cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forest river cardinal vs keystone Montana ?

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
Been researching Montana's for a while and found the floorplan we like. Wife just saw a cardinal with similar floor plan and likes it. However salesman cannot answer any of my questions about the unit didn't seem to know much of his product. Any insight on a cardinal would be greatly appreciated, any known problems, looking at a 2014 model.

From researching their site it looks like the Montana's and Cardinals are apples and apples.

Specifically talking about the cardinal 3727re vs Montana 3625re.

Thanks for any info
30 REPLIES 30

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Endricken wrote:
You might want to check out/compare how active and useful each brand's Owners Forums are.
Back in 2007, based on much research regarding owner satisfaction versus complaints I narrowed my "upper" mid-range RV search to Jayco or Keystone Montana. At THAT time, Forest River did not seem to have as good of a "reputation". Montana Owners Forum (FREE) is great and due to many more Montana's available than Jayco's, I ended up with an 05 Montana Big Sky that has only suffered from non-Keystone component failures (like the Dometic Fridge and AC, plus many other more minor issues).

Cardinal has a very active user club www.cardinalrvclub.org. The head of the club regularly meets with people at the factory. They listen to his/our input. Cardinal brings new rigs to our rallies etc. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Sister and her Husband traded their Montana in for a Cardinal last year. There were things they liked on the Montana but they love the Cardinal. I have to say it is a very nice looking coach.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

We’ve been looking for a reliable 5th wheel to replace our “Montana.” Although it’s been a fairly good coach, the “Keystone” warranty is absolutely the worst we’ve ever experienced. They intentionally held us off on a roof repair until our warranty expired after approval, then denied the claim. “Cost us a bundle. We’ll NEVER purchase another “Keystone” product again and have spread the word about their customer support. 

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out/compare how active and useful each brand's Owners Forums are.
Back in 2007, based on much research regarding owner satisfaction versus complaints I narrowed my "upper" mid-range RV search to Jayco or Keystone Montana. At THAT time, Forest River did not seem to have as good of a "reputation". Montana Owners Forum (FREE) is great and due to many more Montana's available than Jayco's, I ended up with an 05 Montana Big Sky that has only suffered from non-Keystone component failures (like the Dometic Fridge and AC, plus many other more minor issues).
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
For the price of either I'd be looking at NuWa.

Is NuWa back in business building trailers. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Montana changed their Decal vendor 3 or 4 years ago and It appears the decal complaints have gone down on the Montana owners forum. We have a 13 big Sky full body paint. IMO it was a mistake as the paint is fragile and chips easily. I should have stayed with the decals.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
For the price of either I'd be looking at NuWa.

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
One is Keystone's top RV and the other is Forest River's. Both are comparable companies and the RV's are comparable too. Probably boil it down to price and the colors you want. If you are worried about decals get the full body paint with a Big Sky. Worried about the slide floors rotting then just check them after heavy rains. They both will have problems as all RV's do. They are on the same level, if you want better look at the Landmarks, Mobile Suite or even Redwoods etc. Of course the price goes up..........
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
I've yet to find a Montana owner that hasn't complained of their decals

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Unless Montana switched their decal suppliers in the past 5 years, be prepared to replace them after a few years sitting in the sun. Look at the older Montana's compared to the Forest River line.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Buy what YOU like.....

Build is almost the same anymore, so pick the one you like better.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Owned a 2003, 2006, and a 2010 Montana and had no major problems out of any of them. Traded last year for a Landmark in order to get the Full body Paint.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my Cardinal new in 2006 and only a few minor issues. Mine is the 362BHS LE, 40' and pull it with a dually. I would by another Cardinal or Cedar Creek, I do like some of the Montana's too. Good luck with your search, they've made so many improvements since I bought mine.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

dixiejohn
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Cardinal that was a great unit. I traded it for a Cedar Creek that we have fulltimed in for 3 years now with only the usual problems. So I guess you could say I'm partial to Forest River products.