cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cap fell in toilet

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
The cap to the tank cleaner fell into the black tank of our jayco eagle 345bhts. It's a normal size cap the size of a soda bottle cap. Should it just flush out next time I dump. Or am I in deep Doo Doo
17 REPLIES 17

BillB3857
Explorer
Explorer
The cap you described is much smaller than the cutout plug the trailer manufacturers typically let drop into the tank when making the connection to the potty pipe. Don't worry about it.
2004 Silverado LB7 D/A CC LB DRW 4x4, Firestone RideRites, Air Lift Compressor, Line-X Bed Liner, Retrax Bed Cover, Backup Cam, Pullrite Super 5th Hitch, Rear View Cam
AstroStart 2205A Remote Start
2014 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Trail-Air Pin Box

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dropped a tube of sun tan lotion in a RV toilet a few years ago in Arizona. Watched the sight glass elbows when dumping and planned on closing the valve in time to keep it out of the sewer at the park. Watched if fly by and closed the valve. Nope, it was gone on its way to the sewer treatment plant and NO LONGER in our black tank.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
It will probably flush out the next time you dump the tank. If it doesn't, don't worry about it. It's small enough and won't cause any problems.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing on a previous fifth wheel. I spent some time filling the tank with water, then emptied it with the santinflush and hoped for the best. The silver lining, I did a great job of cleaning the black tank from a stupid mistake....??
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
On off shoot response perhaps, but what about contacting a septic service company to see if they can "pump" out your tank or at the very least, see what they say to do. Then you can say OS again!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Drain the hose into a short section of rain gutter that goes into the sewer.
If you're quick, you can grab the cap before it goes into the sewer.
Rinse snd reinstall. That's recycling at its finest. :B

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody asked yet but do you have a 3 inch sewer hose or a macerator? Might be a problem if you use a macerator pump.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I would Fill the black tank full with water asap and dump.
The cap will come right out.

(usually the sink in the bathroom dumps into the black tank. I often use the sink to fill the black tank with water as an additional flush to clean after dumping.)

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago, prior camper, a prescription pill bottle fell from the medicine cabinet, right now the toilet. Well, I lost the medicine and wondered about the bottle. Never did notice any difference in dumping my black tank. We had 3 weekends in a row with full hookups after that.

Then the 3rd week-end I added some water to the tank before coming home because I wanted to give it real good clean, lots of giggling and sloshing of the water. At home, I caught the black tank contents in a bucket and dumped it down my clean-out (city sewer hook-up).

To my surprise, the pill bottle went Ker-Plunk in the bucket (yes, on the 4th dump since it happened). I fished the bottle out of the bucket and of course, threw it away, and then dumped the bucket down the clean out.

The best I could figure, the bottle had air in it and it must have sealed pretty good. Of course a bottle with air will float in liquid. So I suppose, it continued floating on the top of everything and maybe somehow stuck to the bottom of the tank and then didn't have water to help pass it through. By adding only a couple gallons of water to slosh around, the sloshing must have sloshed the bottle into the neck of the drain pipe, so when I opened the slide, it fell out. Evidently, the drain pipe held more than just the 2 gallons of liquid.

But it did come out.

A bottle cap will pass through with no problem. If you really want to catch it, then drain your contents into a bucket and watch for it to come out. Thend dump the bucket, one bucket at a time.

Now, about a year ago, I was dumping my blue tote down my septic tank. And the black 4 inch cap fell into the septic tank in my back yard. I thought ... oh no! I have more caps, that's not the problem. All I could think of was that cap passing through my finger system and clogging up.

I watched in desperation as the thing floated on top of the sludge in the septic tank. I was going to get a shovel, or the dog pooper-scooper and try to retrieve it when it tipped, and down it went! That hard plastic did not float, thank goodness! Its now sitting in the bottom of my septic tank. I suppose the next time I have to have the tank pumped out, I'll have to let the guy know there is a cap down there so it won't clog up his honey-dew wagon system.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Probably be fine. The only bad thing that could happen is if it got in the way of the valve.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Not the first, won't be the last.

I was trying to break up a pyramid, using a section of a curtain rod. 45degree elbow going into tank. You guessed it... slipped out my hand, down into the tank. Of course, it never came out, never blocked the tank. That was about 2 years ago.

You will be fine. No need to go tank diving.

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Don't be that horrible person. Go out buy a kiddie pool drain the tank into it and do not dispose of the contents until you find that cap.

No seriously, it's a non-issue. The hoses are several times larger than the cap. Only way I see an issue is if you are running a mascerator pump. The inlet may be small enough to jam up.

Don't purposely put plastic down the toilet but a stray cap every few years isn't going to cause any issues with your system or the campgrounds.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
You can put your snorkel and fins away, you'll get a pass on this one.