cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel Clearance

NewLeaseOnLife
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up my new 346qbud...but I have some clearance issues. I have approx 5 1/2" clearance from the top of my bed rails but my tonneau cover frame takes up 2" so I realistically have 3 1/2". While backing into my driveway I sheared of the bulkhead door latch :S

What is my best option? Raise the hitch to the top position which is approx an additional 2" or drop the kingpin to its lowest position which will add around 1"?

I am already slightly nose high so I'm trying to get the most clearance without my new 5'er pointing to the moon.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
19 REPLIES 19

HD_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
LOL LOL Treaves good One
2000 Volvo 420, 370 ISM Cummins,
10 Speed, Single Axle
2001 5th Wheel HR Presidential SKT 36.5

woodworker59
Explorer
Explorer
I have 51/2 " clearance with long box and doing fine. Been very close a few times on front corner during Sharp turns. Knock on wood. The hard part is remembering after 6-8 hours on the road. 51/2 will work. I have a soft cover. Happy camping. Dave

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I was in the same position. In the end I was forced to get a different tonneau cover to make things work. You will need to adapt in order to make things work.
A different cover was the most economical solution for me vs. raising 5'er.
Check out the Tonnopro Hard folding cover. I came across this cover after the fact. What is unique about this cover is that it folds up totally out of the way. There are no tracks or rails to interfere with the pin box. It seems is ideal for use with a fiver.
I was in the same position. In the end I was forced to get a different tonneau cover to make things work. You will need to adapt in order to make things work.

Tonno Pro Cover
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

relliott75
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the QBUD, what are your impressions of the RV as far as fit/finish/quality?
2007 Jayco 29FBS / GVWR 8800
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 CTD MEGACab 4x4 Laramie
Kansas City, Kansas
DW, 2 Kids & 100 pound GSD!

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
My tonneau cover set up 2 inches too, so i took a hacksaw to it and cut 4 1/2 ft of the back end, and bolted the front end to the box and used the clamps on the back pieces. Takes about 2 minutes each to put on or take off. This is a rollup cover.

soling2003
Explorer
Explorer
Get a new bed cover. I have the Bakflip and it is only about 1/4" above the bed rails. Works great.
Long beds especially need 6" clearance. Raise the hitch first, then try pin if you need more.
DW and 2 dogs
2011 Ford F350 Dually LB 4x4 CC 6.7 diesel
2007 Grand Junction 35TMS
Peterson 37(just sold) T-37 R/C Sailboat at home

kiwiRVer
Explorer
Explorer
With regard to whether you should lower your pinbox or raise your hitch your are better off raising your hitch as long as it does not prevent you closing your tonneau cover as that is less likely to cause problems with the back of the pinbox hitting the side rails of the truck which sometimes occurs with some tonneau covers such as roll-n-lock. The roll-n-lock rails decrease the internal width of the tray by 2-3" either side.

I cannot help you with the trailer height however as either solution will have the same effect on this. As noted by others you may be able to flip your axles if they are not already flipped.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you post this twice - two different threads a few hours apart????:h

et2
Explorer
Explorer
treaves wrote:
Um... remove the tonneau cover?

Reminds me of the old joke: "A man says:Doctor, it hurts when I do 'this'. Doctor responds: don't do that."

Some people don't want to advertise everything in there truck bed when not in use. Myself included. Fortunately I barely have enough room.

To original poster,look for a lower profile cover. This is what helped me. Only thing is it protrudes from the rails wider into the bed area which might cause a swing issue with the rear of the pin box in tight turns. Just cut out 1" or so with a saw to get the clearance you need.If you don't the pin box will do it for you.

I have almost 6" clearance and have had no problems.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nose high..........how much?

Get that rig weighed especially the axles separately (front & rear) not just trailer axles

If not much difference in weight then GO Camping.
Just pay attention thru dips, approaches etc.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
I have 6" after I remove my cover and store it in the pass through as well and I've never hit.
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

Judgerr
Explorer
Explorer
I have 5 inches clearance. Have been towing this camper 10 yrs now w/o any problems. But I have a "short Bed". I do though remove the Tonneau cover and put it in the pass through for travel! It's not that hard to do!
2008 F-350 6.8 DRW Lariat 4x2 Aug 2014. Scan Gauge II, Bilsteins,
Full Timing & Loving it!
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 321RLTS
I'm not a judge, it's just a nickname from USMC days!
"SEMPER FI" Vietnam 1968!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Go back to the dealer and see what they suggest as a solution. They should have worked with you to make sure your truck and trailer were setup properly before letting you off of the lot.

Some 5th wheels have adjustements possible to raise or lower the axle(s) at the 5th wheel spring shackles. That would be your best bet.

Otherwise you may need to do what is called an axle flip where the axles ride on the bottom of the springs or blocks added to raise the trailer if the axles are already on the bottom.

Your RV dealer is the best resource.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
treaves wrote:
Um... remove the tonneau cover?

Reminds me of the old joke: "A man says:Doctor, it hurts when I do 'this'. Doctor responds: don't do that."

x2
HR