cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forest river quality

Explorer
Explorer
ready to buy a cedar creek fifth wheel,but after ready so many neg comments about forest river quality and factory support I am not sure now.....Does anybody have any positive or neg experiences with forest river products especially cedar creek. looking to buy the 38rd.... THANKS
45 REPLIES 45

RVFurniture
Explorer
Explorer
There is a place for some aftermarket furniture for your RV. If you are in need of a dining table, dining chairs, end tables, coffee table, along with other misc. items made out of wood. I don't know if this is acceptable or not, but try rvfurniture.com They do not import their items and are made with quality here in the USA

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
SissyBoyFloyd wrote:
Could someone please list in order of top of the line model to lowest end model of Forest River 5th wheels. It is funny that their site gives no indication of which units are better made or more luxurious than the others. No indication of which is top of line or whatever.

If I had to guess I might say the Cardinal, but really not sure.

Could you help me with this one. I want to by a new 5th wheel to live in the rest of my elderly life, and the price of the Forest Rivers is no object. It is either a new FR, or a used top of line like a Teton.

I am impressed with what you all have raved about service with FR.

IMO Cedar Creek is is top closely followed by Cardinal. Again IMO
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

SissyBoyFloyd
Explorer
Explorer
Could someone please list in order of top of the line model to lowest end model of Forest River 5th wheels. It is funny that their site gives no indication of which units are better made or more luxurious than the others. No indication of which is top of line or whatever.

If I had to guess I might say the Cardinal, but really not sure.

Could you help me with this one. I want to by a new 5th wheel to live in the rest of my elderly life, and the price of the Forest Rivers is no object. It is either a new FR, or a used top of line like a Teton.

I am impressed with what you all have raved about service with FR.

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 2 Jaycos, 4 Montana's and 1 lousy Landmark that I recently traded for the 4th Montana.
My parents owned a 2008 Flagstaff TT and in 2011 it was out of warrantee and the roof leaked and the rear and side fiberglass bubbled. Forest River took care of it and re-skinned the entire camper as well as a new roof. No cost other than transportation. My parent traded it for a 2012 Flagstaff while it was being repaired. Now they are on their 3rd Flagstaff with the Diamond Package and 3 slide outs.

Forest River has to be a good company to do these repairs on an RV out of warrantee. It sure did build my parents trust in this company.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't put much stock in any RV furniture. Most is cheap stuff. I really doubt most people would buy it for their home. The average user only spends 20-40 nights maybe in the trailer. So that's like 3-5 weeks at home. If you bought a sofa or recliner and after 3-5 weeks you had trouble you'd take it back. Most furniture lasts at least a couple seasons, which gets it out of warranty and also out of the RV makers responsibility. I can't imagine having an RV recliner or sofa in my house for 5 years+ and being used everyday.

Granted
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Cedar Creek Silverback and I will say the furniture has not held out at all. The little sofa with air mattress went in the garbage last fall. We are now trying to decide just what to replace it with. Also on one trip the top of the dining table broke and fell off in the floor but I remember hearing that complaint from a Montana owner also. Unfortunately the warranty is past. It would be nice if Cedar Creek had a furniture store beside the factory so we would have some options for replacement.
Papaw Hal and Gramma Suzy
Diesel,Lottie and Ebony The Shar pei with Attitude
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 33L
2000 F350 XLT LA West Custom DRW 7.3 PSD
@ the Bridge: Ms Tascha 2003-2015

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
One of the sanest replies to this thread! I laugh so hard at the replies of, 'once owned a FR pop up, never again, do not buy'... Really they are made in different plants, do different specs and yet paint with the same brush.
Like saying I bough a crappy Chevy Sonic, so I am NEVER buying a Cadillac..... c'mon folks.

End of day, they make good and bad, even on teh higher end lines, it happens. I have a Sabre 36QBOK and am quite happy.

OP, your bigger question should be not what is quality, BUT who stands behind their product?
I can say that FR will stand behind product, and overall has high quality customer care.
Thor on the other hand.....
If I followed online ratings, I would never eat at a restaurant again...

Well stated, and let's not forget how important the dealer is... for any brand!

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I X3 Stefan post
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Stefan
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Thor and Forest River run the full range from really cheap to really expensive but that often has little relationship to quality level. I can only afford the less expensive and just do the easy repairs myself. FR is VERY easy to get along with for after warranty repair, but it helps if you can get to the factory in northern IN. At the annual rally in Goshen anything will be fixed free. I've seen walls, whole floors, refrigerators, axles, etc. replaced free at the rally. I got a free axle upgrade just for asking and being willing to drive to Goshen at a later date. Does any other manufacturer do this after warranty?

One of the sanest replies to this thread! I laugh so hard at the replies of, 'once owned a FR pop up, never again, do not buy'... Really they are made in different plants, do different specs and yet paint with the same brush.
Like saying I bough a crappy Chevy Sonic, so I am NEVER buying a Cadillac..... c'mon folks.

End of day, they make good and bad, even on teh higher end lines, it happens. I have a Sabre 36QBOK and am quite happy.

OP, your bigger question should be not what is quality, BUT who stands behind their product?
I can say that FR will stand behind product, and overall has high quality customer care.
Thor on the other hand.....
If I followed online ratings, I would never eat at a restaurant again...
Stefan
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD, 3.73, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6.0L (loving it!)
2003 Layton lite 232 BH

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
My Cedar Creek has been as perfect as one can expect. In 9 years it never went back for a factory defect. CC's are well made, offer a lot of bang for the buck, and factory support is fantastic IMHO. Even for my 9 year old rig, all I have to do is call them with serial number and get the correct parts I have needed. There is maybe only one or two other companies that take care of their customers this good. The naysayers either have never owned a CC or are repeating what they heard from a friend of a friend of a friend.

Cedar Creek re-did the clear-coat on our 07' Daydreamer last fall at no cost, at our time-table and with no hesitation on their part,,that's customer service! When you see a guy in front of a nice fiver with a big grin on his face he's probably a "creeker", we get compliments on our rig all the time!

Red Green:
Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're

all in this together

Mallard sent u a private e-mail
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
FR is no worse than any of the other major brands (Thor, etc). And no better.

I love our Brookstone and will not be changing it out for many years to come. But that came at a price of too many construction issues that had to be repaired under warranty.

So many issues people have are subcontractor issues, so many of the components purchased from other company's fail. But some of that still falls on the RV manufacturer, who wants as cheap as they can get it, and the subs fight and scrimp to meet those demands.

But we also had issues that were because of poor quality control. We got them all fixed under warranty, but I don't want to go through that again. I also know, having other brands, that the Russian roulette game is played with all of FR's direct competitors as well as with FR products.

Lastly, being an auditor for 30 years, I don't trust any statements that everything about a product is perfect based on ones own experience. I especially don't trust new products. I hope they are as good as all the initial hoopla, but I would give it a few years to shake out the truth.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

KY_JOE
Explorer
Explorer
Henry, we have had a Lacrosse by primetime witch is owned by forest river that had leak after leak in the outside kitchen door to the point that water had started to warp the wood on the cabinets they had replaced the outside kitchen door 4 times and one of the door cracked with in a week of being put on. they could never find a "fix" for this problem so we took a loss on this camper because it was only 10 months old and we bought it new..

The second night mare we had was a new Sandpiper 35ROK that had to have a whole new roof put on at the factory due to someone at the factory not securing the under lying roof sheeting and then after that every time it would rain the bedroom slide would leak. We hauled it to the dealership 8 times with in 3 months and it still would leak they would "fix" it and spray water all over and it would be dry we would pull it on the road and set up to camp in and the leak would come back in the same spot over and over again... we finally got a lawyer involved and forest river bought us this GRAND DESIGN REFLECTION 337 to take the place of the Sandpiper. Also the Sandpiper was 7 months old when they replaced it.
THE GREENWELL'S
JOE , MELISSA , EMILY
MAYSVILLE, KENTUCKY

2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2014 RAM 3500 DUALLY CREW, 4X4 CUMMINS

ROUGHING IT THE EASIEST WAY WE KNOW HOW!

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had very few problems with my Cherokees and would buy another.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a 2001 Cardinal since '03 and are currently sitting in it in Florida. In the 12 years we've owned it we've never experienced a problem with our fridge or furnace. Had to replace the heating element in the water heater last year. Did an axle 3 years ago due to my poor driving. This has been a gem of a rig.

After saying what a nice rig it's been we are at Lazy Days/Tampa right now waiting for our '15 Cedar Creek Silverback RE to be brought to our site so we can transfer our stuff over. It's a nice unit. While looking for another rig our primary focus was finding another Forest River, either Cardinal or Cedar Creek. Those 2 are our favorite FR products. Not so crazy for the other FR models though.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator