cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Double towing

travelcamper
Explorer
Explorer
We are researching best way to tow a Honda Goldwing trike behind a fifth wheel and be legal in all states. Would like to hear from anyone with experience and advice on this subject.
23 REPLIES 23

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will have to admit that the new toyhaulers are much nicer than a lot of them when we first started looking at 5th wheels/toyhaulers about 10 years ago. About all we could find then were toyhaulers that looked like you just hose them out. Not much in the way of nice looking interiors. Things have definitely changed, for the better I might add.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
The post I was replying to made a blanket statement: "just upgrade to a big toyhualer." I was making note of the fact that "it ain't necessarily so". ๐Ÿ™‚

Excuse my phraseology.I should have said change from as regular fifth wheel rv to a toy hauler style fifthwheel.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The post I was replying to made a blanket statement: "just upgrade to a big toyhualer." I was making note of the fact that "it ain't necessarily so". ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Winged One wrote:
travelcamper wrote:
We are researching best way to tow a Honda Goldwing trike behind a fifth wheel and be legal in all states. Would like to hear from anyone with experience and advice on this subject.

Only way you can be legal in all States is to get a Toyhauler.

Just my thought if I ever started needing a motorcycle or small car with us,just upgrade to a big toyhualer.I also thought about a HDT with a ramp between cab & hitch.
Well, moving from a 5th wheel to a toyhauler isn't necessarily an "upgrade". The 5th wheel before our present toyhauler was much nicer inside than our toyhauler: bigger bathroom and shower, nicer kitchen area, just nicer overall. But the toyhauler carries the bikes better so we sacrificed a bit to do that. But no way is our toyhauler an upgrade from our previous 5th wheel.

That may be in your case - but there are a lot of different 5 ers and a lot of different toy haulers. For some it may be an upgrade.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:
Winged One wrote:
travelcamper wrote:

Just my thought if I ever started needing a motorcycle or small car with us,just upgrade to a big toyhualer.I also thought about a HDT with a ramp between cab & hitch.
Well, moving from a 5th wheel to a toyhauler isn't necessarily an "upgrade". The 5th wheel before our present toyhauler was much nicer inside than our toyhauler: bigger bathroom and shower, nicer kitchen area, just nicer overall. But the toyhauler carries the bikes better so we sacrificed a bit to do that. But no way is our toyhauler an upgrade from our previous 5th wheel.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Winged One wrote:
travelcamper wrote:

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Just a couple of bewares for both:

The swivel trailers can really add to the tail swing! I watched a Cougar with an ATV on a swivel trailer struggle to get out of a fuel station onto the road.

A standard trailer on too short of a tongue can make for a bad vacation as well. The wide swing on these 5th wheels can put that rear trailer at a tight swing pretty fast and it may meet the rear clip on the 5er. Check the turning angles and consider its not always level.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
GPG52! wrote:
On the topic of "getting away with it"....I wonder how the insurance companies would look at a claim in a case where you were not legal on the road. I suspect this would be grounds to reject a claim and possibly cancel your policy completely. Food for thought... I'm not an insurance expert. GPG

They would look at it the same way as if you were doing anything else illlegal - like driving too fast, following too close, not using turn signals, DUI, etc. They would pay the claim.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the topic of "getting away with it"....I wonder how the insurance companies would look at a claim in a case where you were not legal on the road. I suspect this would be grounds to reject a claim and possibly cancel your policy completely. Food for thought... I'm not an insurance expert. GPG
GPG ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I would never consider double-towing as RVer's like to refer to it. But I ran into another camper last year that was traveling with a fiver and Harley trike, not a toy hauler. He had a light weight aluminum trailer for the trike and a hitch on the trike. He could actually tow the aluminum trailer with the trike if he got stopped.

Something like that could be the answer for you if worried about certain states. If you get stopped and they force you to unhook, just have the DW drive your rig and you hook up your trike to the trike trailer and away you go until you get out of that state. Or at least get down the road 50 miles or so.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
I have some friends that travel quite extensively, more so than me, and they search out and talk to folks that specifically double tow in FL (some are residents others are not) and nobody has been stopped. The non residents some from Canada and some from Indiana have been doing it for several years. Actually one fellow from Indiana just made his 3rd trip and has passed FHP, GaHP and locals and was never given a second look. There have been indepth discussions with 2 FL residents. One is over the 65 ft length and again no problems. Then another fellow has gone from Ft. Meyers to Stone Mountain in GA as well as towing back and forth to DISNEY, never stopped. He actually told me the catch is in FL it says no to double "trailers" ball hitch and a FW is not considered a trailer per the definition. The consensus - as told by FHP that if your driving "sanely" they have no reason to pull you over. Keep your head about you.

With the above said, this is only a 'drive by' survey so travel at your own risk. However, personally, I also tow a small trailer behind my FW that has my golf cart and I have been quite a few places myself and have never had law enforcement issues in the states I have passed through.
Gene & Robin Somogyi
Proud Parents of an Air Force Fighter Pilot
2015 3500 Chevy CC/Duramax/Allison/4X4
2005 Discover America LS 33.5RLTG
Two (his & her) 2003 SeaDoo GTX 4Tec Supercharged toys
2006 EZ-Go 6Passenger Cart

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
travelcamper wrote:

2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I would look into something like this platform with swivel wheels on it. I don't think this is considered a trailer but a platform attachment to the end of your trailer... This would be for your motorcycle or golf cart...

Not claiming that this is legal everywhere, but if I was interested in carrying anything that would fit this and not be over the its weight limits this is what I would use. I would be sure to have a heavy duty hitch system professionally installed on my fiver.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

RedRam
Explorer
Explorer
Some states do allow double towing while other states do not allow it.
All states that do allow double towing have a maximum towing length and not all those states have the same allowable towing length.
I advise you to check the laws in each state you plan on traveling to see which ones allow double towing and the maximum allowable length.
2016 Laramie Longhorn Aisin Trans
2016 Bighorn 3970RD