cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

extended awning rooms - screen pull downs..

hfd3189
Explorer
Explorer
New (to us) toy hauler.. anyone use the screen room additions that turn your ramp into a room? good ? bad? or how about the screens you can get to leave your ramp down?

just wondering if they are worth it?
6 REPLIES 6

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our TH for ~1 1/2 years now. Used it twice.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
I love mine, makes the TH cooler due to air flow, but also add some dust if you don't get it closed in time, due to the sudden wind gusts that happen around here.

I can close the ramp door and leave the screen room set up.

The only mod I did was to add several 1/2" gromments to the very bottom of the screens and then used several long buggie cords to hold the bottom part of the screens against the ramp door, when open. This stopped the bug problem from getting inside etc.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
We have the roll down screen wall and have used it a few times and it really is nice, not too hard to set up either. If conditions are right it works well. With ours you can leave it down and close the ramp.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Bedlam
We had an open floor plan toy hauler and tried the screen room. Although it added considerable space and airiness to the TH, it was insecure if left with it set up. I found setup and take down was not worth the trouble and returned the screen room. The retracting screen would have been a better choice for us, but we also realized that the northwest gets more wet days than dry so did not pursue that option.

If we had a dedicated garage with locking door to the living area, I believe we would have kept our screen room since it adds 8' more of living space. Realize that some campsites do not have the length to keep your ramp open, so keep your type of camping in mind before deciding.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Shadowman00
Explorer
Explorer
I think its a very individual situation. For us, my wife is very private and doesn't like it down, however I like the idea of being more open, but since we all know who makes the decision our ramp door remains closed.

It also depends on your set up, I've recently seen some of the larger TH where they can extend their ramp as a deck and have a "fence" for lack of better terms around it. These are the TH with the seperate garage, so that would make a big difference for us, where the wife could be inside, and I could have the porch area? I see a ton of people using these set ups, but not so much the "Screen Room".. Again, I think it depends on the type of person you are or more importantly that your significant other is?

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our used toy hauler last year it had the tracks for a screen at the back but no screen in the top, must have been ripped and taken out by previous owner, we thought we woul replace but we just leave the air on and have not thought about it until now.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000