cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Water Holding Tank - Do I need to keep water in it?

tommygun714
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

New 5th wheel owner. Wondering if I need to keep water in the fresh water holding tank for any reason other than, I might need water to drink or flush a toilet in an emergency. But today I struck camp to head home from my first trip out with out new cougar 5th wheel. We were only a few hours drive from how and I was thinking of draining the 60 gallon tank for the drive home.

Is there a reason for priming the water pumps of other that I should or should not completely drain?
2018 Keystone Cougar 25RES 1/2 ton - 25th Avers. Addition
'11 Chevy Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD Short Bed
Curt A16 Hitch w/ Slider
50Amp 2 air / RES = Rear Entertainment
28 REPLIES 28

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Tried carrying 1/3 or less when travelling for emergencies but more often than not when I needed water when stopped on the side of the road or anywhere when hitched the water pick up failed.

I'm thinking the angle of the trailer when hitched prevents water from getting pulled into the pump. Side to side angle can effect it also.

Now I dont travel with less than half.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I also let her rip. Why sit there and watch water drain out?

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
I've always found emptying the tank to be a 1/2 day job and not something I want to do on the day I'm trying to get out of camp.

I just drain mine going home. It is just plain water, open the valve and let it go as I drive home. Works for me.

I'll bet the guy behind you on the motorcycle doesn't appreciate that!!
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
I've always found emptying the tank to be a 1/2 day job and not something I want to do on the day I'm trying to get out of camp.

I just drain mine going home. It is just plain water, open the valve and let it go as I drive home. Works for me.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no good reason to run around empty. The amount of extra fuel needed to get the extra weight moving is not worth talking about. Likewise extra braking to stop it. What weight in the tank does help is add stability, especially in windy conditions or if you go into an exit corner a little too fast. Lowers the center of gravity of what is mostly a box full of air, most likely with heavy stuff like a loaded fridge on one side.

If I know I am going to be dealing with wind I try to be full. 100gal/800+# for me. If I know I will be dry camping or a night at Walmart on the way somewhere I have water onboard accordingly.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

nevadan660
Explorer
Explorer
If you know your destination camp has water why carry a full tank, keep less than a 1/4. Don't forget to drain system including water tank in winter when temps go below 32.
2005 CHEV-DURAMAX-HD2500-CREWCAB-4X4
2015 ARTIC FOX 295T FIFTH WHEEL

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine full, never know when or if you have to bug out. I change the water every 60 days or so if I havent used it
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I full time and keep my fresh water tank full. But I also run the water off the fresh tank using the pump. This way I do not have to worry about a pressure regulator on the hose or high water pressure from the RV park. It's just me so I have to fill the tank about 3 times every 2 weeks. Plus you never know when there will be a problem with the park's water lines. I also have a power fill setting on my rig so it doesn't take long to fill the tank.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
BarneyS wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:

Next time, try opening your low point drains and turn on the pump in addition to the drain in the bottom of the fresh water tank being open.
Barney

My old Komfort had a 1.5" drain in it, with a blade valve. =Loved= that feature! (As well as the gravity fill.)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are certain variables for the answer:

Size of the tank. Someone with a 100gal tank may only do a partial fill, while someone with a 36gal tank will do a full fill.

Type of use. Those going to full hookup sites are likely to just maintain a minimal amount in the tank for "while on the road use", while those dry camping are more likely to fill it.

Frequency of usage. Those who use their RV on a frequent basis year round are more likely to not drain than those who store it for a season.

Location during non-use. Those who store their RVs off-site are more likely to drain and/or not fill completely than those who store at home.

I had the privilege of talking to a sewer and water treatment employee for a park system. He showed me photos of the parks' potable water tanks. I'm not inclined to fill away from home. I know my water is clean and safe - I don't know what the water is like somewhere else.

I have a 40gal tank and I do not see a difference in mpg when it's full or empty.

As I also live in an area subject to drought and water restrictions, I would prefer folks coming from regions with no water shortages to bring their own water. Just seems to make sense to get water where it's plentiful rather than wait to fill in a place where the public restrooms are closed because there isn't enough water to operate them.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drain after our last planned trip of the fall. Sanitize and re-fill in the spring. Sometimes drain and re-sanitize mid summer if we travel in the summer. It gets so hot here no telling what kind of bugs are growing in that tank. We don't drink from it. Just flush, wash, and shower. Keep bottled water to drink.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
You are obviously going to find every possible variation of personal opinions and practices about the fresh water tank. Here is another:

+ I always drain the fresh water tank when we return from a trip, unless we have another trip planned in a few weeks.

+ I never fill the fresh water tank completely. I travel with the tank between 1/3 and 1/2 full for a long trip. That has proven sufficient and I see no reason to carry extra weight. If we go to a campground without water hook-up, we have always been able to add water to the tank before arrival.

There you have it--another opinion and practice.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:

Next time, try opening your low point drains and turn on the pump in addition to the drain in the bottom of the fresh water tank being open.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Runaway
Explorer
Explorer
I've always kept the tank full, even when in RV parks. Only time I emptied is when I stored for the winter.
"18" 3500HD Silverado LTZ Dmax/Ally, CC/SB/4x4
"14" Jayco 331 RETS

Retired USAF