cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

forest river quality

Explorer
Explorer
ready to buy a cedar creek fifth wheel,but after ready so many neg comments about forest river quality and factory support I am not sure now.....Does anybody have any positive or neg experiences with forest river products especially cedar creek. looking to buy the 38rd.... THANKS
45 REPLIES 45

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rv-coach.com/rv/rating/rate_your_rv_results.htmlhttp://www.rv-coach.com/rv/rating/rate_your_rv_results.html

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
The customer service with Cedar Creek has been great so far much better than my Heartland product.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
My Cedar Creek has been as perfect as one can expect. In 9 years it never went back for a factory defect. CC's are well made, offer a lot of bang for the buck, and factory support is fantastic IMHO. Even for my 9 year old rig, all I have to do is call them with serial number and get the correct parts I have needed. There is maybe only one or two other companies that take care of their customers this good. The naysayers either have never owned a CC or are repeating what they heard from a friend of a friend of a friend.

Cedar Creek re-did the clear-coat on our 07' Daydreamer last fall at no cost, at our time-table and with no hesitation on their part,,that's customer service! When you see a guy in front of a nice fiver with a big grin on his face he's probably a "creeker", we get compliments on our rig all the time!

Red Green:
Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're
all in this together
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
I was just at a rv show standing in a solitude and the factory rep asked what I had I said a cedar creek he turned and walked away.
You cannot beat a cedar creek

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Dont want to high jack the thread but thanks geotech1 for the lengthy post. his rockwood has a skin on the underside and not a belly skirt. The best I could guess to do is drill small holes in the floor from above and inject foam and then weight it so it's not wavy. We only considered this as he wanted to cover the floor with something else anyway. Thanks for your ideas, we may try something like that.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Every RV brand I buy I swear I'll never buy another. Problem is as I get older I'm running out of choices ๐Ÿ™‚

All RVs are made sub par IMO. But what can I expect for how much they cost? Dealing with poor quality is just a way of life unless we consumers are willing to pay. And there are some manufacturers that make REALLY nice high quality stuff but you'll pay for it.

As far as what I have to offer to the OP's question, I currently own a Salem TT (made by FR) and it's been marginal. There have been the usual cheap quality things like doors falling off the hinges and whatnot. My axles and wheel bearings failed in less than a year and had to be all redone. The dealer told me it was because I let the trailer sit for too long (again, this was in less than a year so I'm not sure on that one?). The electric side of my water heater has failed twice (dealer tells me it's from using it too much?) Now, my water pump just failed after less than 3 years with pretty light use.

To me this is about what I expected for the $$ paid. Overall, it's a fun trailer and I enjoy it. The problems are just part of the routine as far as I'm concerned.

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own a Cedar Creek, but will say it seems like a nice 5er and was on our short list when we bought all three of our 5ers. IMO they were very much like the Montana - lots of bang for the buck. I did notice a lot of fit and finish issues, mostly minor, that also plagued the Montana I was looking at before my latest purchase. In my eyes it was a toss up between the two, but in the end I elected to spend some extra $$ on a rig that seemed much more solid and has a rep for very good customer service from the maker. Only time will tell and after owning 3 mass-produced rigs in an industry with lacking QA standards, I won't be surprised at all when issues pop up. Good luck.
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

2011 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD DRW, CC, Duramax, 4x4, Curt 20K hitch

2015 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

2020 Forest River Wolfpack 365Pack16 Toyhauler with a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture in the garage

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It might be worth the $$ to check with the RV Consumer Group, www.rv.org to see how they rate the units you are interested in. One of their categories used to be Value ie. deterioration, depreciation...
You could also search this Forum for the make and/or models.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I am very happy with our FR product and would buy another.
One of the big things that lead me to them was excellent warranty support. They took care of even the most minor cosmetic issues without any arguments and replaced our AC twice because it vibrated.

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
...how do you fix it? Get rid of it!

Nah, don't have to get rid of it... Read on (long).

The foam doesn't break-down, the flexing of the floor under load causes the composite sandwich to come apart and then the skins and foam move independently of each other (and then you can crumble up the foam with continued use. The strength of the material is from the composite action so that's what you have to restore. If it's out of warranty you can make a reasonable repair! We faced the same issue in our Shamrock (Rockwood sister line) right in front of the front end bunk. I did the repair in my driveway as a capable DIYer.

We had 1 bay width (space between frame-to-floor supports) delaminate across 3.5 feet of width. So, about a 1.5-foot by 3.5-foot area. Obviously, I did not want to disturb the finished interior floor at all. I used 1.5-inch hole saw to cut 3 holes in along the centerline of the repair area on the underside. That is, 9 inches from either frame support with one hole at the center of the delaminated area and one hole at either end (approximately) of the area. I didn't have an enclosed underbelly on that camper, but if you do, you'll need to drop it. I cut through the insect/rodent shield fabric and bottom ply of the composite with the hole saw and immediately stopped when the ply was penetrated โ€“ so slow speed and letting the saw work without excessive force. I then removed the centering bit from the arbor and used the hole saw, turning by hand, to cut a core of the insulation out of each hole.

I then cut two pieces of 3/4" cabinet grade birch plywood (because it is more rigid and really flat and what I had on-hand) 16 inches by 48 inches. I screwed two strong backs - couple scraps of oak - to one piece to make it even more rigid because of how it would be used (explanation coming up).

I then put a 48-inch level diagonally across the area of the floor in the camper. Heading under the camper with some blocking and a small bottle jack, I placed the jack on the blocking directly under the center hole. I then extended the bottle jack through the hole till it just touched the luan below the vinyl flooring and then continued to raise it till the level inside teetered on about a 1/2-inch "mound."

Then back under the camper with a large bottle of Gorilla glue (polyurethane glue bonds foam to wood without dissolving the foam), a $9 Harbor Freight-MityVac knockoff hand pump so I could dispose of it when done, and 18" of PVC flex tube from for the hand pump. Through each of the end holes I had cut, I delivered the glue using the pump and tubing as best I could across all of the delaminated area between the luan and foam. When I was done, I took down the bottle jack and put some duct tape over each of the end holes - important so no glue drips out in the clamping stage!

Then, back inside with the piece of plywood without the strong backs and 3 bags of fertilizer (dead weight I had at hand). Place the plywood over the delaminated area and stack on the dead weight as evenly as possible. Now underneath the camper with the other piece of plywood and strong backs facing the ground, set the plywood between the frame support across the delaminated area and then use the jack (I actually used two) to press the plywood against the composite tightly plus a little more to press everything together for bonding. I snugged up the jacks after 15 minutes and then a half-hour to compensate for the glue squeezing. Hence, this is why you need to tape the holes so you donโ€™t bond the plywood accidentally. I left everything clamped till the following weekend. It was in the late spring so day/night temps were ideal.

Following weekend I removed my clamping and tried out the floor - solid! I removed the tape and using a can of adhesive, expanding landscape foam (found in the pond-building supplies of your local landscape supply and some big box stores) I filled the holes and let it expand out of them. Incidentally, the foam is pretty much what the factory uses in sealing underbelly enclosure penetrations and it's black. Once set, I trimmed off the excess flush and then patched the insect/rodent fabric with purpose-specific 4-inch wide seam tape I bought from an RV body/frame shop parts department for $0.85/foot (All-Rite brand material). I bought enough to go completely rail-to-rail, and once applied you wouldn't have known a repair was done!

I decided to add some "suspenders" to my repair and cut two pieces of 1-1/2-inch by 1/8-inch steel angle I had around to span between the frame supports and welded flanges to either end for mounting. Primed and painted them and installed them snug against the underside nice and tight. Owned that camper for two more seasons after the repair and it stayed nice and solid!

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
You will hear many negative posts about forest river and many positives about cedar creek. How's that for confusing? Here's how it works
Forest river is a HUGE company owned by an even bigger company (Berkshire Hathaway- warren buffet). Forest river has been buying up many other Rv companies and one of those is Cedar Creek.
Forest river then manufactures trailers under thier own name and these other companies do as well.
So quality and price are very much dependant on what model you buy.
All this is not unique at all. Thor industries does exactly the same with making trailers under thier name while owning keystone (cougar and Montana), airstream and many others.

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
Own a 15 year old CC fifth wheel and would absolutely do it again! I have yet to have to deal with factory support but I have heard nothing but rave comments from those that have.
Like a previous poster commented, I'm sure there are a few lemons or dissatisfied customers out there, but by and large they seem to be a good bargain for the dollar.
Good luck in your decision!
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
we had one Forest River product (deluxe popup camper) and will never buy another!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Cedar Creek has been as perfect as one can expect. In 9 years it never went back for a factory defect. CC's are well made, offer a lot of bang for the buck, and factory support is fantastic IMHO. Even for my 9 year old rig, all I have to do is call them with serial number and get the correct parts I have needed. There is maybe only one or two other companies that take care of their customers this good. The naysayers either have never owned a CC or are repeating what they heard from a friend of a friend of a friend.

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
Saw your cross-post with the FR forum too. No matter what make/model you buy in the mass production campers, you run the risk of getting one turned out that's sub-par. Realize that most people are driven to complain anywhere and everywhere they can too, but how often do you see someone going out of their way to deliver resounding praise? Further, if you took the TOTAL number of members of all of these internet forums together, you arrive at a rather small percentage of total units built, sold, and being camped in over the last couple years, 5 years, decade, and longer!

When your unit arrives, make sure your PDI is extremely thorough before you sign anything. If you are new to this, find a friend that's old hand and spend time studying up here about what to look for and use the PDI checklists found on these forums to guide you. Don't worry about how long your inspection takes, just worry that you are satisfied you looked over everything and are OK with what needs to be corrected. My wife and I spent 3 hours completing our PDI after traveling ~6 hours to get our new TT, and the dealer was quite accustomed to long-distance buyers doing this!