cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expected output from two 2100 generators...

5er707
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Powerhouse 2100 generators in the mail coming my way with a parallel kit. My 5er is a 2013 Heartland Prowler 30 TBS with the outdoor kitchen. It's a 50 amp trailer. This trailer has two refrigerators. The inside fridge runs off of gas and electric while the outside only runs off of electric. Can I expect to be able to run both refrigerators off of the generators or just plan to bring a cooler full of food. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have never gone dry camping in this trailer yet.
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You could run both fridges on just one of the generators.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
A small outside refrigerator (with a compressor) will use 150-500 watts when running but may well draw 3500 when starting.
With 4000 watts available, if you're running an air conditioner or microwave when the refrigerator starts something will fail.

The inside propane-electric refrigerator (heating element, no compressor) when running on AC will use a couple of hundred watts, but without the surge on starting. On propane, it uses only the 6 watts or so of 12v for the controls.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

Ronandpat
Explorer
Explorer
The 2100 is rated for a max power of 2100 watts (4200 watts when paralleled). Typically the max continuous rating is several hundred watts below that amount. You need to consider the full load that these units will see including the ac, converters, crockpots, hair dryer and etc. if you are close to the max and the ac kicks on you can damage the compressor from low voltage.
WE GO WHERE WE ARE TOWED!
Ron, SOP and the SOC
N9LRO
Greentown, In
2016 Coachman Chapparal 336TSIK
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Alley Fox wrote:
Check the starting current requirements of both fridges, you may want to figure out a way to make sure they both don't cycle on at the same time.....

Bingo!

OP - you need to provide more info.

Check the electrical req's for each - back of fridge or owner's manuals.

Is the "electric only" fridge a small(er) apt size or full size?

BTW - your thread would see more action (replies) if you posted in the *Tech Issues* forum.

You will find lots (and LOTS) of generator info there.
Everything you wanted to know - and then some..:W

~

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Check the starting current requirements of both fridges, you may want to figure out a way to make sure they both don't cycle on at the same time.....
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of places have specific hours you are allowed to run a genny...and specific noise levels. Are you sure these off brand generators will be quiet enough? I would just plan of running the main fridge on gas. It won't consume much and bring a cooler for the other stuff that won't fit..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
5er707 wrote:
Can I expect to be able to run both refrigerators off of the generators.
If you have 4200w at your disposal, yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just run the inside fridge on gas and the outside fridge on electric. Would make it easier.