cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel Tailgates

eldee
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting to put a louvered fifth wheel tailgate on my '14 Duramax.
Looked at several online, not sure which to use. Carlson makes a nice one and is reasonably priced, any thoughts or suggestions from those of you using these kind of tailgates?
Thanks in advance, Larry
25 REPLIES 25

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dee Zee aluminum tailgate with an insert for the V portion when not pulling (along with tonneau cover provides shelter/some security for items underneath). I've also wired a backup camera into the factory wiring harness and attached to underside of tailgate (very inexpensive mod)--Works great via factory display screen.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't take anything to open/close my stock tailgate and I have to open it to plug in my lights and brakes. I like not getting water in my bed and being able to seal it all up with my roll up cover and stock tailgate.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ChuckV1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Owned 5er's for about 20 years, thought about a louvered tailgate. Thought was as far as it went! IMHO a complete waste of money.

Till you pull away an forget to lower your tailgate, then you think "why didn't I buy that louvered tailgate " Ops now you have to spend another $350 for another tailgate plus another $200 or more for paint to match your truck ...

Say it won't happen to you, well after 20 years of pulling goose neck trailers an 5th wheels it happened to me !!! So don't say its a waste of money when you bend your tailgate so badly you have to replace one ...Ugh

For a $100 deductible I will keep my tailgate WITH backup camera. Yes I can say it's a waste of MY money.

I feel the same way, the reason I buy Sailun tires instead of paying double for Goodyear, seems you have changed your mind about using insurance, does that mean you are now going to buy Sailun tires .:@

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, I use a V-gate, but I usually drop it to hitch/unhitch so I don't have to raise the FW so high. I use it simply for the reduction of in-bed turbulence that is bad enough to suck 2' 2x4s out of my bed.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We went with a V tailgate a long time ago, about 1993 simply because I felt that it wasn't if I would mess up the original tailgate, but when. So far, haven't had a problem with the V tailgate, although we do have to raise the FW a bit due to the lack of level in the parking spaces, but you would have to take down the regular tailgate anyway, so it's not a bit deal.
John A. Lichty

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ChuckV1 wrote:

Till you pull away an forget to lower your tailgate, then you think "why didn't I buy that louvered tailgate " Ops now you have to spend another $350 for another tailgate plus another $200 or more for paint to match your truck ...

Say it won't happen to you, well after 20 years of pulling goose neck trailers an 5th wheels it happened to me !!! So don't say its a waste of money when you bend your tailgate so badly you have to replace one ...Ugh

Funny, had a standard tailgate for several years...never had an issue.

New truck got the V-gate....first time hit the tailgate with the pin because it was an inch too low.

Luckily it was the plastic version. It flexed and popped out of the hinges with no damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
eldee wrote:
I had one of those high dollar aluminum ones on my previous truck and really liked it! Cut WAY down on wind turbulence and greatly improved hitching and unhitching.
Wouldn't mind paying the price for another aluminum one, but it wouldn't match my truck at all and I can't see painting aluminum, kinda defeats the purpose of having aluminum!

Wouldn't be without ours. I just wish I had bought aluminum instead of steel. I can't even remember why; steel was probably cheaper. And they do cut way down on the wind resistance that comes with pulling a fiver. Nothing has blown out- yet- since I got it.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I bought one of the cheaper steel ones and had it powder coated to match the truck. Looks very good IMO, and works a treat.

I never cared much for the looks of the V gates, but that is a nice looking, well kept truck!

Jerry
Thank you. It's a 2001 and is kept under a cover for probably 9 months out of the year. ๐Ÿ™‚ Just turned over 100,000 miles a year and a half ago.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
I bought one of the cheaper steel ones and had it powder coated to match the truck. Looks very good IMO, and works a treat.

I never cared much for the looks of the V gates, but that is a nice looking, well kept truck!

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChuckV1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Owned 5er's for about 20 years, thought about a louvered tailgate. Thought was as far as it went! IMHO a complete waste of money.

For a $100 deductible I will keep my tailgate WITH backup camera. Yes I can say it's a waste of MY money.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I probably would not have one if I could open my tailgate while hitched up. But some fivers these days, you cannot.

That being said, I like the Custom Flow, and find it very handy, very rugged, and looks good. If I wasn't going with steel or aluminum, I would just skip the plastic and go with the net style. I would not go without anything, at least a piece of wood. Stuff flies/slides out too easily without something.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought a used Custom Flow off Craig's list for the 2001 Ram, matches the trucks body lines and provides smooth air flow, easy to hitch and unhitch. What I like about the custom Flow is it is all steel, and you can use just like a regular TG! I stand on it place the hitch on it when either removing or installing. They now come with locks, and a filler so with a locking cover the bed is secure.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Carlson louvered tailgate for about 3 yrs now, still looks "new" the only thing I do is spray it with WD 40 at the beginning of the season to keep things loose. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 2 Carlsons. The one on my son's 04 RAM is 13 years old and the one on my 06 Chevy is 8 years old, Neither has faded enough to be noticeable.

My son runs his all the time. I do take mine off and reinstall the stock tailgate if I'm not going to be towing for a couple of months.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"