cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering 2007 Montana 3400RL - please help!

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! It's been a while!! We are going to look at a 2007 Montana 3400RL tomorrow morning. I have a concern about it.

The "mountain" decals have been removed due to peeling. It looks kind of dark in the areas where the logos have been removed. I have seen others of the same year on RV Trader where the decals are still intact.

What would cause this sort of thing? I would assume that it has not been kept under cover. I would think that the UV damage would have caused this?

Is so, I am wondering what kind of damage would have occurred to the roof due to the UV and being out in the weather all the time? Should we steer clear of this unit? The salesman, who sounded very sincere, said that there were no odors that he could detect in the unit, and that it had been very well kept. The people that traded it in even shampooed the carpet prior to trading it in.

They were asking $26,000+ initially. Then, I got a call a few days ago, saying that corporate has reduced the price drastically on all used units just to move them. So now, the price is down to $19,700. Is this a good price for a unit whose decals have flaked off?

If anyone knows of any issues with this year's model, please share!

Oh, yes...have there been any issues with the seams of the shower leaking water out into the surrounding walls?

Thanks for your help in advance!
23 REPLIES 23

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
It is frustrating looking at used units. Pictures do them much more justice than reality.

We had a 2007 Montana 3400RL and it turned out to be the best RV ever owned. Came factory with the 7K axles. Ours had the high gloss option and was garaged, so no decal issues, but I would agree on the fiberglass counters. They were not my favorite.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

TopSlink
Explorer
Explorer
jangowest, most trls smell musty if they have been sitting closed even mine does after I open it in the spring, I have a 2005 montana 3650 and the decals are shot, also had 2 newer raptors all the decals are garbage. Keystone only has decals for the last 5 years from he current model according to keystone, I just had some made for mine, the price of the unit does not sound bad depends on what shape its in hat additions it has check holding tanks for leakage I had to replace mine after I bought it ain't cheep , good luck test everyting

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I looked at over 150 used trailer before we found one we felt was a good match for us. Finding a good used trailer can be difficult. Its worth it in the end.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
We have been disappointed so many times that we did not expect a non-musty trailer no matter how many times I had quizzed the salesman about it.

Yeah...we may just have to go new...certainly newer than a 2007.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
My friends had a 2009 Montana and it suffered 17k worth of water damage... pretty horrible situation.

I'm not sure if its the quality of the Montana's or just that there are so many of them sold it seems like a higher proportion have issues.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
It was musty smelling...the main reason for the disappointment.

I've found this is the #1 problem with buying a used RV from a distance. You walk into the thing and your nose just says NO! (well, and your wife too).

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
It was musty smelling...the main reason for the disappointment. We also looked at a 2011, which we loved, but then, there was a funky smell in the BR. I finally found the source...there was mold inside the small closet between the bed and the shower.

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Montana 3500rl I paid 24,000 2 yrs ago my decals are cracking and peeling it's been a great 5th wheel
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
The unit was a disappointment, so we are continuing to look! Thanks, everyone for your input!

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Check but the 2007 Montana 3400 had 7K axles.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Check the axle rating. The early 3400RL were under axled. These tailers are 38-39'. I believe early ones only had 6k axles.

Chris

Can't speak for the 2007, but my 2008 3400RL has the 7K axles.

My second set of front decals are now starting to peel a bit, and some slight peeling on some of the original side decals , nothing I would change out yet. Pretty typical of most RV's ,fading or peeling graphics at that age . I am presently in Yuma Arizona, and if you want to see wear ,and tear on graphics come down here. Pretty tough environment on RV's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the axle rating. The early 3400RL were under axled. These tailers are 38-39'. I believe early ones only had 6k axles.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

SuperdutyII
Explorer
Explorer
The real fundamental issue regarding peeling graphics on Montana 5th wheels is not that they peeled but how Montana dealt with the issue. They stonewalled us owners and took no responsibility and we couldn't even get replacements for them. That is piss poor ethics IMHO. Will never ever buy another Keystone product.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
rhochnadel wrote:
We looked at a very clean 2011 Montana last summer, it was $30,000.

There are a couple of 2011s in our area but they are all in the upper 30s. I would really prefer the 2011, because I really like the kitchen countertop much better.

I would hate to make a 6 hour round trip and be disappointed!!!