cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front living area floor plans

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking for a year or so to replace our current fifth wheel ( gave up on the class A thinking ) and really like the front living room floor plans, really liked the Montana Models however at an RV show this past weekend we got to take a close look at one and found that there is practically no outside storage at least compared to our current fifth wheel. When I ask the sales person ( I know they are sale people )I was told it is a design and engineering issue and that's why there so much less storage in front living room floor plans ? Now I am not a engineer but I don't see what difference it makes as to what's above the storage area in fact I would think if it is a bathroom or bed room it would be more weight than the front living area and when it is a bathroom such as ours currently is the plumbing takes more space. There is another slide on the front living area floor plans but that should not take up all the storage . they do give you a small under bed area accessible from the outside but then that cuts into your inside under bed storage which we always have pretty much stuffed . Has anyone seen a front living room floor plan that has the common large basement storage area ? I know many manufacturers are now producing these floor plans.
Thanks
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's
30 REPLIES 30

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:
Funny when you get back home after a RV show or a stop at an RV dealers lot and your rig is sitting there not costing much all and nothing really wrong with it the bigger newer ideas seem to fade away a little bit and what you have is all you really need, I think you have to really fall for a floor plan or model or something to boot you in the butt to make a purchase. Thanks again for the replies
Mike
I had a similar experience at the Atlantic City show. One salesperson kept trying to get me to consider things I did not want. She told me I had a "very specific list of items I wanted". I told her that I already have a fifth wheel and that I don't really need to replace it. If she couldn't hit every single one of my check boxes, there was no point in calling me.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Wumba
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Sierra 377flik. Love it and the floorplan works great for us. That being said, could you full time in it? Probably not. The underneath attic storage is about half of some of the other rear living units. For week long trips, it suits us perfect tho. No real noise or extra heat from what some others have experienced.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
CWSWine wrote:
drillagent wrote:
CWSWine wrote:
I have the Keystone 3711FL front living room with the front window

CWS - what are your feelings about the front window. My question is, can you see out the window while sitting on the couch and the T.V. down? Is the front window worth it? Thanks.

If the front window was on option list that cost extra I probably won't check it. That said, I do like it. If you are sitting the couch you can't see people walking by. It does make the living room feel bigger and it does have shade if you want to pull it. You can't see in during the day but with lights on at night you can see in. It does also attract a lot of attention from fellow campers. Also expect the wife to add an additional task on to you honey dues list of cleaning the bugs off the front window. 🙂

The Front Window was the second thing after the lack of storage that we did not care for on the Montana front living room model , That window is pretty high so you wont see much looking out from any of the seating positions. I guess some may like it. And of course as was mentioned the bugs would be a pain , bad enough on the cap never mind a window in that position, Thanks to all that posted to this thread very helpful for our next purchase. Funny when you get back home after a RV show or a stop at an RV dealers lot and your rig is sitting there not costing much all and nothing really wrong with it the bigger newer ideas seem to fade away a little bit and what you have is all you really need, I think you have to really fall for a floor plan or model or something to boot you in the butt to make a purchase. Thanks again for the replies
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Mduvall901
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that switch location! It is black and we don't get home until dark and haven't looked in the day light. 🙂

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone looking at getting the Montana 3711 front living room here are my scale weights. Just barely stayed under our F350 SRW Diesel 1 ton ratings with GVWR of 11500 and I will have to watch were and what I add to stay that way.

Weights of my 3711 Front Living room
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
drillagent wrote:
CWSWine wrote:

CWS - what are your feelings about the front window. My question is, can you see out the window while sitting on the couch and the T.V. down? Is the front window worth it? Thanks.

If the front window was on option list that cost extra I probably won't check it. That said, I do like it. If you are sitting the couch you can't see people walking by. It does make the living room feel bigger and it does have shade if you want to pull it. You can't see in during the day but with lights on at night you can see in. It does also attract a lot of attention from fellow campers. Also expect the wife to add an additional task on to you honey dues list of cleaning the bugs off the front window. 🙂

Loanshark53
Explorer
Explorer
I have a front living room model which has plenty of ceiling clearance as well as storage underneath. We bought it because we can Semi close off the living room when we have guests and still have use of the kitchen.

The two couches on either side both fold out into one super large bed.

Having bought my first travel trailer without a lot of contemplation about the floorplan and features, I spent a lot of time researching the specifics of what we needed as we plan to spend 2-3 months at a time traveling in it.
Loanshark
Homebase - Roseville, CA
2016 K-Z Durango Gold G380 FLF
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel
Reese Manual Slide 5th Wheel hitch

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
CWSWine wrote:

TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu

Elk4me
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 2013 Montana Mountaineer FLF375. It has about a 3ft. wide passthru storage under the living room and the storage under the bed. It would have been nice to have a little more outside but the floorplan is nice. There is the area under the front but if you put a generator in there you will loose that. I am retiring in three weeks and we have been living in it full time since September. We are still downsizing and trimming weight to start traveling so hopefully we can eliminate the need for too much more storage. We definitely want to remove one couch and put in a couple recliners instead. The couches are not that comfortable and the Euro-recliner was the first thing out the door. I have a bad back and that killed me.

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
Mduvall901 wrote:
I have a 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL. We can't find a switch to turn on the ceiling fan/light in the kitchen. Does anyone know where it is located? We are baffled.

It is the large rocker switch in with the other switches for the slides and lights.

I have the Keystone 3711FL front living room with the front window and agree with the outside storage but inside has lots of storage and lot more than any other 5er I have owned. The bedroom storage with 9 draws and two closets in slide the width of the bed room and no cramped up into the nose area. Even enough room to put a extra dinning room chair at the foot of the bed and still can open draws. The pantry is 24 inches deep with 30 inches wide.

With most of the weight going behind the axles in the aft of the axles in the kitchen, fridge, bathroom and bedroom lowers the pin weight down closer to 21% which is rare for 40 foot 5er. Now the wife can bring all the shoes she wants and doesn't add pound of weight to the the pin lol....

Mduvall901
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL. We can't find a switch to turn on the ceiling fan/light in the kitchen. Does anyone know where it is located? We are baffled.

Widows_Son
Explorer
Explorer
We sure do like our Jayco Eagle 339FLQS. Jayco has two other front living models in the Pinnacle line and they are huge. Our Eagle is plenty for us and the occasional grandchildren. No cooling problems or noise issues with the dual AC units. I'm 6' 4" and I have plenty of headroom.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually Long bed 4x4
6.7 HD Cummins TD, Aisin Transmission, 3.73
2015 Jayco Eagle 339FLQS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
Do these front living room 5th wheels have a ceiling fan in them. I can't imagine sitting up there in the summer. Our ceiling fan is going almost all summer long.

I don't think there's head room. Isn't the FL height the same as a front bedroom. No ceiling fans in bedrooms.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Do these front living room 5th wheels have a ceiling fan in them. I can't imagine sitting up there in the summer. Our ceiling fan is going almost all summer long.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out