle/register in Massachusetts just so you can sell it.

Just sign the Title over to the buyer and let them go register etc.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
If no one from MA replies. Try calling a local RV dealer.
Ask to speak to some one in the finance office.
Then ask that person what "FEES" the state requires.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
I found that PDF and it says trailers are $20/1000# and Auto Homes (I think that means motor homes) are a flat $50. But I don't know if I am interpreting that correctly. Also I don't know if a 5er is considered an auto home or a trailer. Hopefully someone with a 5er or TT with a MA registration can tell me. I hate trying to call government offices. Such a tremendous waste of time.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Try this PDF from Mass RMV

http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/fees/20141.pdf
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a one time permanant tag here in VA with yearly safety inspections required for trailers that are equiped with electric brakes. Each state does it differently I reckon. Probably best to talk to them directly...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Roy. I am not sure but I think that by Recreation Vehicle they are referring to off-road vehicles like dirt bikes or ATVs but I am not sure. I will try to call them on Monday if no one else can answer.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found this ONLINE - might be of some help...
REGISTRATION OF RV IN MASS
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS