cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crack on the side of my trailer

albow
Explorer
Explorer
There is another one similar to this near the other end of the slideout. How do I repair this or stop it from spreading further? I'm not sure but I believe this is bonded aluminum. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1290499044298416&set=pcb.1290499147631739&type=3
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
13 REPLIES 13

albow
Explorer
Explorer
I will get this done tomorrow, among my other issues. Interestingly, the crack I did not take a picture of originates from under my gutter caulk and had some sort of caulk or material already on it. I have had my rubber roof replaced twice so maybe they saw this at that time and tried to put whatever this was on it. I certainly hope it didn't come from the factory like that and I never noticed until now, but it's obviously been there long at least a year and a half.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

albow
Explorer
Explorer
THank you!

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
albow wrote:
just penetrate the outside fiberglass/aluminum/whatever it is?
Just penetrate the outside skin...

Tim

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Flattop wrote:
What Dick B said
Do I drill all the way through the wall or just penetrate the outside fiberglass/aluminum/whatever it is?

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Quick drill a 1/16 hold just beyond the end of the crack. Be sure to be beyond and not in the crack itself. The hole spreads out the force that is causing the crack. It's easy to fill the hole with epoxy but fixing the crack is priority 1, of course.
So far, silicone is the answer I have gotten on fixing the crack. Is that the solution, or at least the only halfway economical one? At least that's not difficult. The hole to be drilled-Do I just penetrate the outer surface or go all the way through the trailer? I don't know if it's fiberglass bonded onto aluminum, pure aluminum or exactly how it's made.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
kennethwooster wrote:
Had a repair service told me to get pure silicone, not just ordinary, get fingers wet with water and work the silicone into the crack. This was in for several years when I traded it off. It worked fine.
Hmmm. Wasn't realizing that silicone was actually the final fix (short of full replacement) but something else I saw in trailer life seemed to indicate so. I assume your trailer was white. Did you use clear or white? I assume you mean the 100% silicone caulk in a tube for about $7 or is it something else?

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures should be visible now. Thanks.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Anybody have any other suggestions?

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Had a repair service told me to get pure silicone, not just ordinary, get fingers wet with water and work the silicone into the crack. This was in for several years when I traded it off. It worked fine.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so how do I fix the crack after that? Might it have been caused when my slide was hung on my refrigerator door for a couple seconds when I was trying to slide it out? The door seems to have survived.

Flattop
Explorer
Explorer
What Dick B said
Marty
2000 F-250 SD,SC,2WD,auto,LB,V-10,3.73
2002 Forest River Wildcat 27RL

1-wife
2-girls (ages 17-13)
1-Dark Red toy poddle (2 1/2 yrs old.....our baby)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Quick drill a 1/16 hold just beyond the end of the crack. Be sure to be beyond and not in the crack itself. The hole spreads out the force that is causing the crack. It's easy to fill the hole with epoxy but fixing the crack is priority 1, of course.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Besides fixing the crack I would suggest finding out what caused the crack. We had a crack at the corner of the bedroom slide, traced had it fixed or so we thought, the repair cracked traced it to a broken pin box.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.