cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canopy for my Fith wheel questions

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel is 41' long so I'm looking at on of those metal RV carport type garages. I was thinking 18x41 and probably only one side enclosed. I want to be able to open all the slides and this should do it. I'm looking for referrals and any feedback on this type of shelter and size. Looks like out of the ones I've talked to about $4500.00 installed and that's the certified one. Thanks
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
6 REPLIES 6

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
The inside measurements of my rv garage are 18x40. Our 36 foot fifth wheel fits perfectly with plenty of room to walk around the front of it. Also, there is room enough to open all 3 slides as long as I am centered. I did spray paint a stripe on the concrete floor that I follow that let's me park it correctly every time. I do wish it was wider and longer but it's all I could manage. Mine is enclosed on all sides with a 13 foot roll up door which I also wish was a little higher. I agree you will need more length to protect the front and rear if the front and rear are open.

We are getting ready to start our 5th season with ours and generally use it around a total of 3 months. It still looks new and outside maintenance is greatly reduced if you can swing the covered parking.

Another consideration is if you can get some hook ups to it. I have a 50 amp service, water and a 4 inch sewer dump in mine which comes in mighty handy.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
At least 4 ft. overhang on each end, more if you can swing it.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
I think 41' is too short. You will not have enough protection for the front cap. Also, when planning, try to imagine whether or not you may change RV's in the future. How big, tall and wide you build your cover will determine the size of what you are able to protect from now on. That is, of course, unless you add on to it. When we built our RV garage, we had no intention of trading so soon but the bug hit and we did. Luckily, we took trading in the future into consideration and built the garage 20x45' with a 15' roll up door. Mind you, that is slab measurement. We should have made sure that was inside demisions as the inside is roughly 18'8"x43'8". We had to be careful when deciding on new fiver because most of the ones that had everything we wanted were rather long. We ended up with a 39'10" fiver. It fits perfectly backed up to wall with room to walk around front. If garage was a little longer, it would be ideal but we are just happy it fits.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will look into the 44' long. Appreciate all the info.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A width of 18 ft will work , but you need to go more than 41 ft length otherwise you will have no real protection front and back. My garage is 18 x 44 and my unit is only 34 ft in length and my roll up door is 13-1/2 ft tall. I know you are talking about an open RVport, but if you ever want to close off the other side and the back, then you really will want the additional length.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
In our seasonal owner campground, many people have the carports, but we are limited to 11'6" tall. We deal with a company in a small town north of us and they coordinate with the installers - it's American Steel Carports.

We went with the 12 gauge framing as it's got a warranty. Looks like they may service your area. I had a 10 by 12 shed built on our property to house our UTV and it ran us $2500 with an 8 foot roll up door. I'd assume it depends on the maximum height you can put in.

I'm sure there are other places who do carports, but here's their sheet for your area.

American Steel Carports