cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual pivot vs Single pivot Fifth wheel Hitch

Templar1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a newbie question. I am a commercial truck driver who has just moved from a truck camper to a small fifth wheel trailer. I have a Dakota and I will be towing a single axle Travelaire. My question is single pivot vs dual pivot, and what experience people have had with them. Obviously tractor trailers fifth wheels pivot for and aft, not side to side, but commercial equipment is much tougher than recreational equipment.

I am leaning towards a dual pivot head because my plans include some unpaved roads, and some light logging roads. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
13 REPLIES 13

pressure_welder
Explorer
Explorer
little overkill for your application, but i love my reese signature series 20k
2015 RAM cummins 3500 dually Limited
2018 Montana high country
crestliner sportfish

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Buy a B&W Patriot.

X2

X3.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
jerem0621 wrote:
Buy a B&W Patriot.

X2

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The B&W Companion is a 4 way and it seems to me that it is just easier on the 5th wheel if the hitch can move rather than putting a lot of stress on the connection area of the 5th wheel pin.

I don't believe that I would own a 2-way hitch.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Two way? No way!
Four way, yay!:B
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Real world experience: I went on a hunting trip one time and set up camp on uneven terrain. I had a two way hitch. I could not get the pin to align with the plate at all. I finally had to unhook the upper section of the hitch, hook it up to the kingpin, then use the trailer jacks to drop the hitch back onto the lower section. It took over an hour to hitch up.

X2
Our first 5th wheel RV hitches pivoted fore and aft only. The hitch industry added a side to side pivot feature for the reason above.
I've also had wedged pin issues trying to get hooked up and trying to get unhooked while set up on primitive camp areas.

The 4 way eliminates most if not all of those type issues.

Also the old two way was very hard on the hitch jaws when pulling the trailer at a angle across a dip or ditch with the truck twisting one way and the trailer the other.
I would get the 4 way pivoting hitch.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many pivots are good.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Real world experience: I went on a hunting trip one time and set up camp on uneven terrain. I had a two way hitch. I could not get the pin to align with the plate at all. I finally had to unhook the upper section of the hitch, hook it up to the kingpin, then use the trailer jacks to drop the hitch back onto the lower section. It took over an hour to hitch up.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Templar1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick response. That was my thought, just wanted to see what the experienced folks thought.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
No way I would ever have a 2 way pivot again. Way too hard to unhitch on uneven ground.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
4 way is the only way to go....
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a B&W Patriot.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can't beat a 4 way pivot head.

Not only for the extra movement allowed while going on unpaved roads, but off chamber driveways, tilted camp sites etc.

Makes it easier to hitch/unhitch when truck/trailer are not lined up

Get the 4 way pivot.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31