cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Towing vs Toyhauler

dkuntz
Explorer
Explorer
I’m struggling to find a toyhauler that will work with my 3/4ton truck for weigh capacity on the hitch and still provide enough garage space for my ATV’s. So I’m considering to go with double towing. I’m not worried about handling the two trailers (grew up on a farm towing trailers all the time), and I’ve read about how all the state laws are double towing are different, but I like the idea of having a trailer for my ATV’s so I can just grab that trailer and going riding ATV’s whenever I want, and I like the idea of my fifth wheel being shorter/smaller/lighter for when I just want to go camping. I’m in Colorado, and appear to be surrounded by States that allow double towing up to 65’+, so if I stay at 65’ I should be okay.

What am I not thinking of that would making double towing a dumb idea?

Does anyone know what Fifth Wheel MFG’s provide their trailers with hitches already installed and what kind of capacity I could pull behind them? I’ve noticed some of them call the hitch out specifically on their website (without capacity) and others don’t call them out at all.
2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax, short bed
2020 Keystone Cougar Fifth Wheel 29MBS
Diamondback cover - Sided loaded
2017 Polaris Sportsman 450
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 X2
15 REPLIES 15

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful with double towing. Some states prohibit a double tow. Even if you are licensed and can tow in your home state, you have to abide by the laws of the state you travel through.

Next is the hitch rating on the trailer and the load allowed by the manufacturer. The frame on most trailers is very light and cannot take much load.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
dkuntz wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! My problem is the garage size and how big of one I need for the ATV's. Their 89" & 83" long and 48" wide. I've found that a garage is really 8-9" shorter than what is shown, so to put my ATV's in a T configuration I really need a 12' garage, and that will leave me with zero space...and the frustration of having to turn the one ATV sideways (even with using a dolly jack). The 89" ATV is too long to turn sideways because the I'm finding the clear space inside is only 95" where the couch/rails are and the 89" ATV is nearly 96" corner-to-corner. So I think my options are to go with the double tow option and keep my ATV's for now, or go with the Toyhauler option and replace my ATV's with a 4 seater SXS.

Think there are some TH that have 13' garages.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
I double towed for a couple of years with either my 2 place jet ski trailer in back or an open trailer hauling my Polaris Ranger. Both worked fine. My 5th wheel was a 29' Laredo and I towed with a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with an 8.1 in it. The setup worked and towed well but you have to remember it is very long. Gas stations can become an extra challenge. Parking lots for stops along the way can be a challenge. When you arrive at your campsite the 1st thing you have to do is figure out what to do with the back trailer. I would bring along a hand dolly purchased from Harbor Freight in order to be able to move around the back trailer. A lot of campsites won't have room for 2 trailers and a tow vehicle. The hitch on the back of my 5th wheel was custom made by a friend and very heavy duty. Did it all work - Yes. Was it a pain at times - Yes. Was it worth it to take my toys to some very fun places - Yes.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

dkuntz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback everyone! My problem is the garage size and how big of one I need for the ATV's. Their 89" & 83" long and 48" wide. I've found that a garage is really 8-9" shorter than what is shown, so to put my ATV's in a T configuration I really need a 12' garage, and that will leave me with zero space...and the frustration of having to turn the one ATV sideways (even with using a dolly jack). The 89" ATV is too long to turn sideways because the I'm finding the clear space inside is only 95" where the couch/rails are and the 89" ATV is nearly 96" corner-to-corner. So I think my options are to go with the double tow option and keep my ATV's for now, or go with the Toyhauler option and replace my ATV's with a 4 seater SXS.
2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax, short bed
2020 Keystone Cougar Fifth Wheel 29MBS
Diamondback cover - Sided loaded
2017 Polaris Sportsman 450
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 X2

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We've done both. Put a camera on the back and also a TPMS. I double towed several years and had neither. Never had issues, but probably was lucky. Regardless, the downside is you can't back up.

Toy Hauler has whatever you're hauling inside/secure/out of sight. Built in generator and extra water capacity is a plus if you're off the grid.

In our case, we wanted to be able to travel in states where it was illegal. We also wanted built in gas generator. We've adapted to the living space compromises.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
There are a ton of 30' bumper pull toyhaulers out there that'll work for you. It's the 5th wheel pin weight that produces the problem. A 30' bumper pull is a lot of trailer and will have the same garage space as my 35', just a little tighter in the bathroom/front bedroom/kitchen area up front.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dkuntz wrote:
I’m struggling to find a toyhauler that will work with my 3/4ton truck for weigh capacity on the hitch and still provide enough garage space for my ATV’s. So I’m considering to go with double towing. I’m not worried about handling the two trailers (grew up on a farm towing trailers all the time), and I’ve read about how all the state laws are double towing are different, but I like the idea of having a trailer for my ATV’s so I can just grab that trailer and going riding ATV’s whenever I want, and I like the idea of my fifth wheel being shorter/smaller/lighter for when I just want to go camping. I’m in Colorado, and appear to be surrounded by States that allow double towing up to 65’+, so if I stay at 65’ I should be okay.

What am I not thinking of that would making double towing a dumb idea?

Does anyone know what Fifth Wheel MFG’s provide their trailers with hitches already installed and what kind of capacity I could pull behind them? I’ve noticed some of them call the hitch out specifically on their website (without capacity) and others don’t call them out at all.

Don't forget that THs are built nose-heavy so when you load your toys up, you'll counterbalance a lot of the weight, especially if you load right to the ramp. I know one guy that loads his 2 quads in his TH and stand them on their tails, just inside the ramp, to get as much weight on the rear end as possible. May not be the smartest thing to do, but it's been working for him for several years. Like you, he's got a 2500 and can't afford to get into another truck.

That being said, most factory installed hitches are 3000/300 capacity, so if your trailer, quads and other stuff gross out <= 3k, then you should be good to go...provided it's =legal= to double-up in whatever state you want to go to. Most states seem to have a grey area here, and most LEOs in those states don't know for sure, either. Some people just go and hope they don't get caught.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Our Winnebago 5th wheel came standard with a 300 lb hitch weight/3,000 lb towing capacity hitch as part of the frame. We pull the boat with it. (70" length limit in our state.) We would recommend putting in a rear observation camera. It has been very helpful to be able to see the boat (and the surrounding traffic...) back there when we are traveling.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My factory installed hitch is very stout, but only rated for 300 lbs hitch wt, and 3000 lbs towing. In reality, the hitch could likely handle double that, but thinking that FW suspension/tires may be reason for low rating.

Hauling several ATVs on a trailer built to handle 3-4 is going to be much more tongue wt, than those of us double towing motorcycles. Even 2 ATVs, with one close to tongue is going to be a lot of hitch wt.

Maybe trade the ATVs for some dirt bikes, which IMO, would be more fun anyway. With the bikes, you could go either way, double tow, or smaller toy hauler.

Jerry

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could also rethink the idea and get a motorhome toyhauler, to put your toys and friends/family in, and then tow whatever else you want ( subject to weight/length limits ). Four down vehicle, flatbed trailer, pickup. But if you already have truck, 5ver then this might be a too expensive (undesirable) alternative. Just a thought.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Whats it like when you just take the ATVs out? If its a couple adult men you dont need much. If taking the family and maybe younger girls you might wish you had the bathroom if out riding for the whole day.

Also how many quads you have in there would effect my choice. If the toyhauler is packed full and you can barely grab something from the fridge then a separate trailer for the toys would be ideal. I often just have a couple dirt bikes so my toyhauler is livable even with the bikes strapped down in the back.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stick to the double tow!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the way my 5th wheel handles with my motorcycle trailer in tow. I also have a lift I can put on the back of my 5ver. It depends where I am going whether I take my bike on the motorcycle lift or trailer. Almost always I prefer the lift so I don't have to deal with the second trailer once I arrive at my destination.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2020 Grand Design Reflection has a factory hitch rated at 3000 pounds.
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD