cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drop 5th for a local sightseeing trip?

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
I recently went from a Class A motorhome to a 5th wheel. When traveling, I liked to park the Motorhome and drive the Toad looking at local sights, then return hook up and continue the day's journey. I don't feel comfortable dropping the 5th in a parking lot and driving off. What do you folks do??
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3
12 REPLIES 12

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Leave a sign telling it has a lippert frame and china tires. No problem.

kidding of course

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done it a couple of times at grocery stores in the Northeast (streets are narrow and tight) and at National Parks.

Check with a manager or Ranger.

Put it in the far corner of the lot and chock the wheels.

Unhitch and switch off power to the landing gear.

Lock up and put on the pin lock.

Go!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

1slomofo
Explorer
Explorer
if you are worried about someone hooking up and taking off then I would unhitch and lower the front end too low to hook up to for any truck and pull the fuse or put a hidden switch to disable the landing gear motors.

They would have a HECK of a time trying to figure out how to lift it high enough to hook onto it.

I use to do this with my bumper pull and electric jack.

-2015 32SAG Eclipse Attitude Toyhauler
-2010 Mosebilt 2-seater Long Travel Sand Car
-2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
-2006 Kawasaki Kfx400
-1984 Wife

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the campgrounds around here offer daily storage rates that are rather reasonable. Might check around with some CG's near you to see if any of them offer that.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Just leave it at a Walmart if one is nearby. I've seen it done several times. Days at a time in some places.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
That's interesting... I've never come across that situation as we're always at a campground when we're out so the 5th wheel stays there when we go sight see.... but I guess if you're in between sites en-route to someplace else, I could see where that might be an issue. Good post and replies. I usually use a pin lock anyway, at home or at the campground.

The only time I remotely came to a similar situation was stopping by at the corner in Winslow AZ... lol, we had enough space to park the entire rig on the street, so we did that and walked over to the famous corner ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I've had resistance from a couple of RV sales/repair lots so I quit trying those. They claim (rightfully so) that their insurance will not let them store units they are not working on.

I've had good luck with independant businesses like tire places and (non-chain) truck stops. Always use a pin lock and take irreplaceable documents like passports with you.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We've done it many times. Usually will leave it at a campground in their overflow parking or at an RV related business with a large parking lot. Couple of times at a truck stop. We always get approval from management at a business. One time we left it in a small town grocery store parking lot.

If you use a king pin lock it's no different than leaving your MH. The king pin lock will prevent anyone from hooking up to the 5th wheel.

There are security systems just like car alarms or more sophisticated that will call your cellphone if someone tries to break in or move the RV.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I agree; don't think I would be comfortable doing it. I wonder if you might find an rv dealer in the area that might be willing to let you drop it there for a short period?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Leave it a campground. Or leave it at a storage place maybe a volunteer fire station or Church. Somewhere where a donation to their cause may help your cause
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have never done it. And probably would not. But as a minimum I would get a good pin lock for it. Someone seeing a MH sitting in a parking lot would probably think the owners were nearby shopping. But a 5er with no truck attached would look as though the owners had left it there and went off on an excursion somewhere. Would be more tempting to those with other than good thoughts on their minds.