cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deep discount on 1 model year old TH?

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that bought a TH one model year old, did you get a deep discount? I am considering a 2013 Cyclone 4000 instead of a 2014, but I only want it at a very good price. Otherwise, I might as well order a 2014 with the options I want instead of settling on a leftover.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon
23 REPLIES 23

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Got ours over 1 year old.Some of the pics they had of it showed over a year of lot sitting according to the dates on the pics. But we bought ours during the rv depression a few years back.Listed for mid 80's,they wanted low 60's,then it went on sale for $49,000,got it for $30,00 cash out the door. No one was buying rv's,let alone one this big.

Only problem now is that CW knows what we paid for it,bought it in St.Augustine and looking to trade it in at Lake City for a smaller 38' non toy hauler.They seem to think that $20 G's is a good deal,maybe for them,but not us.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

tjar66
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered ours from the factory and still got a good deal.
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins
2007 Desert Fox 305j
2011 Yamaha Raptor 700
2005 Yamaha Raptor 350 Wife's
2004 Honda 450r Sons
2007 Honda 250ex Daughter

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
If I can sell my 5er myself, it will save me several thousand more since the price is better than the wholesale offers. If I can't sell it in my timeframe, I won't worry about it. Life is too short.

that is what I did when I ordered my Chieftain. had my bounder on a consignment lot and had a trade in price if it didn't sell. it sold a day before my new one came in so that worked out great.
bumpy

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
So far I've been working with 3 dealers via email and phone. One other dealer hasn't bothered to get back to me.

Of the 3, one dealer is retail and the other 2 are wholesalers often mentioned on this site. With my trade, the wholesalers are less than 2K below the retailer for the exact same unit. If I can sell my 5er myself, it will save me several thousand more since the price is better than the wholesale offers. If I can't sell it in my timeframe, I won't worry about it. Life is too short.

As things are now, I likely will go with the retailer since they are 4 hrs away versus a 2-day drive. If my unit sells, wholesalers here I come.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
SRockwood wrote:
For most people, it's probably easier to do your negotiating via email or fax. On-site negotiating will often have the buyer pressured into buying, and your lack of familiarity with the process (depends on the person, obviously) might show.

Best part about email/fax is you can write preposterous things without a stutter giving it away. Just check out the ones you like, head home, make a decision, and then email the person you talked to asking about best price, etc (or call and tell them to fax it to you). Whittle it down on the one you REALLY want, then ask them if they can do better with one of the 2013s leftover on the lot, and make a decision if it's worth it.

I fully agree.....Thats how i do it.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
I bought our 2011 in 2012 used. I found the 2011 sale documents in the information packet. The 2011 sale price was 54K. I bought it one year old for 23K. It took me ~10 months to find this deal but it was so worth it. Clark Howard on CNN Money will tell you to do the same thing with anything you buy, except hot dogs. Don't buy them used.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:

That would be true if the dealers actually started at their Wholesale price. Just because they are way lower than MSRP does not mean they are talking wholesale. I have found they will immediately give you wholesale trade in and then you have to shop like crazy to get the new unit price down to what we are calling "wholesale". I understand it's a business but its a pain in the ass. I HATE haggling! In my perfect world everything would be the price on the sticker. Take it or leave it. Then they could stop with the ridiculous sticker prices they put on these things

I agree with the haggling issue, I used to go toe to toe with a salesman and my favorite comment with them is, "I assume you just became a salesman yesterday?" and enjoy when I am leaving in my car and they come running out across the parking lot. ๐Ÿ™‚ but my last dozen cars and RVs all were purchased with no haggling or anguish. I knew what I wanted and was willing to pay and it wasn't like in the old days when they would throw in floor mats to make the deal.

well I suppose we should be using the term "dealer's invoice" rather than wholesale. That number that I got on my Consumer's Report price/cost breakdown sheet agreed exactly with the one that the salesman produced. But I actually doubt that even the dealer knows his exact cost for the unit until end of the month or year with volume incentives, etc. What I didn't like about the CR price sheet was that they actually were happy with including the "advertising costs" in their figures. IMHO advertising costs should be just a cost of doing business and goods should all be marked up to cover costs.
bumpy

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
kfp673 wrote:
My experience has been that it is less about the model year (unless it is getting really old) and more just about what is on the lot. For example if you were looking at a 2014 model on the lot they will typically work much more with you on that vs if you order one. Now if they have a 13 on the lot and a 14 on the lot of the same model then the year might make a small difference. The trouble I am running into right now is trade values. Most dealers here will only offer wholesale trade in which is very low.

lets see, you want to buy at wholesale but think it is unfair for them to give you wholesale for your used trade in? they can buy a new one at wholesale, why should they pay any more for a used one? during discussions with my salesman we could either deal wholesale to wholesale or retail to retail. but to expect wholesale on a new one and retail for your trade in is silly.
bumpy

That would be true if the dealers actually started at their Wholesale price. Just because they are way lower than MSRP does not mean they are talking wholesale. I have found they will immediately give you wholesale trade in and then you have to shop like crazy to get the new unit price down to what we are calling "wholesale". I understand it's a business but its a pain in the ass. I HATE haggling! In my perfect world everything would be the price on the sticker. Take it or leave it. Then they could stop with the ridiculous sticker prices they put on these things

T-bones
Explorer
Explorer
my suggestion would be to wait untill the fall if you can, that'll be when the '14's start to roll in and they WANT to get rid of the '13's and usualy at a much lower cost.
We picked up our Fuzion last Oct and being it a brand new '12 model it worked out to 41% off the MSRP of 89K. Yes I could have gotten the color I wanted and maybe a different color sofa in a brand new one but chances are it would have cost me 10-15K more.
Very happy with fall shopping. It even worked out on our Outback before this. Dealed site unseen at an RV show on last years model and when we went to look at it they only had the brand new ones which we got for the same price we agreed on.
2010 Ram 3500 CTD Mega 4x4 swd
2012 Fuzion 315 monster package
2009 HD Crossbones
2009 HD Iron
2010 English Bulldog
and most important the Wife and 3 kids

my996duc1
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our toyhauler for $35k (2012) new but it had a msrp of $48k. We recently traded it in and they gave us $30k on trade. They turned around and listed it for sale the same day for $40k and it was sold that week. Who knows what they sold it for but I doubt it was much less than what we paid for it new.

Sounds like pricing is all over the place on these. Guess it pays to shop around.
_
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
My experience has been that it is less about the model year (unless it is getting really old) and more just about what is on the lot. For example if you were looking at a 2014 model on the lot they will typically work much more with you on that vs if you order one. Now if they have a 13 on the lot and a 14 on the lot of the same model then the year might make a small difference. The trouble I am running into right now is trade values. Most dealers here will only offer wholesale trade in which is very low.

lets see, you want to buy at wholesale but think it is unfair for them to give you wholesale for your used trade in? they can buy a new one at wholesale, why should they pay any more for a used one? during discussions with my salesman we could either deal wholesale to wholesale or retail to retail. but to expect wholesale on a new one and retail for your trade in is silly.
bumpy

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I think they, (RV salesmen) are just auto salesman wantabees.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II

05hd350
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to get 30% off a brand new TH, so unless they are in the 40% or better range to me it's not really a good deal in my opinion.