cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cedar Creek vs Grand Design Solitude

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts? Looking at the CC 36CKTS vs the Solitude 369RL? The Cedar Creek definately offers more options (EX: Full Body Paint, Residential Refrigerator) and they both appear to have a good reputation, I think.
35 REPLIES 35

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
campinghut wrote:
scotjima wrote:
An update:
CC Pros:
-Build Quality, Rear Cap, Full Body Paint, Quieter AC, Full Electric Fridge/Inverter
CC Neg:
-Taller Height, More Dated Interior vs the Solitude, Chinese Tires Only Option

Realy I thought the Goodyear g-614 were a good tire but I am known to be wrong on occasions

mine came w/ the goodyear tires also - american made 614's
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Going on 3 years with our Cedar Creek and loving it!
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

texas_train
Explorer
Explorer
all's I can say is love ours! loved it when we bought it, still do today! (see signature) In fact we are packing to go on shake down trip tomorrow for season. I have logged approx. 22,K miles on my GMC DMax, CC "In tow miles" have had a few minor annoyances Made a few alterations. works for us Thx Don and Rosie
Edited for spelling!
2012 Cedar Creek 36 RE Touring ED, all avail options
2011 GMC 2500 HD Denali DMax
2007 Sea Ray 290
Don and Rosie, Annie the wonder DogMost excellent Sea-Ray "Sapphire Queen"
clicky to our photobook album

mitch1189
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have had five RV's over the last 20 years. We spend about 5 months living in them each year - and last year purchased a CC 36CKTS. We looked at GD and CC and the floor plan was our deciding factor. There were several things in the GD that my wife liked better (especially the pantry :)), but overall the CC floor plan was one she liked better.

We have had issues with the fridge thermostat, and the oven pilot - both issues the dealer took care of by sending someone to our location to fix. The only other issues has been a sound in the entertainment system when the fridge fan runs - the dealer is sending someone out this month to install a "filter" to eliminate the sound. The dual zone air is terrific, and the rest of the features have really been enjoyable. I've not dealt with CC directly, but had researched forums pretty extensively before making the purchase and felt comfortable that we would get the care needed when buying a new unit.

Having had five new units over the last 20 years my experience is that almost all new units come with an issue or two (frustrating but reality). Once they are corrected the bottom line is what unit is most comfortable for you.

rgstarnes
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Solitude that I purchased last year in Feb. I have had a couple of warranty issues with it, all minor, but have found that Grand Design is more than willing to correct all of the problems. We have pulled the unit through the Smokey Mtns, the Keys, and the Panhandle in Florida with not problems. I can not speak to the CC, but can tell you we camped next to someone who had recently purchased one, and was very unhappy about the quality and/or service. They wanted to see our unit, and was going back to the dealer to see if they could swap. I would think most have similar equipment, and it is the service/warranty that makes the difference, which is generally the dealer. with the Grand Design, I just call them and they work with the dealer to make sure we are taken care of.
2013 F250 Crew cab, Grand Design Solitude 5th wheel

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I can not remember all they comments made over 5 days of camping, but first the roof line, the back of his Cedar Creek sloopes down in the rear limiting head room, not the case with the GD. Height of slide outs in the GD full 7 foot, his cedar creek has lower head room in the slide out. The lay out of the kitchen, the size of the bathroom and shower. The fit and finish, the size and comfort of the sofa bed, the cabinets and storage, just to name a few!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
scotjima wrote:
I spoke with the Cedar Creek rep at the Dallas RV show. He said Goodyear had derated the tires and that they had no choice but to go back to non-Goodyear tires. That is just what I was told, but the 36CKTS at the Dallas RV show did not have Goodyears on it.

Normal salesman again blowing smoke and not knowing what he is talking about. Someone in accounting/purchasing to not like the admission price!

Fresh off the Goodyear site.
*LT235/85R16 G BW 12 6.50 6.50 9.5 30.7 3750@110

Still rate to 3750 like ALL LRG LT235/85R16G tires. Industry standard!!!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with the Cedar Creek rep at the Dallas RV show. He said Goodyear had derated the tires and that they had no choice but to go back to non-Goodyear tires. That is just what I was told, but the 36CKTS at the Dallas RV show did not have Goodyears on it.

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
That's an interesting comment regarding the 'China Bombs' only on the CC. 2013 models with 7k axles came equipped with G614's. With all the bad press about cheap rubber, I'm kinda surprised CC did a purchase reversal decision and downgraded. Personally, I would have negotiated G rated rubber into the deal. CC had G614's on their heavier units for a reason.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
scotjima.... Congrats on your choice, you'll love it. We just back from four weeks in Yuma, Az. in our 369RL

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
I own a Solitude, my cousin a Cedar Creek. Recently he and his wife accompanied us on a short trip in the Solitude, I can not list all the things he said he liked in my Solitude better than his Cedar Creek! Add to that GD service and for my money I would pick the Solitude!

Now, you have to look at the floor plan of each, and pick the floor plan that suites your needs! Yes quality construction, and after sale service are important, but how the floor plan fits YOUR needs is the most important thing! Every time you use your rig the floor plan is there, if it works for you great, if there is some problem, even a little inconviniance you see it and it will get worst not better over time! Good luck in your search!

I'm curious to know what your cousin liked better.

Would you please share:)

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never buy a new 5th wheel without a rear cap. It is to hard to always walk around the front of the trailer because you can not stand the unfinished look of the rear. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:

I own a Solitude, my cousin a Cedar Creek. Recently he and his wife accompanied us on a short trip in the Solitude, I can not list all the things he said he liked in my Solitude better than his Cedar Creek!

Add to that GD service and for my money I would pick the Solitude!

Closest reply to someone actually having had both!..:W

I've never had GD service, but have read many posters coming close to referring to their 'service' as such..:R

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
scotjima wrote:
Cedar Creek no longer includes the Goodyear GS614 tires on at least their 36CKTS trailer. Their rep I was able to order this tire on the Solitude 369RL. Open Range has no tire options.

Thanks I did not know that.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)