cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't believe folks connecting up sewer without gloves

Monty-Rob
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I have noticed quite a few folks connecting and disconnecting their sewer hoses without gloves.
I'm not a germaphob but come on....this is just nasty especially when they wipe their nose or mouth while doing this. Guess I'm not shaking hands with people anymore!
Just saying.....
2014 Lifestyle 37CKLS (Sold January 2018)
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat (Sold January 2018)
2012 Started fulltiming on February 1st (stopped fulltiming December 21, 2017)
70 REPLIES 70

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same question about pumping diesel.

I hardly ever see anyone wearing disposables, but I do, and there's always a lot of gunk on my gloves when I toss them. I do not want that gunk on my door handles, steering wheel, or credit cards.

I can wash, of course, but gloves are 100%, washing is not.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
we see it all the time too.man alive, I don't even like doing it when the pipes are new.just do the hand wash thing, THEN we scrape the nails, and wala the dirtiest is clean too, now its all happy-camping

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
It would be interesting to know where the, gloves vs no gloves grew up and their ages. I would guess the, yes gloves group are mainly city born and raised, whereas the no gloves group probably born and raised in the rural areas of the country. I grew up on a cow/calf ranch in southern Oklahoma, where we raised most of our feed and hay. At the end of a work day on the ranch, if I wasn't half covered with some sort of animal feces, I probably hadn't done much that day. I have been in many milking stalls and I don't remember ever seeing a pair of gloves. We always drank raw milk at home with no problems but mom did strain through a cheese cloth. LOL

Some jobs just are dirty, there is no way to stay clean all the time. The 15 years I put in as a cardiac medic in the back of ambulances was one and the 5 years I was a deputy coroner in Colorado. Sure OSHA requires the wearing of gloves, but I don't remember ever having a pair last through a bad car accident. By the time the passengers were extricated and IV lines started on the living, the gloves were in shreds.

Recently my primary care physician and I were talking and she told me she believed if all her parents of young children would get rid of all the Clorox wipes and other such products, their kids wouldn't get half as sick. She would also like to see their use banned in schools, soap and water cleaning only.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a possible benefit to using rubber gloves, IMHO yes. I do wear them, removing them by turning inside out. Is there a better chance of catching something not wearing them, absolutely. If you've ever been infected from the smallest of cuts you'll understand why some of us wear gloves. Had one while camping that got into the lymph nodes in my arm. Wasn't fun. Was on different antibiotics for weeks before it went away.

A little preventive measure never hurts. Would you allow a surgeon to cut you without washing their hands and not wearing rubber gloves?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mudmaker wrote:
I didn't wear gloves when I put the stuff in the tank either. Why would it be necessary when I take it out?

There you go. Best and most true answer yet. Worse thing you can get on your hands while dumping, is the blue stuff
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
If you dump the grey after the black there is no real stuff to worry about.
Quick rinse and go.

Yeah. I'm thinkin it is as clean as it can get after 30 gal of fresh water runs thru it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
At least we know where our sewer hose has been...

Hope you're all washing your hands after posting your comments here
Keyboards 'dirtier than a toilet' - BBC news article

Oh, don't let your kids play in the playgrounds either
Ewww - just how clean is your local playground?

And forget about grocery shopping too
E.coli found on 50 per cent of shopping carts - NBC
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Germs are everywhere and the human body, like all other mammals does a pretty good job of protecting us.

I'd be more worried about people who don't wash their hands and then shake mine. I've seen people come out of a bathroom stall in a restaurant bathroom without washing their hands and then head towards the buffet. How many people walk into a restaurant and the first thing they do is wash their hands? Not very many and I don't want to know what they were pickin' or doodlin' with on their way to the restaurant either.

I won't go into all the other intimate things animals (including us humans) do but they seem to be more of an issue than pulling the trigger on my black tank.

I vote no to gloves.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
As of this post is the lead is: No gloves.

Of those that stated a preference:

21 respondents do not use gloves

19 respondents use gloves

4 respondents sometimes use gloves.

Close race, and very entertaining, so keep them coming.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use fingerless gloves in case I have to pick my nose or sumpin.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Should we wear gloves when changing baby diapers?

Rmcgrath53
Explorer
Explorer
Just get you a shot for Hepp CCCCC and uall be good to go
2008 keystone Everest 345s re
2002 F350 4x4 7.3 diesel crew cab dually. 135,000 miles extra leafs.
Banks stinger/ with an edge attitude set at tow
prodigy 3p curt 20k hitch
trail air suspension trail air pinbox
2 e2000 honda w parralel kit
560 watts solar

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I buy gloves designed for changing oil. They are plastic, and only good for one wearing. When I remove them I just reverse them over themselves thus no surface to touch that yucky to touch. Just what I do and I'm comfortable with it.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch