Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

converter noise

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Full timers we are new to the full time life and still learning. My converter is a little loud some times and the lights flicker the converter makes a hum and sometimes loud pitch noise. I checked the batteries all good. Is this normal or is my unit about to go out?

Thanks for your help
enjoy life while you can:D

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Dutchmen Colorado 5th wheel 37 ft
12 REPLIES 12

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Old thread but I thought I'd add some info.

If you have a Progressive Dynamics PD4590 like me, I got some info from their support.

They said their system can sometimes make noise from a few places:

1. fans (Does the noise ever happen when fans are off or in cold weather? Mine does, so not the fans.)

2. In the photo below, there is a round white part at the bottom with copper wrapping around/through it. If you use something plastic to reach back and put pressure on that part, the noise may stop. (Don't use anything metal to do this!) If it does, they suggest slightly bending that part one way or another or just slightly twisting it can make the sound may stop (be very gentle, you don't want to break that part off the pcboard).

3. Less likely is the round components at the front.

They have a refurbishment program where they will ship a refurbished unit with a 1 yr warranty and you return your old unit. It's $126 to do (as of April 2017).

2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
thank you all i will test my battery again and it looks like its time to go shopping :h

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
low voltage will also affect your detectors and they will start beeping.

And depending on what model you have the fridge and air conditioning need 12 volt to run their thermostats.

These two appliances will come on, but when they reach their set temperature they will not come back on with low voltage.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
The RV is a 2011 Dutchmen Colorado 321RL the converter is a WFCO Model WF 9865 RV purchased NOVEMBER 2011 should this unit be out already it mainly flickers the lights in the morning. it's 1 pm right now lights on heater running all is good but it has its time when it makes noise and flickers the lights.

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
a) about to go out
b) annoying.
c) replace it
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It doesn't really matter what brand the converter is - they're not supposed to do that and those are the classic signs of one dying.
You should upgrade to a 3 stage converter now before it dies, kills the battery and leaves you without 12V.

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
You are observing the classic symptoms of a converter that is about to take a dump. Break out the wallet and start shopping, as soon as possible, for a replacement. There are many opinions on which one is the best, just go with one of the better known brands and you will be OK. When I replaced our I upped the AMP capacity by ten, just to provide a little more headroom. As always, YMMV.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
The high pitch noise is sometimes called "singing". If you search the forum you will see quite a bit of discussion about it. My progressive dynamics (?) does it ever since I bought the trailer new. I find it very annoying but don't really know of a solution.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
A small battery charger comes in handy if your converter goes out. I keep one in my storage compartment.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When they start humming it usually means one of the capacitors is shot. I'd check the output.

Leave the tester on after it hits what it is rated for. On mine it was putting out 'more' than it should and was boiling the coach battery.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Might help if you posted the made/model of your converter. My original old Magnatek converter would often make noise - sometimes fan, sometimes just humming. I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics converter which has always been dead silent.
Kevin

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
The first indication that my OEM converter was beginning to fail was the flickering of the lights....and then we noticed that the battery wasn't charging very well.

I carried a spare until the converter gave up the ghost - while on a weekend trip. Had to use the truck hook-up to bring up the landing gear.

The swap out was pretty easy.

You may want to order the replacement until needed.

Good Luck
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL