cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crossroads Cruiser experiences and Shortbox Ram clearance

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
We added to our family last year and now have 3 kids so were outgrowing our 2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH. We had planned on going with a KZ model that they discontinued and don't really see any on lots. We went to a camper show today and they had a 2014 Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF31DB which will be a model CAF29BH for 2015. Either way we really liked the triple rear bunk room, island counter in the kitchen, interior fit and finish and the way things seemed to be sealed up a lot better especially underneath compared to our heartland which was a mouse haven before going through a lot of pest block foam. The 15 definitely had a few nicer features then 14 with a nicer outside finish, stronger roof, and standard slam latches. Just wish it came with LED lights and nice dumping station like the Cruisers. I'd love to hear what others think of their crossroads campers.

My other big concern is we pull with a 2013 Ram Megacab which has the 6'3" box and use a B&W companion hitch. With our current Heartland Sundance XLT the front corners are cut back a long ways so we can still safely back to 80+ degrees. The front on the Crossroads Cruiser didn't look as cut back and I'm afraid we would for sure have to go to a slider hitch.
2013 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.7L
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH
12 REPLIES 12

frank_henn
Explorer
Explorer
Pull my unit CrossRoads CF32BL with a 2007 Dodge 2500 Mega cab, no trouble at all

31dirtracer
Explorer
Explorer
See signature. Using a b&w companion hitch. Can jack knife with no issues. Maybe on extreme off camber sites it would be close.
'07 3500 SRW MegaCab 4X4 Manual
'13 CrossRoads Patriot 355BL

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
kc81c

Some friends of ours used to have a Crossroads Cruise 5ver ... model ? which was pulled by a 2008 Dodge CTD QC shortbox. They switched to a Pullrite Superglide hitch. Made tight turns and tight backing one less thing to worry about.

2006 Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4 LB QC DRW
2007 Mountaineer 336RLTS
2000 Lance 1130
2 Camping Collies (always ready to go)
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
quote=SooperDaddy
Crossroads side walls are "hung wall", not vacuum laminated, and is glued in place foam board insulation! In the roof, floors and slides are merely spun pink fiberglass glued in between the walls, with a minimal R-value of R-7..and that spun glass can settle with age leaving "voids" of uninsulated space in the walls. They also ad a thin foil sheet of "astro-foil" which is basically mylar and in order to work needs an air gap above or below it, and in this case does not.

For example the other brands mentioned have as standard 3 times the insulation by as much as R-29 Floors, R-27 Roofs, R-8 walls...all High pressure vacuum laminated vs Crossroads more prone to leaking hung wall R-7.
====================

Just wanted to clear one item up. SooperDaddy is correct, the "astro-foil" that many RV Manufacturers use to "boost" their R Values are only good if the is a MINIMUM of 1 inch air gap between the foil and wall. None of the RV manufacturers provide an "air gap" of 1 inch in their walls. It's a PR promo to convince people of their super high R Values. Standard insulation materials available to the RV Industry will never equal a true R Value 29 or 27.
Remember folks even in the best home insulation it's the "dead air" trapped that prevents the transfer of heat loss. That's why there's such a high thickness of fiberglass insulation in ceilings (roofs). that fiberglass isn't insulating- it's the dead air trapped in the fiberglass.
Happy trails,
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We pull ours with a ford short box, not sure how short ours is compared to the dodge. We do have a slider hitch and have never needed to use it. We had to cut it tight a couple times getting into a site and cleared it just fine.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF 🙂 campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
So has anyone pulled a Crossroads Cruiser with a Ram short box then. I've only found one fifth wheel in the whole Forest River lineup with a similar floor plan to the one we like. A wildcat 303BHX.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
While Silverback and Cedar Creek are not what one would say high end they both use hung wall construction.
Per Cedar Creek;
•3M® Silaprene Bonded Sidewalls – Resilient, grows
stronger with age. Also has outstanding resistance to UV,
heat, cold, moisture, oils, gasoline, highway chemicals,
and creates a bond that cannot delaminate with time

Just an example of a non vacuum bonded wall.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy our Crossroad cruiser. So far no major problems and Crossroads have been really good helping us with what ever issue we have. Go to there forums and get some good info, also if you do go with the brand in July there is a rally in Indiana. The rally is a good time, get a factory tour, and also talk to reps. Good luck on your decision.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF 🙂 campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Goon_F250
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Crossroads website to get correct construction information.
2014 Ford F250 6.7 4x4 CC Platinum
2012 Crossroads 335SS Provincial

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but I have to give an opposing point of view as I do not consider anything laminated to be better in quality in any way to the much prefered hung wall construction method. as many high end full time rigs use hung wall construction.
History has tought us that anything that is laminated can de-laminate and with a laminated wall there is no easy fix other than replacing the entire wall.
You are correct the block foam is a very good insulator but a laminated wall with block foam will hold moisture if it leaks thus speeding up the whole delam process.
Anyway it does not matter because Crossroads no longer uses hung wall construction they switched over to the less expensive laminated walls last year.
BTW I love my Cruiser.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you great info. That's the kind of thing I was interested in. I had convinced myself not to buy another Thor brand after our heartland but the one we looked at was quite a bit better built then our Heartland. It doesn't change the wall problem but Crossroads did upgrade the roof for 15. Our first camper was a Forest River Rockwood that was rock solid. We liked the sound of the KZ but the floor plan fell through. Now I guess its time to start plugging through Forest River and Jayco's websites and see if I can find a similar floor plan. I wish the smaller bunkhouse models weren't mostly budget models for their respective lines.

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
The Crossroads Cruiser Aire does NOT have the cutback front nose that would clear the rear cab of your Dodge in a tight turn or while backing into a tight space. CrossRoads is a Division of Thor, note that what you CAN'T see does in fact matter.

I treat an RV purchase like an investment, and purchase the best quality with the most ammenities as well as Dealer and Factory Support. You also want to research the "nuts and bolts" of the unit...how it's made, design, workmanship, quality, how well it fits my needs and who builds it.

The Crossroads does NOT have high pressure laminated roofs (and thus 10 times more likely to spring a leak!) and floor construction either...unlike all Jayco's, Forest River, Starcraft and many other RV brands.

High pressure vacuum lamination is 10 times less likely to leak than hung wall construction, and with "vacuum pressure lamination"...several tons of even pressure is applied to the high tech glued walls for 20 minutes in a giant vacuum bag...this bonds it into a solid, foam/aluminum core sandwiched leak proof structure.

Crossroads side walls are "hung wall", not vacuum laminated, and is glued in place foam board insulation! In the roof, floors and slides are merely spun pink fiberglass glued in between the walls, with a minimal R-value of R-7..and that spun glass can settle with age leaving "voids" of uninsulated space in the walls. They also ad a thin foil sheet of "astro-foil" which is basically mylar and in order to work needs an air gap above or below it, and in this case does not.

For comparison all Jayco's and Starcraft, 35 other brands and all Forest River RV's have higher R-Values...vacuum lamination and standard Better insulation than the Thor Crossroads.

For example the other brands mentioned have as standard 3 times the insulation by as much as R-29 Floors, R-27 Roofs, R-8 walls...all High pressure vacuum laminated vs Crossroads more prone to leaking hung wall R-7.

Plus the other brands of light weight 5ers are more likely have front nose caps that are contoured to clear your cab! I merely point out there are in my opinion better choices and better brands!

Try looking at Jayco Eagle HT's, Prowlers by Heartland, Rockwood Signature Ultra Lites, Salem Hemisphere Lite, Wildcat Maxx, Keystone Cougar UltraLite, Open Range Lite and Prime Time Avenger. All very good brands, all vacuum laminated, all progressive customer friendly companies, great value and quality too. The Jayco even has a 2 year warranty! Good luck!

All the above is just my opinion based on my observations and research including 30+ years of RVing, 11 years and 19,154 posts on this Forum as well as several other RVing blogs and ownership of over 15 different RV's including 8 Jayco's. :C
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W