cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

emergency breaks

jomimac
Explorer
Explorer
When changing a tire, can you set the emergency brake to lock the wheel to enable one to remove the lug nuts. It is difficult to remove the lug nuts especially if you've had a blow out and have lost your tire. I'm speaking from experience.
22 REPLIES 22

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
Emergency breaks should only be used when you are really tired and you need to stop for coffee or a nap.

:B

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Emergency breaks should only be used when you are really tired and you need to stop for coffee or a nap.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Electric (battery) impact wrench will help as well and be a whole lot quicker. Just one thing to carry. FWIW, I got a Earthquake one from Harbor Freight. Is it the best? Probly not, but for my usage, it will suffice.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone step on the brake pedal. Or, if you're alone, wedge something between the seat and the pedal until you can get the nuts busted loose. Time on the brake solenoids would be about the same as sitting at a long stop light.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

When I'm in a position where the wheel spins due to the tire being flat or nothing to hold it, what I'll do to crack the nuts is I will use my 18 inch flex bar with a deep 6 point socket.
I get positioned so I have a good grip point, then rotate the wheel quickly clockwise with the bar and socket, then very quickly reverse direction, turning the bar counter clockwise with as much force as I can. Usually the momentum of the wheel is enough to crack the nut loose. Sometimes have to do it a couple times.
I've done the same thing with a star wrench too. Or using a star wrench, I'll hold it with one hand and give the other end a firm kick with my foot.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10.. In my case, the one time I had a flat tire on my tandim axle trailer, there was not enough pressure on the flat tire to loosen the lugs without the flat tire spinning when I tried to loosen the lugs. Tire was completely flat.

That's when I did what I did above and it worked great.

Just what worked for me at that time.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Loosen the lugs before jacking it up. They only need to be loosened enough to be able to turn after the tire is lifted off the ground.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you mean engaging the break away cable, it's not like your parking brake on your vehicle.. The trailer wheel will need to turn just a bit to engage the shoes from the magnet that is now locked on your drum.. Not really a good way to do that if it were me..

What I would do is get out my level boards and build up enough height to pull the blown tire on and that should put enough pressure on it to bust loose the lugs and then you can jack up or use whatever other method you would use to get the wheel off the ground to change the tire.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.