cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cut Noose Cap to Raise Pin?

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever cut out the fiberglass nose cap to raise the pin box? In order to make up for a nose high fiver.
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710
28 REPLIES 28

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
I have about 8" of clearance from the bed rail to the bottom of the 5vr. I can not adjust the hitch to lower it at all, Super Glide. I can not raise the pin box any higher because it is tight up against the fiberglass nose of the 5ver. The pin could physically go up another set of holes if I cut into the fiberglass noose to take a piece out of it as wide as the pin and 1-1/2" high so the pin box can slide up.

Can't get any pictures until next week end now.

How nose-high are you? If only a couple inches, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in the same boat as you and, because I go off-road, I =need= the clearance and I don't worry about being 2" nose-high.

Lyle

Front is about 8" high then the back. Being a long trailer does help, It is about a 1.3deg up angle.
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Track suspension alignment install will get you 2".

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
I have about 8" of clearance from the bed rail to the bottom of the 5vr. I can not adjust the hitch to lower it at all, Super Glide. I can not raise the pin box any higher because it is tight up against the fiberglass nose of the 5ver. The pin could physically go up another set of holes if I cut into the fiberglass noose to take a piece out of it as wide as the pin and 1-1/2" high so the pin box can slide up.

Can't get any pictures until next week end now.

How nose-high are you? If only a couple inches, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in the same boat as you and, because I go off-road, I =need= the clearance and I don't worry about being 2" nose-high.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
Doesn't your Jayco have the Jake plates that the spring shackles are attached to? Our 1996 Designer 3030RKSS and 2000 Designer XL 3610RLTS did. If so, are the shackle bolts in the bottom holes of the Jake plates? Looking at your tires in the wheel wells, it doesn't look like it. Dropping the shackle bolts to the bottom holes of the Jake plates would raise the 5th wheel 3" to 4", IIRC. That would certainly help to level it out.

Rusty

The shakes have 3 holes on the ends of the springs and 2 holes in the middle where the link is.

The middle on is in the lowest hole. The ends of the springs are in the middle hole. So yes I could lower the ends one hole, but that is only going to gain me maybe 1/2", don't know if it is worth the effort. I would need to go up almost 7" to get level, not going to do that.
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't your Jayco have the Jake plates that the spring shackles are attached to? Our 1996 Designer 3030RKSS and 2000 Designer XL 3610RLTS did. If so, are the shackle bolts in the bottom holes of the Jake plates? Looking at your tires in the wheel wells, it doesn't look like it. Dropping the shackle bolts to the bottom holes of the Jake plates would raise the 5th wheel 3" to 4", IIRC. That would certainly help to level it out.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pictures of it hooked up. Seems to pull fine with no issues so I am going to run it for now. Other wise I have to start raising the suspension.

Their are 3 pictures

#1 Normal Height
#2 Alt Trailer Height
#3 Transport Height (can't actually drive it in this setting but I took a picture)

1999 Jayco Designer 3710

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I would figure out how to raise the trailer 2" to fix a nose high condition (several options out there) before reducing the clearance between the truck bedrails and the 5er overhang ... even 8" is too close for me. A twist in a driveway or campground entrance (or off road) and you will customize both the 5er and truck in a blink of the eye.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford Super Duties have large (I think 3-4" tall) steel blocks under the springs. If you have a Ford maybe you could take them out or have a machine shop mill them down to about 2". I am not sure if this would affect your driveline or not
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I did when I installed my MorRyde. I had to remove about 1/2" IIRC from the front part of the cutout where the king pin sits. I just used a small peanut grinder and a diamond tip cutting wheel.

I had to cut it because I had to raise the MorRyde up to bring the front of the 5er down.

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Something doesn't sound right. You should be able to drop either the pin or the hitch enough to get it down to 6" of clearnce.

If true, a simpler solution might be to find a shorter pinbox and bolt that in place.

I put on a TrailAir pin box which hangs down a lot further then an original 7910 pin box. But can't seem to find any original 7910 pins any more and they don't make them. The TrailAir I have it what they consider a replacement for the 7910, but it is longer and hangs down further, about the only thing that matches is the bolt holes.
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Something doesn't sound right. You should be able to drop either the pin or the hitch enough to get it down to 6" of clearnce.

If true, a simpler solution might be to find a shorter pinbox and bolt that in place.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
Cutting the nose cap is asking for problems. Structural, water, you name it. I do know that pullrite offers different pins if you are using the super rail setup. There are short and long pins which differ by about 3 inches iirc. Check it out on their site or thru your dealer. May be an easy fix.
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Dually Duramax L5P
2015.5 Jayco Seismic 3902
2015 EZGO Express S4 buggy

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
By noose are you talking about a plastic hitch pin box cover?

Dwight205
Explorer
Explorer
Take it the local RV dealer and ask them.