cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carlisle RH Trail vs Maxxis M8008 Tires GVWR 10k

RedSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
We want to replace the OEM tires (225/75/15 "D" load range) on our 2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH fifth wheel. It's sticker empty weight is 7199, GVWR is 10k. We've never weighed it all stocked up, but I'd guess we're around 8500 lbs.

We only haul shorter distances - 100 miles one way is typically the farthest we go however, we do have a 200 mile trip planned in a few weeks. For that, we don't plan to haul loaded with water. We live in Wisconsin, travel in Wisconsin, so we don't need to consider hauling through Death Valley for heat issues. We put on less than 1,000 miles/year. She's stored outside in the summer (May - Oct), inside in the winter.

I read here that Carlisle makes a crappy tire, but it appears some are USA made, some are not. Their Trail RH tire was "redesigned" in 2011 so perhaps that tire is okay now. The local tire shop classifies both it and the Maxxis as their "BEST" quality tires.

Questions
1) Is load range D sufficient for our use?
2) Is it really worth another $100 in cost to get the Maxxis M8008 over the Carlisle RH? If so WHY?

Thanks in advance...
52 REPLIES 52

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was at my local Discount Tire toady for a rotation and balance on my TV. I asked the salesman whom I've known for many years if they could still get Maxxis tires for my fiver. He said special order but they are now recommending the new Carlisle tire. They have had very few tires come back since the new redesign. FYI
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
samandtheduck wrote:
2009 was 20 years ago? Now I know I'm getting old!
Brian

I was referring to the old Carlisle Radial Trial. The only visible difference is the "RH" on the side of the tire. Also, since Carlisle owns their own tire molds-even the tread pattern is the same as previous. However, the internal construction is what has changed.

I was also referencing those who have used the old tire and continually bash the company.

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:

I do one other thing as I believe it helps. when I start driving in the morning I go at least 5 miles under 50 and then hit 55 for a few more, then 60 for a few more and then 63 - 64 for the rest of the day. (I do hit 70 on occasion when passing a semi or something) I think taking a cold ST from sitting to full operating temp in just a mile or so adds to the failures. Kind of a thermal shock failure.

Lots of good information for Carlisle users.

Carlisle dose not recommend towing above 60 MPH. (Last page under “Best Practices”.

Click Here!

FastEagle

RedSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
BeerCan wrote:

How long have they been out? (serious question, not argument)

I believe since 2011 - here's their press release: http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/carlisle-releases-new-performance-trailer-tire-1529874.htm

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I went to check my tire pressure yesterday and found major side-wall cracking in all 4 tires. I called a friend that owns a tire shop and he recomemded th Carlisle RH. The rig got 4 new shoes today -- the RH tires $560 mounted and balanced. We'll see how it goes as I'm doing a trip tomorrow, Friday, and it's supposted to be the hottest day of the year so far.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

samandtheduck
Explorer
Explorer
2009 was 20 years ago? Now I know I'm getting old!
Brian

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
samandtheduck wrote:
The original poster asked if he had the right load range and whether he should put Carlisle tires on his trailer. Why are you disappointed at the continuing rhetoric about Carlisle tires? I bought them in 2009 and they were great tires for three years until 2 of them blew. That is my experience I shared with the original poster and I won't buy them again. You are free to try the new redesigned tire and I hope it works out for you. I think we will find out when the new tires are 3-4 years old whether they got it right.
Brian

Because people who used them 20 years ago don't have a clue there is a new product out.

How long have they been out? (serious question, not argument)

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
samandtheduck wrote:
I think we will find out when the new tires are 3-4 years old whether they got it right.
Brian

If your second one blew at the same time or shortly after the first I would be inclined to think that the weight change it saw when the first one blew damaged it and led to it's demise (assuming it was on the same side). The second one going out seems to be pretty typical when they arent replaced along with the first.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
samandtheduck wrote:
The original poster asked if he had the right load range and whether he should put Carlisle tires on his trailer. Why are you disappointed at the continuing rhetoric about Carlisle tires? I bought them in 2009 and they were great tires for three years until 2 of them blew. That is my experience I shared with the original poster and I won't buy them again. You are free to try the new redesigned tire and I hope it works out for you. I think we will find out when the new tires are 3-4 years old whether they got it right.
Brian

Because people who used them 20 years ago don't have a clue there is a new product out.

samandtheduck
Explorer
Explorer
Brian

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
So my Carlisle Radial RH's that I bought a year and a half ago have been to a few places.

from Orlando FL to LA Calif, 2502 miles and sat then for 4 months

from LA Calif to Orlando FL, 2502 miles and sat for 1 month

from Orlando FL to Lewistown PA, 1021 miles and sat for 4 months

from Lewistown PA. to Columbus OH (and back), 706 miles and then sat for 4 more months

from Lewistown PA. to Orlando FL, 1021 miles and sat for 6 months

from Orlando FL to Chicago IL, 1062 miles and sitting.

around 8800 miles in total.

I added the sit time between runs as it's more of a factor than some would think. The tires have to heat up and be driving to get the UV inhibitors (among other stuff) to migrate to the sidewall surface of the tire. When they sit around the stuff dissipates and the tires begin to rot from the sunlight.

I always cover them if I am going to be somewhere longer than a couple days. To date they have no indications of cracking on the sidewall or tread separation or blemishes or even loss of air. All 4 tires have had 80 psi in them each time I have checked them (a year and a half!), kind of dumbfounding a bit to me as I have never seen tires do that before.

I do one other thing as I believe it helps. when I start driving in the morning I go at least 5 miles under 50 and then hit 55 for a few more, then 60 for a few more and then 63 - 64 for the rest of the day. (I do hit 70 on occasion when passing a semi or something) I think taking a cold ST from sitting to full operating temp in just a mile or so adds to the failures. Kind of a thermal shock failure.

The new product seems to be working out. I am really disappointed at the continuing rhetoric on this forum. Mention Carlisle and the guys who used them 20 years ago chime in and call them Chinese Junk. They make ZERO EFFORT to educate themselves of new products and the reliability of those products.

BTW REDF-350 I am still waiting for the answer to my question!

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
So my Carlisle Radial RH's that I bought a year and a half ago have been to a few places.

from Orlando FL to LA Calif, 2502 miles and sat then for 4 months

from LA Calif to Orlando FL, 2502 miles and sat for 1 month

from Orlando FL to Lewistown PA, 1021 miles and sat for 4 months

from Lewistown PA. to Columbus OH (and back), 706 miles and then sat for 4 more months

from Lewistown PA. to Orlando FL, 1021 miles and sat for 6 months

from Orlando FL to Chicago IL, 1062 miles and sitting.

around 8800 miles in total.

I added the sit time between runs as it's more of a factor than some would think. The tires have to heat up and be driving to get the UV inhibitors (among other stuff) to migrate to the sidewall surface of the tire. When they sit around the stuff dissipates and the tires begin to rot from the sunlight.

I always cover them if I am going to be somewhere longer than a couple days. To date they have no indications of cracking on the sidewall or tread separation or blemishes or even loss of air. All 4 tires have had 80 psi in them each time I have checked them (a year and a half!), kind of dumbfounding a bit to me as I have never seen tires do that before.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
RedF-350 wrote:
Never, never, never use Carlisle!!! I have been burned to many times. And for the love of Pete, never believe what a tire salesman is trying to sell you. Whether it's a lawn mower, trailer, or ATV, you WILL experience failure.

I also hate to hear about people supporting GY after what they've done.

I will only use the Japanese brands: Toyo, Nitto, and Maxxis. The American and Chinese brands seem to fail, not balance, or disintegrate. This comes from many years and MANY sets of new tires.

In 15" ST tires you have very little choice. Please tell us the last time you had a set of Carlisle Tires. I had these installed on my trailer in Florida, and they went up to Maine-then back to Utah with ZERO issues./
http://www.tirereview.com/article/88909/carlisle_has_new_trailer_radial.aspx

I am still waiting for a reply to my question.

Still waitng...

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
I too replaced my Mastertrak tires which came stock on my unit with the Carlisles Radial Tread RH. So far I'm more than pleased with around 1000 miles on them. My OEM tires were LRD and I stepped up to the E's on the Carlisles. Our rigs dry weight is #7950 and we weighed it loaded with our stuff and 1/2 tank of fresh water and it came In at #9100 and change. So with the LRE's being well below there max I sure hope they hold up well. We shall see I suppose.
Happy trails.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!