cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy integrated brake system

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Duramax dually and pull a 16k fifth wheel. I am having tire issues on the 2013 fifth wheel which have been attributed by professionals to brake issues. I am getting flat areas straight across the tread on 17.5" Michelin XTA tires on the front axle only. The brakes are disc elec/hydraulic and made by Dexter. The last shop I was in couldn't find anything wrong and called Dexter who attributed the problem to too aggressive a setting on my ibc. I now have it set at 2.5 which in my opinion is too low. I have checked the axle weights etc and am slightly nose high on the rig although it is in the lowest setting on the hitch, pin box and spring hangers. Has anyone had similar problems? These tires are $400. each and I just replaced my second one after only 5k. I am concerned that it might be a ibc issue
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch
16 REPLIES 16

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. The axle/caliper are made by Dexter and have no slider pin. They have 4 pistons per caliper. Since I am setting in home base for 4 months, my next step is to pull the breakaway a few times and make sure all the tires roll ok then bleed they system a couple of times. I do have a module which between the truck and 5er.
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Denny & Jami wrote:
If you are having trouble with your ibc and hydraulic brakes just take two brake magnets and clamp them to the frame, wire them in parallel with the actuator set your controller to electric. It will think it's working with electric brakes not hydraulic.

Denny

This is what we did with our 2011 Chevy to make the hydraulic disc brakes work...the problem was solved with the 2015 that we have now.

As for the OP's question...we've been towing with a 2015 for over a year and about 10K miles...no problem with the trailer tires.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 chev and 2014 GMC and with the IBC and hydraulic disc brakes you need an extra module to make brakes work properly which is available from Mor/yde in Indiana . My second one was in stock at America's Choice RV in Ocala Florida. In 2011 Ram also needed this module and Fords did not. Our fiver weighs 19,000 lbs and controller set at 8 and haven't flat spotted a tire yet.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me if you are getting flat spots that axle is locking up for some reason and you should see smoke coming off those tires when you stop. Have the brakes been bled properly? You may have air in a line causing unbalanced braking front to rear. If the pins are ok and all things being equal all 4 tires should stop the same. You state you are nose high but the equalizer should keep the weight equal unless you are really nose high.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

esbeasley
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed over 30k with my elec/hydro setup and the GM controller with zero issues or problems. Tires are great shape, I usually have 4.5 gain when towing
'13 Chevy 3500HD LTZ;D/A;CC;4WD
2014 Big Horn 3070
MorRyde IS/Disk brakes

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
If you are having trouble with your ibc and hydraulic brakes just take two brake magnets and clamp them to the frame, wire them in parallel with the actuator set your controller to electric. It will think it's working with electric brakes not hydraulic.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, in my opinion for the brakes to cause said flat spots would require the brakes to lockup repeatedly in the same spot (not very likely). Sounds more like a serious balance issue or the wheels are not runing true.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
There is an interface module that allows everything to work. It doesn't however, fix the OPs problem.

Mark

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Sawdusty wrote:
On my 2014 Duramax dually the electric/hydraulic disc brakes on my trailer would not work with the ibc. The owner's manual stated this. I had to take it to the dealer and they ran a seperate wire to the back and I now use a Prodegy P3 controller. Everything works great now. The ibc is disabled.

I did the same thing with my 2014. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The IBC working correctly should be much better than the P3. Just saying! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Sawdusty wrote:
On my 2014 Duramax dually the electric/hydraulic disc brakes on my trailer would not work with the ibc. The owner's manual stated this. I had to take it to the dealer and they ran a seperate wire to the back and I now use a Prodegy P3 controller. Everything works great now. The ibc is disabled.

You are probably not interested since you have already purchased the P3 controller, but they make adapters to adapt your IBC to the disk brake controller.

Found this out after I had done the same thing.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a 2011 and now a 2013 Duramax with integrated controller. I pulled a Cameo with Kodiak single piston disc with the 2011. I tow a Lifestyle with Dexter dual piston disc. I have no problems with either set-up. Also, I have herd of the Kodiak being the ones to hang up due to the single piston - not the Dexter.
I would imagine that you have the device wired into the trailer brake system that makes the Duramax IBC compatible with trailer disc brake systems.
I'm not much help other than to say I have towed my current set up over 8k miles (Goodyear 17.5 tires, too) without issue. Flawless brake performance and tires are showing no signs of wear.
I can suggest a call or email to a guy who is very versed in trailer disc brakes. you might contact him and see what he has to say. Bill @ (813)363-4685

Info@stopyourtrailer.com

Good luck, Phillip
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Texas Two Steppers wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Have the slide pins on the calipers been serviced? Chris

No,I have not. Rig probably has 30k miles. Are you suggesting that these may be hanging up on the front axle?

I have read often that trailer disc brakes need a lot on attention regarding the slide pins. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Have the slide pins on the calipers been serviced? Chris

No,I have not. Rig probably has 30k miles. Are you suggesting that these may be hanging up on the front axle?
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor