cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel hitch question

CanadianCampers
Explorer
Explorer
I am purchasing a new fifth wheel that has a fully loaded (water & cargo) weight of 13,700 lbs. My current hitch is rated to a maximum of 15,000 lbs. My question is with 1,300 lbs left over can I still use my old hitch or should I upgrade to one with a higher load limit?
2015 3500HD GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel
2012 Flagstaff 8528BHWS
13 REPLIES 13

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
What ever you put in the front of the trailer and into the truck, ads weight to the hitch copacity. Think verticle weight pressing downward.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:
considering that bedroom closet is directly over the hitch, front storage underneath trailer is more added weight and everything you might put inside the truck bed and passengers riding along with you, you could very well go over your maximum. Get a heavier duty hitch so you won't have that worry.

How do passengers (in the truck, I'm assuming) and stuff you put in the bed effect the hitch loading? The OP should be fine at the indicated weights.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
considering that bedroom closet is directly over the hitch, front storage underneath trailer is more added weight and everything you might put inside the truck bed and passengers riding along with you, you could very well go over your maximum. Get a heavier duty hitch so you won't have that worry.

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Pro series also with no problems so far. It is just the sliding bar type that is pretty simple.
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
See you 'upgraded' your 2500 to a 3500.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
10 bolts all the way

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
AFAIK, the difference would be in mounting points (strength). The 4-bolt has just one bolt in each rail end and the 10 bolt has 2 in each end. Both can have another bolt in each rail center, but just holding with bed sheet metal.

I would get the 10 bolt system, if I were choosing.

Jerry

CanadianCampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. My current hitch is a Pro Series, sliding pivoting 15k hitch. I think I'll just stick with what I have as it seems it will be able to do the job.

Quick question, is there a benefit between installing either 4-bolt mounting rails or 10-bolt mounting rails? I have to install new ones on my 2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD (diesel).
2015 3500HD GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel
2012 Flagstaff 8528BHWS

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Most hitches are capable of handling weight to max rating. I think yours will be fine. You don't say what model, and many 15k hitches are kind of entry level. I'd use it unless you feel like upgrading to a better one.

Jerry

very good point.
worth also noting that I haul 25K worth of equipment at times with my upgraded "15k" hitch, this year as Im preparing to sell that truck I noticed that the holes in the sliders (the parts that are bolted into the bed of the truck) are turning into ovals.

when my 3500HD arrives Im going to be installing a 25K curt
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
keep in mind, the upgrade kit for some hitches is just a liability sticker and some new rubber pucks... as is the case with my old hijacker.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most hitches are capable of handling weight to max rating. I think yours will be fine. You don't say what model, and many 15k hitches are kind of entry level. I'd use it unless you feel like upgrading to a better one.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
14K 5th and a 15K hitch,,,,,,,,,,,,,good to go

Unless you are just looking for a reason to upgrade

Course you may want to save up and upgrade that 2500 in order to be with truck ratings with a 14K 5vr as you will be OVER
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
do yourself a fav get a B&W patriot