cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could use some advice on jacking up a large TH

east2surf
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, I have a break wire in one of the hubs shorting the trailer brakes. I am getting the same error codes and having trailer breaks go in and out. Now, I know how to pull the tires road side attached to the truck, but haven't seen a post about doing it while on level. It is currently in my yard, on a concrete pad and leveled with the six point system. So my question is, should I:

A. keep it on the six point leveling jacks and do the hub pulls

B. Take it out of level and go front jacks only and do the work

C. Hook it up to the TV, completely off jacks, and do the work

My TH is huge, 43' 9" and about 17,000lbs empty. It is a triple axle rig. I will probably have to pull each wheel until I locate the grounded wire. This happened previously, but the dealer fixed it last time. The problem is, the dealer is 3.5 hours away and I will not tow it with faulty brakes. I don't mind doing the work, I just want to ensure I don't damage the leveling gear. Standing by for some guidance. Thanks in advance.
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
2018 Heartland Road Warrior 425
10 REPLIES 10

east2surf
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the inputs folks, that's why I posted here. I have already inspected all of the wiring up to where they enter the drum, so all is good there. Great Idea to hook up and jiggle the wires at the drum head to isolate the one giving the error! Thanks again everyone. I will be doing this project over the weekend.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Magnets are not worn out. Not in that short of time.

Bad connector or broken wire.

Look at the obvious stuff first.
Butt connectors etc. pull on wires and see if anything comes apart.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
If the axles are Dexter, there is a pair of wires that goes through each axle to provide brake power to the other side. Those wires are infamous for getting rubbed on the inside of the axle and shorting out. I'm guessing that the indication of a short to ground is on your electric brake control. I'd have someone activate the manual lever and watching the brake control for a change in the display as you shake and pull slightly those wires, one at a time, that go through the center of each axle. If you isolate the problem to one of those pairs of wires, it is very easy to fix and does not require removing a brake drum to fix.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

east2surf
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is 7 months old(2018 Road Warrior 425) and has less than 4000 miles on it. I would HOPE the magnet wasn't worn out. I will check it as well.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, your short is probably the brake magnets worn out....I found it more cost effective to just replace the whole brake assembly.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

ecampbell
Explorer
Explorer
east2surf wrote:
Long story short, I have a break wire in one of the hubs shorting the trailer brakes. I am getting the same error codes and having trailer breaks go in and out. Now, I know how to pull the tires road side attached to the truck, but haven't seen a post about doing it while on level. It is currently in my yard, on a concrete pad and leveled with the six point system. So my question is, should I:

A. keep it on the six point leveling jacks and do the hub pulls

B. Take it out of level and go front jacks only and do the work

C. Hook it up to the TV, completely off jacks, and do the work

My TH is huge, 43' 9" and about 17,000lbs empty. It is a triple axle rig. I will probably have to pull each wheel until I locate the grounded wire. This happened previously, but the dealer fixed it last time. The problem is, the dealer is 3.5 hours away and I will not tow it with faulty brakes. I don't mind doing the work, I just want to ensure I don't damage the leveling gear. Standing by for some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Try this. My car trailer is 48' and is 21K.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Trailer-Aid-Yellow/29764285?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=0db892e0-f7ee-4828-8e0b-ff68e4ac2285&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=0db892e0-f7ee-4828-8e0b-ff68e4ac2285&item_id=29764285&parent_anchor_item_id=29764300&parent_item_id=29764300&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=anOL8K4HpnA7Vay6ecgKtE

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I’d use the me Levelling system and jack stands for safety. Then you can raise each wheel at the axle to remove the wheels and support the axle with stands.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
C.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I use 6 point to lift most of the weight (leave tires touching ground) and then lift each axle individually at U bolts to pull each wheel.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I would put some large jack stands under the frame, leave the 6 point leveling system down. Then jack up each wheel high enough to remove, another jack stand under the axle. I think you can get by with 4 jack stands for the axles, by supporting the center and either front or back but not sure as I've not lifted a 3 axle setup at once.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX