cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carlisle Tires

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Well, had a total blow out on two year old tires with less than 1,200 miles. Went to Discount and now they told me they no longer carry Carlisle and are recommending the Goodyear Endurance. Had to buy one Endurance because that is all they had and gingerly drove home with the 3 other "may pops". Will be looking at the Goodyear to see how they hold up. Want to have the whole set to match. Was 105 degrees on the side of the highway while changing the blown out tire.
NOT too happy.

Curly.....
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
38 REPLIES 38

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new'ish Goodyear Endurance ST appears to be the best one on the market right now. Friend needs tires for his GD Reflection and that is what I recommended when he called.

Others will have to get their act together or GY will own the replacement tire market. Trailer manufactures will still let their bean counters provide you with the low bid maypops.

Jayco is the only company that I know of that committed to Endurance tires OEM.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had Carlisle's on my Outback and had trouble with them. First a broken belt on one , then another. I changed to Freestars and had very good luck (E rated). Next I used Maxxis E rated and had very good luck with them.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^Don't get too exited yet, my Carlisle's went south at just a little under 8,000 miles, and less than 2 years old.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
5 of the new Carlisle HD's on the 5th. About 7,000 miles no issues. 5 of the new Carlisle HD's on the boat trailer. About 2,000 miles no issues. 3 of the new Carlisle HD's on the utility trailer. About 2,000 miles no issues.
GoDevil trailer needs 3 pretty soon.

Discount Tire probably got tired of having to price match WalMart.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
It is the Carlisle HD tires that I have had problems with. The whole center of the tire was missing by the time I could pull over. No shredding or any of the cords were showing, just a couple of inches of sidewall over the rim.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Or was it the infamous Carlisle Radial Trail that gave folks problems from day one.
I have those.

Couple years ago I picked up a nail (that's what the autopsy showed), tire slowly deflated and shredded. Carlisle reimbursed me for the 5th tire. Not too shabby.. they didn't have to do that.

Been fine ever since. Got TPMS after that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
It would help if folks tell us which Carlisle tire line had the problems.

Was it the new Carlisle HD just launched in September 28, 2016

Or was it he Carlisle RH launched in early 2013.

Or was it the infamous Carlisle Radial Trail that gave folks problems from day one.

I've ran dozens of tires on my service trailers and found using a tire with the same PSI and tread design on the same axle works best....especially hard braking events on wet or dry pavement.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mick2268
Explorer
Explorer
I have fished bass tourney's nation wide going on 30 years now. I subscribe to the practice of changing trailer tires and boat batteries every two years regardless of how they look. In my opinion, both are ****! I have not found it to be worth it to spend the extra money for extra tire life. the Goodyear Marathon was one of the most OEM bass boat tires out there, and I have NEVER seen a worn out marathon; they always fail before the tread life has expired.

Despite all of that we had a high speed blow out 20 miles into our OK to New England trip in 2016 with OEM D rated tires. Replaced with a set of E's and they are about to make their last big trip.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, the tread on my 2 Carlisle I had that failed looked great, right up to the failure. I thought the new ones were supposed to be better.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Curly2001 wrote:
Well, had a total blow out on two year old tires with less than 1,200 miles. Went to Discount and now they told me they no longer carry Carlisle and are recommending the Goodyear Endurance. Had to buy one Endurance because that is all they had and gingerly drove home with the 3 other "may pops". Will be looking at the Goodyear to see how they hold up. Want to have the whole set to match. Was 105 degrees on the side of the highway while changing the blown out tire.
NOT too happy.

Curly.....

Did the tire actually "blow" or did it go flat, then shred? Unless you immediately feel or hear the tire blow, it's hard to tell. All I can say is that I had a set of the pre-HD Carlisle RLs, and they were going into their 6th year on my old Komfort. Starting to show some weather checking, but tread was excellent.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My Carlisles are fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The new Carlisles are supposed to be a lot better. I just put on 4 new TT tires and went with the American made GY endurance.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We had 5 for 5 Carlisles fail on our last TT. And it was the tires fault - nothing else.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
You always want to run a match set of tires to get the best wear.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Which every brand you decide to stick with, I would suggest keeping all 4 tires the same brand. I had one of the original tires on my current trailer wear really uneven, and totally out of character for the other 3. I could have just replaced the one tire and probably been ok. But I decided to go head and swap out all 4.
I had Carlisle tires on my previous trailer, so for me it was a no-brainer. But I did struggle over swapping out the one bad tire or all 4. In retrospect now, I'm glad I did swap out all 4. Peace of mind is worth a lot, you know.