cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhaust brake thoughts

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody using an aftermarket exhaust brake on their third generation Ram Cummins? I'm considering having one installed on my 05. Are there any specific brands that are the best. Any issues with transmission?
17 REPLIES 17

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Pacbrake inline on my 03 several years ago and it was well worth it for all the mtn driving I do. I wanted the ebrake separate from the turbo. I already had the air system and I found a vendor that sold just the brake and control kit. It's been flawless. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

huron52
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BD exhaust brake. With the manual I put a push pull switch on the stick.
2006 Dodge quad cab RAM 3500 drw 4X4 6 speed stick
2007 Fleetwood Redline 335 Toy Hauler

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
Likes to tow wrote:
Some of you installed the Pac Brake yourself ?? Was this difficult? A local shop quoted me $650 labor charge and I don't know if it's worth this much to have it done. I'm not helpless or clueless when it comes to mechanical and electrical issues and may just do it myself. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I did install mine myself but was 10 years younger and had access to a friend's shop with a good lift. Would not want to do it without the lift myself. Took about 6 hours if I recall correctly working by myself. Not difficult at all.

I did the install in the driveway, did in two steps. First installed the compressor and wiring. Then the next day installed the butterfly valve on the back of the turbo, and modified the exhaust down pipe. Total time about six hours.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I installed mine on my '97 myself, including changing out the exhaust valve springs. Those last 2 cylinders were a major pain, but I understand new valve springs are no longer required. It wasn't a PBRX (didn't replace the exhaust to turbo elbow) so welding required. I haven't welded since before MIG/TIG so I paid to have that done. Also, on the '97 automatic tranny, I had to include a TC Lockup box, which had to be wired in, that was a little flakey at times, but still not hard to install.

I intend to install a PBRX on my '07/6 speed myself and don't anticipate any (much ... too much... great) problems. But, like my wife has learned when I tell her "this should only take X hours, she says "see you in 2X or 3X hours". ๐Ÿ™‚

PacBrake instructions were very clear, detailed and easy to follow.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Likes to tow wrote:
Some of you installed the Pac Brake yourself ?? Was this difficult? A local shop quoted me $650 labor charge and I don't know if it's worth this much to have it done. I'm not helpless or clueless when it comes to mechanical and electrical issues and may just do it myself. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I did install mine myself but was 10 years younger and had access to a friend's shop with a good lift. Would not want to do it without the lift myself. Took about 6 hours if I recall correctly working by myself. Not difficult at all.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2000 ram with an Allison as well and will be installing one soon. I may even put a new turbo on it which has a built in exhaust brake. The turbo is being tested at this time with a new design. It spools just off idle, no lag.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a PacBrake on my '97 Dodge Ram and will install one on my '07 Dodge Ram soon.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
I installed a Pacbrake on my 2004.5 Dodge 3500 48RE auto about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. They make a specific version for the (pre-2006) auto which includes a trans controller that handles the lockup. It works great. There's also a toggle switch with LED that lets you turn the EB off and tells you when the TC is locked when it's turned on. I leave mine turned on all the time.

Coming down the Sherwin Grade (a 20 mile 6 percent grade on CA395) used to fry my brakes by the time I reached the bottom. With the Pacbrake, I don't even have to touch the brake to maintain a comfortable speed. In fact, I have to speed up occasionally. I won't ever tow heavy again without an EB.

Have to say dittos to this post as I have the same truck and brake. Shifts are a little more abrupt with the brake on and it will hold lock-up to lower rpm's. Agree that it makes towing so much better and safer especially if mountains are on your route. I turn mine off when driving around town. The PacBrake tuns off automatically at speeds less than 24 mph.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Pacbrake on my 2004.5 Dodge 3500 48RE auto about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. They make a specific version for the (pre-2006) auto which includes a trans controller that handles the lockup. It works great. There's also a toggle switch with LED that lets you turn the EB off and tells you when the TC is locked when it's turned on. I leave mine turned on all the time.

Coming down the Sherwin Grade (a 20 mile 6 percent grade on CA395) used to fry my brakes by the time I reached the bottom. With the Pacbrake, I don't even have to touch the brake to maintain a comfortable speed. In fact, I have to speed up occasionally. I won't ever tow heavy again without an EB.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
My Cummins is an older version but the Pac brake on has been there for years and works great and coordinates with the Allison trans.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've had the PacBrake for most of my trucks life and it works great.
My only regret was I didnt get it even sooner.

If you have an auto, some extra work is required to keep it locked up during decel.
Well worth doing and very doable with your model year.

Starting in 2006 the transmission and computer were upgraded to be fully exhaust brake capable without any modification.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had a 2004 Ram CTD and could not install an exhaust brake because of the 48RE transmission. There was a transmission change shortly after that but I don't remember exactly when.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed a PacBrake on our 2nd Gen Ram 2500 5 speed manual. It is awesome very seldom use service brakes on down grades. I would also strongly suggest the turbo mounted unit, that is what I got.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"