cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fix for gelcoat fron caps that are faded?

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
Any body guys or restoration buffs out there. Please read this thread and let me know if this will hold up.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-thursday-night-detailing-classes/79542-how-wetsand-cut-buff-gel-coat-boat.html

Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to get Jayco to fix my front cap on my 2012 HT 26.5 RLS, said cap was put on in the fall of 2013, but they wouldn't do anything for me. Will be taking it in middle of April for a paint and clear coat job. Hope to heck it holds up.
John A. Lichty

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Keystone Laredo, with the brown front cap. It faded, so I called Keystone, and they paid to have it repainted. All we had to do was buy the new decals. Only tough part was finding a body shop with a paint booth to accommodate a trailer. The local Kenworth dealer said they would paint it but didn't want to put the decals on. Found a body shop that did work for a local RV dealer. They did a great job and it looks brand new. Did this about a year ago.

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have painted the caps can you shoot clearcoat over the decals to keep them from drying out and peeling later or are they to big to clearcoat?

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
Pay for paint and clear. Mine was fixed and looks great. 2014 crusader.

Did you paint it the same dark color?

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Pay for paint and clear. Mine was fixed and looks great. 2014 crusader.

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
I did. Since it was used they declined. Thanks for the thought.

AUwing2
Explorer
Explorer
Approach the manufacturer for a repair. These were several know issues as the darker colors became popular a few years ago. Don't accept their first "no" as they've most likely at a minimum, shared the cost of painting the cap. Painting is the solution

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
SK734, get it painted. Spring for the epoxy & clearcoat & never worry about it again.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used unit. thanks for the thought

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
sk734
The factory replaced my cap under warranty call them it may still be under warranty the gel coat I think is 2 years
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Probably not what you want to hear but I had ours repainted with an epoxy paint.
It was just one color (white) and with everything it was $800 +Tax.
The good thing is it is very durable and stays shiny.
I would recommend the epoxy paint as well.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Probably not what you want to hear but I had ours repainted with an epoxy paint.
It was just one color (white) and with everything it was $800 +Tax.
The good thing is it is very durable and stays shiny.

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Crusader. It is a 2015 and it is dark brown. I will probably paint it the tan color to match the side. Thanks for the reply

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! The mistake was made the day the gelcoat was sprayed on the mold. Boats should be any colour as long as they are a shade of white. Dark colours on a boat exposed to the sun just do not last.

Weight is not so much a concern so boats tend to have thicker gelcoats than RVs.

An awful lot of labour & material went into restoring that boat. Maybe more than it is worth. RVs can be restored. 300 grit pads are extreme. Better to start with something like 3M rubbing compound. It is available in different grades depending on oxidation.

There is no such thing as one step to fix it. Start with the coarse compound & repeat using a finer compound to eventually multiple coats of a pure wax or sealant. Lots of work. Keeping it looking good will take waxing at least once a year.

If it is really that bad I'd look into having it sanded & painted with automotive paint followed by a couple coats of clear coat. That will have it looking better than new gelcoat.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on who made the cap for you 5th wheel it could very easily have inferior gel coat. Most of the dark brown and dark grey caps done since around 2013 have crappy gel coat on them. It's not the same as a boats.
Most everyone thats doen the 3 step process has reoccuring fade again. BTDT. I've done mine a few times and within 6 weeks or so it starts fading again. I have not done the sanding part though. From what I've read the problem is within the gel coat.
What 5er do you have?