cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Toy Hauler for 7K Cargo

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a Toy Hauler that I can put my 5,000lb Jeep TJ & 900lb Harley Road Glide into. So I need 23-24' of cargo area and it has to be able to handle the weight which most toy haulers are not.

I have been talking with Dune Sport as they seem to be the only company who can make this type of trailer. Plus I am a disable veteran and a below the knee right leg amputee so Dune Sport also makes their trailers with a ADA bathroom.

If anyone has experiance with them I would love to hear about it or if you know of another manufacture who can build such a trailer please comment.
32 REPLIES 32

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I just called them and had to leave a message for them to call me back. Will see what they say about adding a axle to the trailer design and a different shower. I ain't rich but this is my retirement plan so spending some funds to get a good trailer that will last me is worth it in the end.

Here is a motorcycle dolly that I like better than the first one I posted.

Dolly

I am not sure about getting into and out of that bed but there is a local dealer I could go try it out.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can call Sundowner and get better information. I know they can be pricey, but do build solid trailers that last.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Well see once I do more searches I find things I hadn't before. I know Sundowner is a good company but they don't have a lot of info on their website for building trailers. I found this one on a vendors website and it actually fits my requirements almost to the T. If they can put in a different shower and add an axle for more payload it would be perfect. I had never seen this design of a trailer before from them.

https://www.trailerworld.com/2019-sundowner-2286um-toy-hauler-Zlmg%7Cvxc.html

I might be over thinking it but to park the bike inside the 4' garage get this.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-5001-5077-Motorcycle-Dolly/dp/B01LVW76IJ/ref=asc_df_B01LVW76IJ/?t...

Then I could roll the bike in sideways. Fire away with your thoughts.

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Millennium, Intech and Featherlite make car haulers with living quarters. You can even get a side escape door to make entering and exiting the Jeep easier. You will most likely need to pay extra for height and will have to be aware of the door width so it clears your tire offset.

I have a Host truck camper with large dry bath on a Class 5 flatbed and tow an enclosed trailer. It's a steep cost if you have buy everything at once, but doable if you upgrade as you can.

Have you considered making a another redneck toy hauler with a larger travel trailer up front on a longer gooseneck?

Yes I've looked at Featherlite & Millennium. Also looked at the Sundowner Krawler Hauler.
Krawler Hauler

The price on the Sundowner is a little more than I was looking to spend.

Y-Guy
DuneSport comes up on here every now and then. I really don't hear to much reports back about them from actual owners, though there have been some and it's generally not positive remarks but that's also the norm. What I do recall is them not being very good about warranty repairs, but they have lasted through the downturn, unlike many others so that does say something.

As for others, there are not many manufacturers left that due custom work. You might want to look into some of the cargo trailer companies that do some though.

I still wish something like these were a bit more popular

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Discovery,
I'll be honest that I have never loaded my Jeep into a enclosed trailer so have no idea what it will be like to get into and out of.

I've had a RedNeck Toy Hauler before and was thinking about building one again. But have to figure out how to make the bathroom work for me.
Being an amputee just adds one more challenge to enjoying life but it isn't going to stop me.

Bedlam
Millennium, Intech and Featherlite make car haulers with living quarters. You can even get a side escape door to make entering and exiting the Jeep easier. You will most likely need to pay extra for height and will have to be aware of the door width so it clears your tire offset.

I have a Host truck camper with large dry bath on a Class 5 flatbed and tow an enclosed trailer. It's a steep cost if you have buy everything at once, but doable if you upgrade as you can.

Have you considered making a another redneck toy hauler with a larger travel trailer up front on a longer gooseneck?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
First off:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!

I've seen a lot of Dune Sport trailers over the years, not very high end but I see a lot of OLD Dune Sport trailers still in use, so that says something about their durability.

One comment regarding ingress/egress above might be an issue for you with a prosthetic leg and the mess of a wet/muddy jeep inside a TH is not a pleasant thought either. Here in So Cal we don't have a lot of mud so not so much of a concern with the toys.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Right now there is only 1 person sleeping in the trailer.

I've thought about a camper and was really thinking about it but the bathroom on most RV's unless it is a LARGE high end RV are too small. I need a shower that I can install a bench into for sitting and a stool to put my stump on.

Like I said Dune Sport will build the trailer I am just curious if there was any other manufactures that could do this? Or if anyone had any experiance with Dune Sport.

I use to have a RedNeck Toy Hauler.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I hauled my jeep in an enclosed trailer a few times and it worked but if I ever trailer a jeep again it will be on an open trailer with a metal floor.

The width of the jeep forced me to climb out the back after it was loaded. Had to have a trailer with extra roof height. And cleaning the trailer floor after a weekend in the dirt was a pain. Tying down the jeep for travel was also a challenge do to the fact that the jeep was up against the sides of the trailer.

As much as I would hate to see that beautiful Harley on an open trailer I would look at a TC and open trailer, a TC on a gooseneck with the jeep and Harley loaded behind, or a TC with a platform for the Harley and flat tow the jeep.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
How many are sleeping in the trailer? Is a truck camper an option? Have you thought about a truck camper (or even a shorter camp trailer body) mounted on the front of a gooseneck flatbed?
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
SoonDockin wrote:
Ya, but the Jeep is street legal everywhere and not so for the RZR.

Exactly. Plus I guess he doesn't understand "THE JEEP THING"
If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand. That Jeep was my theraphy project after I was wounded in Iraq in 2004. I used my combat pay to make it what it is today.

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Artic Cat Wildcat. The issue with many SXS's are two fold.

1)Not street legal in some areas so you can't drive to the trail or can't drive from where one trail ends to the start of the next trail.

2)Being a amputee the cockpit of all the SXS's I have sat in are not condusive to my below knee amputation. I would need to move the throttle to the left side and then there still isn't room to sit in the SXS comfortably.

3)The amount of money I have invested into my Jeep I would never get back. Plus my daughter would KILL me if I even mentioned selling that Jeep. I bought it when she was 6mo old and she grew up Jeepin in it.

So no a SXS isn't the answer for me. As I said Dune Sport can build me the trailer I am looking for that can handle the weight I want. And they offer the ADA bathroom which is a HUGE deal when I don't have my prosthetic on.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ya, but the Jeep is street legal everywhere and not so for the RZR.

Look at SunDowner. They build custom all aluminum frame trailers and have a pretty good reputation in the horse hauler world.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps if you traded the Jeep for a lighter weight RZR or CanAm or such you might have better luck finding a TH.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE