Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete brake replacement Weekend Warrior Help Please

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,

I have a 2008 CR3705 Weekend Warrior 5th wheel 3 axle. I have had issues with the trailer stopping properly. I have a thorough mechanical background in automotive and have adjusted the brakes properly with a small improvement but not what it should be.

I disassembled one side today and found the drum in good shape, a minor seal leak and the shoes were at a reasonable thickness but heat cracked....time to change them all for sure. I am not to familiar with trailer brake manufacturers but it appears to be a 12"x2" ALKO setup. I think at this point it is a logical approach to replace the entire setup with new complete backing plate assemblies....new shoes, backing plate, magnet etc.....or is it reasonable to change the shoes and magnet and call it good. The other parts are fine but it all depends on cost.

Can you guys recommend a place where I can buy complete ready to bolt on backing plate assemblies?

Or any other receommendations for my project would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the help
Joe
8 REPLIES 8

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Heat cracking is normal to some extent on trailer brakes shoes.

Bet the wiring gauge is limiting the actual stopping potential of the installed brakes. That long of traielr needs pretty heavy wire gauge to allow the amps/volts to actually get to the magnets. OEm's cut corners on brake wiring to save a few $$.

If you install new loaded assemblies -get 7K rated 12x2 self adjusting Dexter. Eastern Marine or etrailer.com online usually have decent prices. Rights and lefts are different... All late model 5.2K, 6K & 7K 12x2 brakes interchange.

Al-Ko Axle Manual link:
http://al-kousa.com/download/ALKO_2kto7k_OwnerManual.pdf

Dexter Brake sub section manual -look at the wire gauge table! I have 10 gauge on my 30' Ragen TH fiver -this is what it took to have lesss than 3% voltage drop on the measured cable run wired in a star or home run scheme.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/600-8K_Service_Manual_3-13/Electric_Brakes_3-13.pdf

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobWanderer wrote:
lincster wrote:
Just buy the whole unit that is already to bolt on.
1 electrical connection and 4 bolts and you are good to go.

Thats exactly what I did in the fleet that I was a mechanic for 25 years
What I did as well.

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
Yes sir....after doing some research that is the most cost effective way to go!

Thank you all for the help

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:

Thats exactly what I did in the fleet that I was a mechanic for 25 years
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had the money to upgrade to disc brakes but no way.....I found them as complete units for around 50-75.00 depending on where I look. I think this is the best way to replace....just start new. Thanks for the help

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have the same brakes on my TT and I find them to be weak as well. It doesn't make sense because they are plenty big - TT weighs in at 7200 lbs while the axles are rated at 5200 each.
I will replace all the brakes in a year or two and hope things will get better.
Meanwhile, there are stronger rated magnets available (I have them though) so make sure you get those when you do the overhaul.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the money upgrade to disc brakes. If not complete brake assemblies run around 50 dollars each. And they can be had at any online trailer place or locally at a truck trailer shop like Six Robbles.