Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

full timer rigs?

forkedhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Help Folks,
Buying a new rig and found these Columbus models. Does anyone know if they will hold up well when we go fulltime? Compared to Montana or maybe Landmark? Need your help before we narrow this decision down in a week or so....
66 REPLIES 66

beetle1
Explorer
Explorer
Forkedhorn went with 2013 Montana

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder what Forkedhorn - the original OP - ended up doing....
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new purchase...Enjoy!!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

beetle1
Explorer
Explorer
Well after the dust all settled, we have made a deal for a 2013 Montana. It appears to have the floor plan best for our needs. I do think every other model mentioned in the threads have a place, but price, construction and markdowns were best on Montana after about a dozen negotiations on everything from DRV to Columbus. I really appreciated all the comments and opinions on here, tremendous asset to read the forum!!

bobbyterri
Explorer
Explorer
i don't consider anyone's thoughts and opinions to be nonsense....new to a fifth wheel, i am taking in everyone's opinions, thoughts, suggestions and will weigh them out with the research i find and what i find out when i visit the units and inspect them with a flashlight...even going to the factory is a great option!

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
They are what they are I guess. If some people need an independent review, regardless of the competency of the review, then go for it. They make their profit.

In the end, if the manufacturer warranties the product for full time use, who really cares what the consumer group says.

X2...if a company is confident enough in their product to warrant for fulltime use, THAT tells me something about the product and the company, especially for two full years and then some!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
They are what they are I guess. If some people need an independent review, regardless of the competency of the review, then go for it. They make their profit.

In the end, if the manufacturer warranties the product for full time use, who really cares what the consumer group says.
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyterri wrote:
homefor2

where did you get the information that redwood and others i did not mention are for full timing? i just purchased the report and only the ones i mentioned were in their list as full time. what others do you know that are warranted full time? thx.

Maybe there is come confusion here. I simply went to the search function on RVCG and chose "full timing" and a long list came up. It had nothing to do with "warranted full time" just rated "full timing".
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

bigmichael
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
bigmichael wrote:
I do agree with those who say you can FT in anything. We have been FTing 6 years, and have found FTers in many different kind of set ups. There will be differences in comfort and how well things hold up over the years, but people make it work for them.

But I think its at least wise to consider all of your options, and not underestimate the difference FTing can make in wear on your rig. Anyone who thinks there is not a MAJOR difference in wear and tear when you live in a rig 24/7 vs vacationing, weekending, or even snowbirding, is fooling themselves. And as the OP mentioned, they are considering moving a lot. Again, this is significantly different in use than even a FTer who sits still 5 or 6 months in the south in the winter and 5 or 6 months summering in the north.

Delightful read - but all nonsense

:h

What pray tell is nonsense about this??????? I'd consider this to be an excellent point.

Mind you, I have no idea about the rest of the quoted statement, as I have never read the RV consumer groups literature.

To imagine or suppose that there is no difference in wear on a unit, no matter how it is used, is indeed false.
It was the rest of the quote that was the nonsense. It was a theory at best as to what criteria RVCG uses, which does not align with the fact they listed blackwood in the full time list and not some of the others. RVCG is just outdated and poorly managed, making their conclusions irresponsible to the customer that pays for that junk. This is not my first issue with them.

I always hate to get these forums tangled up with facts LOL. But RVCG clearly lists the criteria they use in making their ratings. While anyone can certainly disagree to whether or not the criteria they use is an appropriate set of criteria, it seems it should be kind of hard to argue that what they indicate is the criteria is not in fact the case. They are a totally independent group, not receiving moneys from manufacturers or dealers, thus the cost of their info to the consumer.

Blackwood was not listed as a FT rated rig in the last ratings I am aware of, but I have not seen an updated copy in a few years. While you indicate you have issues with them, they are still the only independent group out there doing RV ratings. One can only wish there were more. But in any case, I expect most people on this forum have the capacity to purchase or go to a Library and exam their ratings on their own. And then evaluate the usefulness of the criteria themselves.

Peace.
2014 F350 Lariat
2013 Excel 36 RKM
Sir Reginald the cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him

bigmichael
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
2014 F350 Lariat
2013 Excel 36 RKM
Sir Reginald the cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
bigmichael wrote:
I do agree with those who say you can FT in anything. We have been FTing 6 years, and have found FTers in many different kind of set ups. There will be differences in comfort and how well things hold up over the years, but people make it work for them.

But I think its at least wise to consider all of your options, and not underestimate the difference FTing can make in wear on your rig. Anyone who thinks there is not a MAJOR difference in wear and tear when you live in a rig 24/7 vs vacationing, weekending, or even snowbirding, is fooling themselves. And as the OP mentioned, they are considering moving a lot. Again, this is significantly different in use than even a FTer who sits still 5 or 6 months in the south in the winter and 5 or 6 months summering in the north.

What pray tell is nonsense about this??????? I'd consider this to be an excellent point.

Mind you, I have no idea about the rest of the quoted statement, as I have never read the RV consumer groups literature.

To imagine or suppose that there is no difference in wear on a unit, no matter how it is used, is indeed false.
It was the rest of the quote that was the nonsense. It was a theory at best as to what criteria RVCG uses, which does not align with the fact they listed blackwood in the full time list and not some of the others. RVCG is just outdated and poorly managed, making their conclusions irresponsible to the customer that pays for that junk. This is not my first issue with them.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
bigmichael wrote:

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
bigmichael wrote:
I think there is a bit of confusion on this thread regarding RV consumer groups rating of FT rigs vs manufacturers that don't void the warranty if FTing. The people who are disputing the RV consumer group rating seem to be doing so based on the fact their warranty allows FT use, or the manufacturer claims 4 season use.

If I understand correctly, RVCG does not do their ratings based on the warranty. They do them based on the rig specs. Thus they assign a "weekend" or "vacation" rating to some, a "snowbird" rating to others, and a "full-time" rating to a few. They explain all of the items that go into their rating, things like frame, axels, other chassis components, actual insulation and where, solid wood cabinetry vs vinyl wrap, sidewall structure and build design, use of particle board, residential carpeting and pad etc. etc.

The RVCG material is expensive, so if one doesn't want to purchase it, it can be found in many or most libraries. Its good as another tool.

kakampers wrote:
If that was the case how did the Blackwood make their list?? .
X2

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate