cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full remodel interior

rodknocker
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you ever had the interior re-done? Talking about cabinets, appliances (including residential reefer), floors, full monty refresh. We like our '03 Jayco, weighing cost of update vs a new unit.

As a contributing factor, I have already added Kodiak 13" disc brakes, 17.5 rims and Goodyear G114 tires. Moryde 4000 RE suspension, 5th Airborne pin box have also been added. Both AC units are less than 2 yrs old, new roof 3 years ago. All three slide out covers replaced last year.

One more question; back to the factory or find a shop that does that sort of work.
Craig and Cheryl with our dogs
Buddy (Maltypoo), Sally (English Springer)and Charley (King Charles Cavalier)
'06 Chev Duramax LBZ
'03 Jayco Designer Legacy 3610 RLTS
18 REPLIES 18

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
We remodeled our interior last winter..
This is our bedroom slide....:)

dw wants that bedroom looks like will be remolding

mike1poles
Explorer
Explorer
Craig,

We totally remodeled a 1991 Jayco. I actually did all the work myself. New cabinets, appliances, entertainment center, bathroom, floors (carpet and tile) and bedroom. Also have a cousin that buys "worn out" RV's and remodels them. Does a great job. Nothing to difficult about it, if can read a tape measure "wreaking" it out is easy. LOL If your not comfortable or don't have time, talk to a good, known handyman that has experience in remodeling, it does not have to be in RV's, but would help. The thing you have to remember is, everything is "patchable" or "fixable"! Don't hesitate to "jump in" and do it, if your game!
In 2008 we ordered the unit we have now, I've been "remodeling" and adding since we picked it up. Plus, still have a "to do" list of remodels to do. Have changed a lot, and plan to keep it many years.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
I don't see Cruella in that pic, was she downstairs?

Jack Swallow, maybe. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have put a pile of $ in upgrades. You also know that you will see very little of that in resale value. If you are the handy with your hands type of guy & have the time, go for it.

Gut it to the walls & build exactly what you want inside. Plan to keep it for a very long time afterwards. A custom is difficult to sell but if it makes you happy that does not matter.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see Cruella in that pic, was she downstairs?
Puma 30RKSS

5thwheelgypsy
Explorer
Explorer
That bedroom looks like a lot of added weight to tow!!

I was also curious about interior changes. I've briefly read about people re-wall papering or painting their interior walls. That would definitely give it a more residential feel.
Pinterest had some good pics.
It's all find and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

My blog: www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

rodknocker
Explorer
Explorer
HEH458 wrote:
I've been looking into doing the same thing. Our FW is in very good condition. I've looked into adding a residential refig, Mor Ryde IS w/disc brakes, RV Armor Lifetime Roof, new sofa and recliners plus a little bit of cabinet work. Can get all that for about $20k. The new FW's we've looked at are $80k and up. Also, you get a new one and you will probably have to deal with problems for awhile. Is $20k $$$? I guess it depends on your perspective. I know it's a lot less than $80+. I also know I have a good dependable FW that I've already done a lot of mods to vs a new one with potential issues and then doing mods to it.

This is about where we are in the thought process. The unit we would buy is mid 80's, a quarter of that for a suitable remodel leaves a lot of cash for diesel.

I appreciate all of the comments, especially any that have done a remodel. And if you would do it again....
Craig and Cheryl with our dogs
Buddy (Maltypoo), Sally (English Springer)and Charley (King Charles Cavalier)
'06 Chev Duramax LBZ
'03 Jayco Designer Legacy 3610 RLTS

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mike LeClair wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

Now this here, this is funny (and amazing!)

OP, Clearly you have spent a lot of $$$$ on your RV to this point and I admire that. It's kind of like the crossroad that all of us have hit with an older car. Spend the money to fix and repair or trade in for a newer model. NEVER and easy question to answer. I guess you have to ask yourself how much $$$$ can I, do I want to spend on this renovation/remodel. How will it stack up to a brand spanking new one with the "stuff" that I want to have. Which path makes the most sense to you and follow it - you will be happy!!

Good Luck!

Mike
Those slideouts sure make it roomier.:B

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Given that my FW has a very heavy Zieman frame, I've often wondered what the cost would be to have a completely new box dropped on it. 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:

LMAOROFL!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Over on Facebook, there are plenty of RV Groups that show their remodeling progress photos by do-it-yourselfers. Some are amazing, like redoing bathroom vanities, kitchens. Some are simple updates like painting walls and cabinets and redoing flooring.

We bought our final retirement 5er and have done simple updates, but for major, not sure we'd want to put anymore money into this one.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
At one time New Horizon would do a interior remodel, I don't know if they still do it. It would have to be the slow time of year as well. I'm sure it would be pricey as well as nice.

HEH458
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking into doing the same thing. Our FW is in very good condition. I've looked into adding a residential refig, Mor Ryde IS w/disc brakes, RV Armor Lifetime Roof, new sofa and recliners plus a little bit of cabinet work. Can get all that for about $20k. The new FW's we've looked at are $80k and up. Also, you get a new one and you will probably have to deal with problems for awhile. Is $20k $$$? I guess it depends on your perspective. I know it's a lot less than $80+. I also know I have a good dependable FW that I've already done a lot of mods to vs a new one with potential issues and then doing mods to it.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing that new cabinets and counter tops would be the most expensive part. While those are out, and possibly the island if you have one, the new floor replacement shouldn't be that expensive (depending on what you want).

That would be a tough decision since your present unit has a lot of costly recent upgrades that you really won't get your money out of. Of course if you remodel and stay with a 12 year old unit you will still have aged fiberglass, but on the other hand the overall quality could be better with an older unit.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!