cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full body paint....worth it?

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
After searching and looking for the better part of a year, it is time to order our rig (2015 XLR Thunderbolt 340x12hp toy hauler). The rig will be outside 365 days of the year,unless I can stumble upon a covered storage center for the winter (have not had any luck finding any though). We will use it during weekends and 1-2 big trips per summer.

The upgraded packagewith painted front cap and upgraded graphics is nice, but the full body paint is something altogether more appealing to us. I think it is about 7k upgrade for the FBP......so, for those that have it, is it worth it? Would you do it again? Aside from the better looks, am I correct in guessing it will hold up better (appearance wise) to the sun and elements vs stickers? Someone told me the stickers and graphics will likely fade and wear quickly...true?
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie
48 REPLIES 48

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I think if your going to be in the sun a lot and keep it a long time then it's well worth it. In fact I wont buy our next RV (fiver) without it because we'll be traveling throughout the sun belt .
However, if your the type that trades in every five years then I'd skip it.

Agree X12
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

tsenior
Explorer
Explorer
Before every trip I clean my truck, trailer and armour-all the tires. I also check the fluid levels and tires. I want my rig clean, sharp and reflect my style. If money is not an issue...FBP. Most people care about the paint on their cars, motorcycles and houses....cosmetic. Why not get the best you can afford for your rv? I just got a 2015 Alpine with that huge ugly decal advertisement / mountainscape on the cap...UGLY UGLY. I might remove the decal and name it like a boat. I did that to my Montana 5er.
"GROOVIN"
2011 Montana 3455RL
2005 F-350, 4x4, DRW
Prodigy brake controller

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
HSVBamaBob wrote:
gtsum wrote:
this will be our first fifth wheel...only other camper we have had was a small pop up (I grew up camping and travelling around the country when younger in a Class A though). I would think we would keep it longer than 5 years...I can only see moving to a diesel pusher A in the future,

We are in the same boat you are in gtsum (we are considering a Cedar Creek 38RD as a retirement upgrade from our current 5er) and the FBP is a $7K option on the 'creek as well. Like you, our rig will be outside 365 days a year and we plan on traveling to the high country & desert southwest (decidedly decal-hostile environments! :E )

You mentioned something else: time of ownership. Even though this is your first 5er, a 'Bolt is about as big as you can go so I seriously doubt you will get a case of upgradeitis in fact, if you move to a Class A you will probably be downsizing :B

So with those factors in mind, I would say go for the FBP (we are!)

BTW, what are you gonna pull your 'Bolt with? Always like to compare TV notes (1T Dually Dodge 4x4 here)

Thanks for the thoughts. We will be towing with a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, so yes, the 340 is about as big as I want to go and the truck is my daily driver so a dually is out of the question for where and how I drive for work.

I "think" this rig would be with us for awhile, as I really wouldn't have any other inclination aside from a Class A...and I really prefer a diesel truck over a gas truck, so I cant imagine going with a Class A gasser. Class A diesels being the price they are, and our kids are 4 and 7 years old, I doubt we would use the class A enough to justify the cost so I think that = a ways down the road (I think!).
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome

HSVBamaBob
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:
this will be our first fifth wheel...only other camper we have had was a small pop up (I grew up camping and travelling around the country when younger in a Class A though). I would think we would keep it longer than 5 years...I can only see moving to a diesel pusher A in the future,

We are in the same boat you are in gtsum (we are considering a Cedar Creek 38RD as a retirement upgrade from our current 5er) and the FBP is a $7K option on the 'creek as well. Like you, our rig will be outside 365 days a year and we plan on traveling to the high country & desert southwest (decidedly decal-hostile environments! :E )

You mentioned something else: time of ownership. Even though this is your first 5er, a 'Bolt is about as big as you can go so I seriously doubt you will get a case of upgradeitis in fact, if you move to a Class A you will probably be downsizing :B

So with those factors in mind, I would say go for the FBP (we are!)

BTW, what are you gonna pull your 'Bolt with? Always like to compare TV notes (1T Dually Dodge 4x4 here)

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Winged One wrote:
It's kind of like an auto-leveling system. You don't think its worth the cost until you have one, then you are glad you do.

Auto level reduces the workload. Auto level provides one touch convenience, no doubt auto level is required in my book.
However FBP is totally cosmetic. FBP is more about style than substance.
The two options are not in the same category for me

X2. I have the auto leveling but will never waste $7,000 on paint.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Winged One wrote:
It's kind of like an auto-leveling system. You don't think its worth the cost until you have one, then you are glad you do.

Auto level reduces the workload. Auto level provides one touch convenience, no doubt auto level is required in my book.
However FBP is totally cosmetic. FBP is more about style than substance.
The two options are not in the same category for me.
Auto level is standard on my rig, FBP optional.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
DW made the decision for us. She would not own anything without the FBP. What we won't do for peace and tranquility!
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

rb71
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 views on this.

1st it shore does look a whole more high end.

2nd would be get a rv port for less then the fbp and never have a problem with streaks or leaks.

Congrats on your new trailer.
Bobby
2014 Ram 3500 mega dually
2013 Voltage 3895
Pullrite 4400

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Auto level is a certainty on the order. I'm still on the fence about fbp. Honestly, I'm trying to justify fbp on a rig that will msrp for around 90(get for 60 or so). I can easily see fbp on a more high end rig, but this being a kid range rig and if we use it 40-50 nights a year I am still contemplating it. No doubt it will look nice sitting there and going down the road though!
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
$7,000 will buy a lot of fuel and several wash/wax jobs! No FBP for me.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Winged One wrote:
We bought ours off the lot, and it was a left over model. If I had to order, I don't know if I could cough up the kind of dough they wanted for it. But this was a great deal.

And now I can say its been much easier to deal with than my previous white fiberglass.

The easiest though was our 1988 Jayco with the aluminum sides. Virtually no maintenance.

Is the white on yours paint or clear coat over fiberglass?

It's paint. When we bought the trailer, it came with bottles of touch up paints of all the colors, including the "white", which is really an off-white.
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Winged One wrote:
We bought ours off the lot, and it was a left over model. If I had to order, I don't know if I could cough up the kind of dough they wanted for it. But this was a great deal.

And now I can say its been much easier to deal with than my previous white fiberglass.

The easiest though was our 1988 Jayco with the aluminum sides. Virtually no maintenance.

Is the white on yours paint or clear coat over fiberglass?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer

2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB