cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EMS-HW50C Hardwired EMS-HW50C Surge & Electrical Protector

WeXtheUS
Explorer
Explorer
Who has and is using this hardwired electrical protector from Progressive Industries? Curious of any problems with it failing and not getting power to the RV. My understanding is if this unit fails, you won't be getting shore power to the RV. I'm sure this had been brought up numerous times in the past. Are there any easy work arounds to this issue?
18 REPLIES 18

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the EMS completely fails just remove it. Just 4 wires to move or twist on some large wire nuts to bypass. Mine (30 amp hardwired)is working fine for a decade.

bjlakatos1
Explorer
Explorer
We have one, very happy with it. It has shut down power to my rig when it was over 135v at the pole and when it was 103v at the pole. I have seen on other forums an installation using twistlock connectors to make it easy to uninstall.

I have had surgeguard (prior rig) and can tell you this was the first thing installed on my new trailer. The progressive unit has a long history of good performance and
after sale support. I can personally confirm their prompt and effective support. No affiliation just extremely satisfied customer.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Have used one going on 7 years now. Never an issue and great tech support - 24/7.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Never heard of that happening. It does have a bypass switch so you can force it to allow power through even if it detects an issue and shuts down.

I have one and the three things I don't like about it is the fact that the readout was off quite a bit and I had to calibrate it (should be done at the factory) and if you install it yourself, they can deny warranty coverage.
Then there's the display that's right out of 1972.

If I had it to do over, I would take a closer look at the Surge Guard unit and then decide.